Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:52   #1
killersrt
Boondock Saint

Have you ever had too defend yourself with force?

I was just curious, how many people have actually had to shoot someone in a self defense situation? Most of the time, the sight of the person and/or gun will have the intruder running or at least cease to be a threat, but has anyone actually had it come to the point of life or death and chose to shoot the intruder? This question is more directed to the average joe and not so much as the LEO's in the line of duty.

*mods* I cant seem to find out how to make the thread a poll, so if there is any way one of you could make the poll with a "yes" and "no" answer selection that would be greatly appreciated
killersrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30   #2
SW342

Nope, and hope I never do.........
SW342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30   #3
hagar

I did beat the crap out of a guy with a Wilson T2000 tennis racket that was on drugs and tried to rob me when I was 17 or so...
Old 09-27-2008, 02:04   #4
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Not yet, but almost.

A few years ago I chose not to shoot a guy who was 3-4 feet away, with a bottle, coming at me fast.(most here disagreed with my choice. They were not wrong)

I made a snap decision, took my hand off my gun and I took him to the ground and beat the snot out of him.

He hurt me some, but I drove home,(then to a doctor the next day) but the cops took him away in an ambulance.

Cops knew I was carrying and said I should have shot him, no questions asked.

It took more than a year to go to court, he got a year, he gets out in a few weeks.

I wonder if he wants a re-match?

Today with my health the way it is, I'd have to make a different choice.

Hopefully I'll never have to.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:34   #5
Minuteman
Jeff Gannon???

"I hurt somebody's feelings once."

GT Voting Booth
"The Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions...A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, shall not be infringed" - Constitution for the U.S.A.
Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:25   #6
BManoftheyear

Send a message via Yahoo to BManoftheyear
I hope I never have to but I will if the situation at hand calls for it

Glock 36
BManoftheyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 15:19   #7
Annoyedgrunt
Dry Heat my ASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post

"I hurt somebody's feelings once."

GT Voting Booth
I knew that was coming...
Old 09-30-2008, 15:40   #8
blackbmw

had a friend who didnt show up at an outing that was planned, called her and couldnt get ahold of her, went to her house, knocked on her door and she came out and said "leave now or he will hurt me" that wasnt happening as i had her current boyfriend with me. so wanna-be G-unit comes running out acting like a hoodrat should(black guy) got mouthy, swung on me, i swung back and connected, he ran downstairs. i thought it was over, we sat up there and talked to her for a minute telling her to call the cops as he broke into her apartment and waited for her, she wouldnt. so i said screw this im leaving. started walking back to my car when this idiot comes running up the stairs with a 10 inch knife, i didnt even give him an opportunity. 1 shot and the fight was done. i spent 3 hours in jail while the scene was investigated, no charges, but lost the gun for 2 months.
blackbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 20:26   #9
cookekdjr

Stopped my own carjacking once. Didn't have to shoot, but i got my point across...
cookekdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 21:14   #10
bfg1971

I had a guy pull a gun on me once; fortunately he shoved it up nice and close to me so I was able to take it from him. He suffered minor injury and after unloading the gun I put it into a campfire that was nearby. Stupid thug didn't need it back and I didn't want to be caught with it if the police showed up. They never did show up as far as I know.

Capacity without capability is useless!
bfg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:52   #11
thirdruffian1

I had a drunk jerk open the door of my truck while I was at a stoplight. As soon as he yanked open the door, he said "Give me five dollars for parking here!" As I shoved the 1911 forward toward his face, the barrel hit him square in the forehead... HARD. Hard enough to sit him on his butt in the middle of a city street.

Last I saw of him he was still sitting on his butt looking bewildered while watching me drive away.

Sometimes I wonder if he is still doing freelance parking enforcement.
thirdruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 18:33   #12
SCmasterblaster

Closest I ever came to using my G17 defensively was when a pit bull dog leaped out a car's passenger window and came at my throat. As I was looking into his growling wide-open mouth, I managed to get my G17 out and ready, when I noticed that the dog's mouth was kept just far enough away from my throat by the fact that the dog's window was not open enough. That is what saved the dog's life!

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 02-20-2009 at 21:10..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 20:42   #13
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbmw View Post
had a friend who didnt show up at an outing that was planned, called her and couldnt get ahold of her, went to her house, knocked on her door and she came out and said "leave now or he will hurt me" that wasnt happening as i had her current boyfriend with me. so wanna-be G-unit comes running out acting like a hoodrat should(black guy) got mouthy, swung on me, i swung back and connected, he ran downstairs. i thought it was over, we sat up there and talked to her for a minute telling her to call the cops as he broke into her apartment and waited for her, she wouldnt. so i said screw this im leaving. started walking back to my car when this idiot comes running up the stairs with a 10 inch knife, i didnt even give him an opportunity. 1 shot and the fight was done. i spent 3 hours in jail while the scene was investigated, no charges, but lost the gun for 2 months.
wait..so the dude was killed?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 14:53   #14
Eagle22

Yes - Put that guy right on the ground, and broke his wrist in the process.

A few quick marshal arts moves are always a good thing. Along with some good negotiating skills.

NC Glockers #139
Eagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:52   #15
voyager4520
-----

Almost had to stab someone when I was 19. Was walking through an alley to the liquor store, a block away from my house, and this guy walking the other way told me "give me $20" and I said "suck my ****" and he moved closer, I pulled my knife out, and he said "woah I was just messin around, take it easy" and then he kept walking the way he was in the first place. Now I'm 22 and I have a G23 I don't have to rely on a knife for self defense and risk someone then pulling a gun on me and possibly shooting me.
Old 06-08-2009, 20:28   #16
Centinul1911

Yes, but not with a gun.
It was many years ago, me and a friend of mine were sleeping over at our girlfriends house, It was my girlfriends house and his girlfriend was staying over that night.
He got up in the middle of the night to get some smokes (did not wake any one to let us know he was going) and got jumped on the way back. He called the house from a pay phone at 7-11 (this was a few years before cell phones) to tell us what happened, I drove down to pick him up but could not find him any where. So I started walking, and was jumped by the same guy that jumped him. Though I faired much better than my friend.
I eventually found him and he was in very bad shape, I took him home (which is what he wanted) and his mother took him to the hospital.
Centinul1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:27   #17
neonhomer

Send a message via Yahoo to neonhomer
Didn't shoot anyone... didn't even carry back then... but me and a couple of friends were out riding our motorcycles. It was about 1am and we were on our way home when my friend's bike died. We pulled over in a closed for the night gas station. He was sitting down working on his bike, and I was over with the rest of the group, making fun of him having to work on his bike, when this guy walked up and asked my friend for a smoke. My friend said he didn't have anymore, and went back to working. By this time, me and another guy riding with us were already on our feet and moving toward this guy and my friend.

This guy pulled a knife from his pocket, but never made it any farther than a few inches before he was clocked in the head with a helmet. He fell to the ground. We called the cops, and they called rescue. Don't know what happened to the guy, but after we gave our statements, we were free to go and kept working on the bike.

Finally figured out the problem... the fuel filter plugged up. Took it off, bypassed it, and rode home.

Now I carry a G27 in my truck, and as soon as I get my CWP, I will have it on my person. I just need to find a quicker way to access in when in my truck besides having to reach under the back seat and open the box.
NeonHomer - Florida Glocker #522 - NRA Member - Glock Armorer - GSSF Member
Glock 22 .40, Glock 27 .40 in OD Green
Volusia County, FL
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:05   #18
deadday

Yes..
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 22:50   #19
old wanderer

I was walking to my car on the outskirts of a town in Colombia. Walking through the parking lot, I came across a man holding a woman by the throat, shoved up against a car, and trying to smash her face in.

I grabbed this jerk (He only came up to about my chin), and proceeded to abuse his face a bit, then BANG and a bullet goes right by my head, and the woman laying on the ground with a very bloody face says in Spanish.."leave my husband alone". I swung this guy around to act as a shield, and threw him on top of his wife just a she fired again...heard a groan,,,and just walked away.

Poetic justice I thought...(I was carrying a 38 super, but never pulled it).
old wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 22:57   #20
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

no and I hope I never do.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is online now   Reply With Quote