Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 19:20   #1
ithaca_deerslayer

Took the 63 out today, switching to .22lr

Things are crazy in NYS. Anti-gun governor has pounced on political opportunity. His proposals include bans, confiscation of semi-automatic rifles, limiting pistols to 7-round mags, prohibiting internet ammo purchases, etc.

I've got stocks of ammo and guns, but I don't know how the future will shake out. Figure for now I'm going to put more time into shooting my .22's. Ammo is cheaper and there is more of it, and it is more easily replaced.

So had plenty of fun today with my S&W stainless 8-shot 3" barrel j-frame model 63. Since I have a 642, and the wife has a 637, for deep concealment carry guns, it sort of keeps us in practise for those

Was working on double-action shots, as well as quick single-action with the off-hand thumb cocking. All done at 20 yards, in the snow, plinking against a small steel silhouette, for that rewarding sound like Lucy hearing the nickle rattling the can in Charlie Brown

When I first got the 63 about a year ago, the DA was stiff, but I think it is starting to break in nicely now. I swear, I was shooting it as fast as a semi-auto Way faster than cocking with the off-hand thumb.

My next handgun in a year might be another revolver. And my wife is thinking about a lever-action .357, .44, or .30-30. I would have steered her toward an AR before this current mess, but I don't even know if we will be able to buy them anymore.

Kinda makes me want to go old school now and work on revolver and lever-action skills. Might even eventually drift into single-action Cowboy shooting competitions someday. I've got a Colt SAA like .22lr, so maybe next get a Colt SAA or a Ruger in .357. Or maybe I'll stick with the old school DA revolver learning for a while

There's lots of future and lots of guns yet to buy, no matter how much the anti-gun people hate America, freedom, and self-defense.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 19:43   #2
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
There's lots of future and lots of guns yet to buy, no matter how much the anti-gun people hate America, freedom, and self-defense.
Well said

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 22:33   #3
Caver 60

I might switch to 22 for some practice myself. At todays prices and replacement availability, I really hate to shoot up my stockpile of centerfire stuff. Fortunately I already own plenty of 22 firearms, both long guns and handguns.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 23:44   #4
Berto
woo woo

As much as I love my most contemporary firearms, I get a ton of enjoyment shooting the old stuff. I don't feel much of a disadvantage either.

Still, this political climate sucks....it's unbelievable to me how stupid people were for voting these ****clowns into office.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 00:38   #5
HAMMERHEAD

I won't address the political stuff, it gets my blood pressure up, but I do empathize.

I've almost completely gotten out of the semi auto game over the past year and am concentrating on my .357s and my .22s. I like the 'less is more' aspect of it.

I've really been enjoying my new-to-me 6 shot 4" SP101 in .22lr. Built in 2000 but evidently shot very little. The trigger was pretty bad at first, but it has smoothed out nicely with just a few hundred rounds downrange and some dry firing.

Still waiting for my 2013 range membership to show up, so my only shooting outlet this weekend has been shopping for .22lr ammo. That's a bit of a challenge in itself.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35   #6
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
I've almost completely gotten out of the semi auto game over the past year and am concentrating on my .357s and my .22s. I like the 'less is more' aspect of it.

I've really been enjoying my new-to-me 6 shot 4" SP101 in .22lr. Built in 2000 but evidently shot very little. The trigger was pretty bad at first, but it has smoothed out nicely with just a few hundred rounds downrange and some dry firing.

Still waiting for my 2013 range membership to show up, so my only shooting outlet this weekend has been shopping for .22lr ammo. That's a bit of a challenge in itself.
When I was shopping for a DA revolver in .22lr, I almost got the Ruger SP101 4". I had thought that setup was a new offering in that frame size, I didn't realize they had been making them already. Or is there a difference between the new ones and the old ones?

My wife has a 6" GP100 .357 that we both like very much. I'm seriously considering a SP101 .357 3" in my future someday

It is hard to pick between the S&W and Ruger revolvers
Old 01-13-2013, 07:42   #7
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

My wife LOVES her S&W 63. The only issue I'm having is the screw that holds the sighting plate in place continues to come loose. Probably need to add some Loctite to it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04   #8
pennlineman

The model 63 is my favorite .22 revolver. Just such a handy little package, I love it. I have all the "modern" guns I'll ever need. Still my passion is the old school guns. They are the ones I shoot, collect and carry the most.

If things get too rough up there in NY we have room for you here in Pa.
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:26   #9
collim1
Shower Time!

I bought a Ruger SP101 in .22LR just for practice. I'm not a big fan of semi-auto .22's, revolvers can handle a wider range of .22s without cycling issues.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29   #10
drizzle

I have a four inch Model 18 I really need to shoot more. I have a Mk II bull bbl in the range bag, along with about 8 mags, so that goes along no matter what else I take to the range. I should switch it for the M18 for a while.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37   #11
Bruce M

A Kit Gun is an excellent shooting companion for a J frame .38 just like a K22 is a good understudy for a K frame center fire revolver. Either can be great fun for an afternoon at little cost.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13   #12
HAMMERHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
When I was shopping for a DA revolver in .22lr, I almost got the Ruger SP101 4". I had thought that setup was a new offering in that frame size, I didn't realize they had been making them already. Or is there a difference between the new ones and the old ones?

My wife has a 6" GP100 .357 that we both like very much. I'm seriously considering a SP101 .357 3" in my future someday

It is hard to pick between the S&W and Ruger revolvers
AFAIK Ruger dropped the .22 version of the SP for a while before bringing out the new 8 shot version with the fully adjustable fiber optic sights. (I'm not a fan of the new high profile plastic sights on the SP or the Single 10)

The older models had fixed sights on the shorter barrels and low profile windage adjustable sights on the 4" versions like mine. I really love the windage only low profile sights. You can slip it into a pocket and draw snag free.

From what I've read, the 4" half lug .22 version is rare. You see more of the full lug models.

Mine looks like this; (pic credit to spoolup on XD Talk)
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by HAMMERHEAD; 01-13-2013 at 11:18..
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19   #13
ithaca_deerslayer

Hammerhead, is that older SP101 an 8 shot? Kinda looks like a 7.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 01-13-2013 at 11:21..
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20   #14
HAMMERHEAD

That is correct.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:21   #15
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
That is correct.
Sorry, I was editing, 6 or 7 is correct?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27   #16
DonD

I think any shooter who doesn't have some fun .22LRs is really missing out on loads of good and inexpensive fun. They don't have to be expensive guns just reliable and relatively accurate.

Sorry, Ithaca that you have to put up with the stupidity coming from Cuomo. Something more than the usual political dysfunction would have be present if the NY legislature approves any of the more obnoxious proposals he's recommended.

If passed, I think a quick, emergency trip to the nearest Federal Appeals court will result in an injunction preventing the enforcement of that garbage.

Scary is that liberal creep has his eyes on the 2016 presidential election. Maybe worse than the dolt that presently occupies the White House. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32   #17
HAMMERHEAD

Six shooters.
The offset notches probably threw you off.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:59   #18
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
Scary is that liberal creep has his eyes on the 2016 presidential election. Maybe worse than the dolt that presently occupies the White House. Don
Yeah, no matter what happens here in NY, I'm not giving up. He is headed your way in 2016.

We've got to fight against this anti-gun plague in America.

On the plus side, there's still an increased demand of new people here buying guns and getting carry permits. One reason my wife and I chose the 63 was to help teach newbies She's teaching some shooting lessons next week, so I better clean the 63 up when I'm done with it today