Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 18:40   #1
Bigeasy

Gssf?

Well it's been a while since I last posted and I was a VERY noob at that. I've added plenty to my collection and have grown better as a shooter and an aficionado. My first Glock was a 26 and initially I was not sure why I purchased it. After numerous rounds it has become one of my favorites. Now, I was a Sprinfield guy and love both of them but Glock has "climbed" the ranks, so to speak. Before the events this past December I purchased an XDm 45 compact for carry and I love it. With all the craze I wanted to purchase a proven Glock before, or if any, changes occur. So I got a Glock 23 Gen 4 with intentions of using a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm. The 26 I will give to the wifey, yeah right, and replace it with the 23.

So, reading about the GSSF and associated discount and matches I would like to ask other GSSF members inputs. Is it worth it for the discount? I was ready to sign up for IDPA, more frequent matches, but see $$ advantages with the GSSF.

Another question if I may. If I sign up for two years will I get an initial coupon for the discount gun purchase and year two get another one? So one now and one year two? I read that one year will not suffice until after renewing you get the coupon. I have several LGS that have blue label for sale, $425.00 that are a short drive away. I do plan on making a match at least twice looking at the 2013 schedule. Shooting paper targets are great at the range but I would like something a bit more challenging. Of course being a novice I wonder if those that go to the matches are "ringers" and would put me to shame.

I have used the search button but would like recent experience with GSSF.

Thanks for the input.

Bigeasy
Bigeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:05   #2
njl

GSSF membership probably is worth it just for the discounted gun deal...but there's much more to it. The matches are lots of fun. My only complaint about them is they only do each location once a year...so unlike IDPA, which you could probably shoot at least once a month (probably every weekend if you drive around a little), GSSF might only come to your area once or twice a year if at all.

You can look at the match info and scores at gssfonline.com. Looking at the scores, it should be obvious there are match regulars, some of whom are very fast/accurate, there are total noobs who may be shooting for the very first time at the match, and there are lots of in between. If you've been practicing at all, you can bet there will be worse shooters than you at the match.

GSSF is CMP affiliated...so if you ever thought about ordering an M1 Garand from thecmp.org, your GSSF membership can help there.

Being a life member of GSSF, I haven't kept up with the rule changes as to who gets pistol discount cards when, but I suspect you can find that info at gssfonline.com.
Old 01-13-2013, 21:04   #3
ron59
Bustin Caps

I wouldn't join just looking for the discount.
Way too many people complain that they can't find a cooperating dealer close to them, there aren't very many. Here in Charlotte, the only place that does gets them not straight from Glock but instead Ed's out of GA. So they tack on a $25 shipping fee from Ed's. THEN, this same gun shop has a $15 "Brady Bill" fee they tack onto ALL gun sales, claiming it's to cover all the paperwork they have to do for it.

So I have to pay $40 over the GSSF price. Add on the two year GSSF fee and you haven't really saved anything. For me at least. While some lucky few DO have a nearby dealer who does the wrong thing, many don't have have access to a deal like mine.

Join to shoot the matches, and HOPE you can get the discount. Don't assume that's a done deal for sure.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 21:11   #4
Keyhole

Access to the Armorer's Course is a good perk too.
Old 01-13-2013, 23:40   #5
G36_Me

You might also have some GSSF Indoor matches in your area. They are fun and low key. I like companies that support the shooting sport and Glock does a great job at this. I feel supporting GSSF is like supporting the entire industry.
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20   #6
OrGlocker

Not only that but also when you go to a match Glock will update and/or replace any part free of charge.
OrGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23   #7
Bigeasy

Thankful for all the info. Think I will sign up this week for the two year. Now I will get that first coupon but will I get another for the second year since paid in full?

Thanks again.
Bigeasy is offline   Reply With Quote