SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2013, 17:26   #1
SpitFyRRe
Bang Bang

Question about IWB carrying

I recently acquired a P238 as my concealed carry. Looking to start IWB carrying but I have a few questions.

I had no idea there were so many choices with IWB carrying; strong side, cross draw, etc. Then I start looking at holsters online, just for a reference, and I am seeing right handed, left handed, right side, left side. I'm getting really confused. I am right-handed. Which holsters should I be looking for?

Also, what are your views and opinions on IWB carrying? I can't OWB without looking like I have a hip deformity and I won't purse-carry. What works best for you; strong-side or cross-draw?

I do realize that no matter which way I decide to carry, I'm going to be practicing drawing A LOT before it becomes muscle memory and comfortable. I've also got a new safety to get used to as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 17:51   #2
kda
NRA Life Member

After filling a drawer with holsters of all types of construction and ranging across most price points, I grew tired of trying to pretend this one or that was was really comfortable for all day wear. So I decided to focus on something that was genuinely and immediately comfortable (no break in for me or the holster) and that concealed really well. Then I adjusted to training myself to draw from it effectively.

For me, that was something most others would laugh at I suppose since it isn't leather and doesn't cost a bundle, etc. etc. It is not even a big brand name. I found that the canvas KNJ holster (under $20) was simply perfect for IWB cross draw. I'm right handed so I wear the KNJ (has a powerful non-slip metal clip) aligned with the front edge of my left front trouser pocket. Truly as if you had no carry weapon on your person at all. Sit, drive, stand, roll in the dirt. It just works. It isn't just comfortable, it is as if it wasn't even there. Wish I had started simple at the beginning, could have saved many hundreds of dollars on the expensive / currently popular stuff.

Put your money in a good double layer leather belt. Beltman is good. There are others too I suppose, When you get your ideal setup, you'll never wonder again if you "want to carry".

Good luck in your quest.

I saw a movie in which only the Government and the Police had Guns. The name of the movie was Schindler's List.
kda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 17:56   #3
jellis11
Yippee-ki-yay

I prefer strong side IWB around 4 o'clock *just behind the midline of my body*.

This is a Kydex holster.
Attached Thumbnails
Carry Issues - Click for larger version  

Last edited by jellis11; 01-17-2013 at 18:02..
jellis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 18:22   #4
C5A

I carry my Glock 22, 40 cal, in a Kholster at 4:00. So comfortable I tend to forget it is even there.
C5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 19:38   #5
Ermytraining

MTAC, appendix carry, G30sf. Comfy for me all day.
Ermytraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 19:55   #6
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

MTAC, strong side at 4 o'clock. Make sure you're buying your pants a little bigger in the waist.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:08   #7
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

One point I want to clarify as I begin this. The OP is a woman. Most women seem to find crossdraw works better for them than strong side, mostly because the barrel can then be positioned around the hip. My wife has decided that she is going to carry off body in maxpedition type bag that we use as a diaper bag.

Here is a good primer on women's holsters from a holster maker I absolutely trust and incidentally is from Maplewood.
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/hol..._for_Women.htm

If you're interested there is an open carry breakfast at the Gopher Bar in St. Paul tomorrow morning from 0800 until probably about 1300 at which you can get opinions from lots of people, both male and female, that carry in this climate.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42   #8
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I don't like IWB carry; instead I much prefer ITB carry. For the right-hand 4:00 o'clock is fine; but, of late, I've found 2:00 o'clock carry to be a lot faster and easier to draw from. I shot my last course-of-fire, a Zombie shoot, from 2:00 o'clock. I was very comfortable using this position. (You always have to be extra careful while reholstering.)

Kramer Gunleather makes a nice #3 Holster that you might want to take a look at. http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=23

Last edited by Arc Angel; 01-18-2013 at 08:43..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26   #9
WT

My wife suggested appendix IWB. That is in front, about the 1 or 2 o'clock position. There are several kydex holster makers.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55   #10
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Here's a video that might interest you:

Very versatile and very affordable. Remora for IWB and storage and other things! Take a look.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02   #11
cajun_chooter

i use a Galco King Tuk IWB holster G19. AND a Galco ankle holster G26 --- 24/7
cajun_chooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52   #12
SpitFyRRe
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
One point I want to clarify as I begin this. The OP is a woman. Most women seem to find crossdraw works better for them than strong side, mostly because the barrel can then be positioned around the hip. My wife has decided that she is going to carry off body in maxpedition type bag that we use as a diaper bag.

Here is a good primer on women's holsters from a holster maker I absolutely trust and incidentally is from Maplewood.
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/hol..._for_Women.htm

If you're interested there is an open carry breakfast at the Gopher Bar in St. Paul tomorrow morning from 0800 until probably about 1300 at which you can get opinions from lots of people, both male and female, that carry in this climate.
I'm going to check out the website and I wish I would have known about the Gopher Bar thing sooner or I would be there for sure to check it out. Any word on when the next one is?

I guess I would really like to try and IWB holster out before purchasing to see how it's going to feel but I'm not sure how stores would feel about me sticking holsters down my pants...

Thanks for all the advice, too, you guys, I am checking out each holster you guys recommend to see if I like the style and what the costs are with them.

Last edited by SpitFyRRe; 01-18-2013 at 11:54..
SpitFyRRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 17:23   #13
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

It usually happens three or four times a year with notices posted on www.mnguntalk.com I usually try to cross post it here but totally forgot until I responded to you. I have a CTAC for a standard frame Glock, and single point IWB's for J frames and a Ruger LCP if you'd like to try any of those out. If you posted at mnguntalk you could probably find someone willing to loan you an IWB for your carry weapon of choice.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 17:38   #14
LandRover

I use a Crossbreed IWB for my G26. Single most comfortable holster I've tried, and that includes the various OWB offerings.

OK, your hips are probably shaped a bit differently than mine, but methinks it might still work for you; my wife humoured me by trying mine on in her jeans and she wasn't completely uncomfortable. She states that if she was going to IWB carry, the Crossbreed (or any of the similar products out there) would probably work quite nicely.

I did have to go one inch larger with my jeans, but that's it. I will recommend a good belt though; as you're a woman, this may be problematic. I can't seem to find too many vendors that market to women...

A traveler doesn't know where he's going ...
a tourist doesn't know where he's been.
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 17:51   #15
uaengineer

I think women's issues carrying are different than men's due to different clothing options, body shapes, etc. Personally, I like the hybrid type holster like the Crossbreed though I use a Theis (great quality holster without the long wait). A good reference for a woman looking to carry might be FateofDestinee's channel on YouTube. I believe she is from MN or WI and has several videos discussing concealed carry from a woman's point of view. A fellow woman who carries I think would be a good resource to help guide a woman that is new to concealed carry.
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 22:29   #16
Tired Retired

Have you considered the "flashbang" line of holsters?

Women have one advantage over us guys - there are holsters that compliment bras.

You may want to look at some of those type set ups.

http://flashbangholster.com/

That company also carries a line of women's gun belts.

Last edited by Tired Retired; 01-18-2013 at 22:30..
Tired Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 22:30   #17
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFyRRe View Post
I recently acquired a P238 as my concealed carry. Looking to start IWB carrying but I have a few questions.

I had no idea there were so many choices with IWB carrying; strong side, cross draw, etc. Then I start looking at holsters online, just for a reference, and I am seeing right handed, left handed, right side, left side. I'm getting really confused. I am right-handed. Which holsters should I be looking for?

Also, what are your views and opinions on IWB carrying? I can't OWB without looking like I have a hip deformity and I won't purse-carry. What works best for you; strong-side or cross-draw?

I do realize that no matter which way I decide to carry, I'm going to be practicing drawing A LOT before it becomes muscle memory and comfortable. I've also got a new safety to get used to as well.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:04   #18
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Decent video but I would be curious to see her from the back. She was printing from the front. Looked like a pistol on her right side. Maybe a bigger T-shirt?

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 16:24   #19
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I use a Blade Tech IDPA IWB holster. It works better than any other IWB holster I've ever tried and the price isn't bad.

Even with being a women, I find this holster works very well, even with my full size HK 45.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Inside-the...ED-pr-820.html

Last edited by NEOH212; 01-19-2013 at 16:25..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 18:40   #20
DaneA

My wife carries her 26 in a crossbreed, strong side about 4 o'clock. She does print some but doesn't care. It seems to work for her.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote