Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:33   #1
Z71bill

Light with remote on/off switch for a GEN4 G21

I am considering buying a light for my GEN4 G21 - but want one with a remote on/off switch.

I see this one for a G17,19,22,23

http://www.******tactical.com/stgltalipade.html

Not a bad combo price of $129 - free shipping no sales tax.

EDIT http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/produ...FQixnQod0UQAZg

But it does not say it fits a G21 - I read someplace that they in fact do not fit the G21 but when I compare my GEN3 G19 and GEN4 G21 they look like they are so close in size that I can't see why it would not work.

Anyone know if it would in fact fit a G21?

or

Know of another option for a light with a remote switch that would fit a GEN4 G21?

BTW as long as I am starting a thread - what is the reason for the "strobe" feature? Save battery? Blind an attacker? Maybe a flashing light will attract even more attention that a plain light. HEY BG that is trying to shoot me - I AM OVER HERE!!!

Last edited by Z71bill; 12-02-2012 at 20:03..
Z71bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 18:35   #2
Z71bill

Maybe I should just buy it - use the light on my G21 - remote if it fits - or just use the combo on my G19?

Old 12-02-2012, 21:12   #3
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22   #4
Z71bill

Just talking to myself no need to respond.

I ordered the Streamlight 69210 TLR-1s Tactical Light & remote combo today.

Now I will need to buy a holster that handles a light -

I wish someone made a holster like the Glock Sport combat holster that was able to handle a light.

Last edited by Z71bill; 12-03-2012 at 11:35..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55   #5
TomAiello

Please post and let us know if it fits your G21 when you get it.

Thanks!
TomAiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 15:42   #6
Z71bill

Since the interest in this thread was so great I figured I better follow up with my results.

I ordered it from "HCATOB" Tactical - on December 2ND - I got it today.

$129.95 - free delivery -

Even though the remote control switch does not indicate it fits the G21 - it fits perfectly - and at least IMHO looks better on the G21 than it does on the G19.

BTW - I am still wondering what I use the strobe feature for + the directions say it is not recommended to use the strobe with the remote switch. If anyone can answer these questions that would be nice.

I am happy to have the light on my GEN4 G21 - 18 rounds of 230 GR HST goodness - light or dark - is hard to beat.

G19
Sights, Optics and Lasers

G21

G21 with Arredondo +4 mag extension.

Last edited by Z71bill; 01-14-2013 at 15:50..
Old 01-14-2013, 16:02   #7
bentbiker
NRA Member

The strobe function is to disorient the BG. There was a demonstration on one of the TV gun shows that claimed you can almost walk right up to a BG using the strobe and he won't even recognize your movement toward him.
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 16:02   #8
97harley

I believe the auto on function is a function of a holster, not the light. I did some research when I put a light on my gen 3 G21. The strobe feature is to confuse the attacker from what I gather. I just wanted the light on mine just to see what I'm about to shoot since it's my nightstand gun
97harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 16:12   #9
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
The strobe function is to disorient the BG. There was a demonstration on one of the TV gun shows that claimed you can almost walk right up to a BG using the strobe and he won't even recognize your movement toward him.
I guess when using the strobe feature to disorient a BG you should say - in a creepy voice

"COME TO THE LIGHT"

Last edited by Z71bill; 01-14-2013 at 16:14..
Old 01-14-2013, 16:13   #10
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97harley View Post
I believe the auto on function is a function of a holster, not the light. I did some research when I put a light on my gen 3 G21. The strobe feature is to confuse the attacker from what I gather. I just wanted the light on mine just to see what I'm about to shoot since it's my nightstand gun
I don't understand what the holster has to do with anything.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:40   #11
SouthpawG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
BTW as long as I am starting a thread - what is the reason for the "strobe" feature? Save battery? Blind an attacker? Maybe a flashing light will attract even more attention that a plain light. HEY BG that is trying to shoot me - I AM OVER HERE!!!
A couple of little things to think about.

-if you follow a low light course there is a good chance your instructor will advise you to ditch the grip switch as it usually leads to a sizable number of light ADs. This is different on a rifle where activation is a much more conscious decision with your supporting hand. More than likely, the instructor will advise you to use the weakhand thumb for activation (also keeping your technique compatible with light activation on a shotgun or rifle).

-you will be taught to "flash and move". Quick burst of light, just long enough to quick scan the threat area, and move, usually to the side, to minimize shots aimed at your light.

-your weapon light is not a flashlight, it is an aiming and target identification tool. By the time you point your muzzle and weaponlight at something, you should have already decided that what ever is in front of your muzzle is very likely to be a threat. Your light burst will help you make your final shoot/no shoot decision.

-now, if you need your light burst to make that critical shoot/no shoot decision, it's advisable not to use a strobe function, as your identification will be somewhat impaired. Even more so (and you can test this): enter a room with multipe moving threats/object with the light on strobe, and you will find it hard to detect and track these multiple objects.

-strobe is fine for a handheld light as it can indeed be used to de escalate a emerging threat situation. But there is a good reason why Surefire (just to name one prominent brand) doesn't put strobe on their dedicated weaponlights.

Last edited by SouthpawG26; 01-15-2013 at 04:42..
SouthpawG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:01   #12
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
A couple of little things to think about.

-if you follow a low light course there is a good chance your instructor will advise you to ditch the grip switch as it usually leads to a sizable number of light ADs. This is different on a rifle where activation is a much more conscious decision with your supporting hand. More than likely, the instructor will advise you to use the weakhand thumb for activation (also keeping your technique compatible with light activation on a shotgun or rifle).

-you will be taught to "flash and move". Quick burst of light, just long enough to quick scan the threat area, and move, usually to the side, to minimize shots aimed at your light.

-your weapon light is not a flashlight, it is an aiming and target identification tool. By the time you point your muzzle and weaponlight at something, you should have already decided that what ever is in front of your muzzle is very likely to be a threat. Your light burst will help you make your final shoot/no shoot decision.

-now, if you need your light burst to make that critical shoot/no shoot decision, it's advisable not to use a strobe function, as your identification will be somewhat impaired. Even more so (and you can test this): enter a room with multipe moving threats/object with the light on strobe, and you will find it hard to detect and track these multiple objects.

-strobe is fine for a handheld light as it can indeed be used to de escalate a emerging threat situation. But there is a good reason why Surefire (just to name one prominent brand) doesn't put strobe on their dedicated weaponlights.
I have thought a lot about the grip switch --

Activating it is "sort of" like pulling the trigger.

The combo price I got ($130) was like getting the grip switch for $20-$25 - seemed like it was worth getting to play with - and I always had the option to not use it. I have never really seen the need to have a light on my HD pistol - bumps in the night are met with a Remington 870 - I may end up getting a rail and using the light on my shotgun.

I have only had the light for 20 hours - still getting use to it -

I like having the ability to flash on/off with grip switch - with light pointed down it seems safe - still enough light to make any room glow.

I can't reach the normal on/off switch with my thumb unless I change my grip - not something I want to do - maybe I have short thumbs -- but can reach it with my trigger finger.

Still to soon to tell - which way will work for me -

The strobe feature will never be used by me in a SD situation. It is sort of a PITA to turn on and I can't see myself messing with it in a high stress situation. The light combo package included the light with this feature - I can deactivate it if I want.

Old 01-15-2013, 22:42   #13
SouthpawG26

On a related note, Streamlight just introduced the 630 lumen (yep, that's right) TLR1HL at the Shot Show earlier today....

http://streamlight.com/en-us/product...t.html?pid=276
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45   #14
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
On a related note, Streamlight just introduced the 630 lumen (yep, that's right) TLR1HL at the Shot Show earlier today....

http://streamlight.com/en-us/product...t.html?pid=276
The 300 lumen light is already very bright -

I wonder if it cuts battery life down by 50%?

Last edited by Z71bill; 01-16-2013 at 13:03..