Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40   #76
kensb2
pistol n00b

That was a great story, well worth the read!! It also happens to be the history of the greatest country ever born. Would it be ok to copy/paste all those parts into 1, and post it on my FB? I'd like to at least be able to send it to my 7th grade son, so he can read it. He's at a very impressionable age, and I need to do everything I can to keep the public school system from ruining his mind!! Thanks again Mac!!
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15   #77
Flags

Thank-You. Seriously.
Have been meaning to attend an event for awhile and keep putting it off due to life etc. Am signing up for one now.
Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20   #78
rdbjr57

Wow... great telling of a great event in our history! Thanks for posting.
Old 01-23-2013, 16:02   #79
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
That was a great story, well worth the read!! It also happens to be the history of the greatest country ever born. Would it be ok to copy/paste all those parts into 1, and post it on my FB? I'd like to at least be able to send it to my 7th grade son, so he can read it. He's at a very impressionable age, and I need to do everything I can to keep the public school system from ruining his mind!! Thanks again Mac!!
You may copy and paste it but give credit to Appleseed and please include the link. www.appleseedinfo.org

For the rest of you please go to an Appleseed and see for yourself what a great program it is.

Also, as I mentioned we have been trying to push this programs into schools, groups, clubs or anyone who will wants to hear it. I've done if for public and private schools (Fifth grade is when they typically hear about the American Revolution), home school groups, senior citizen groups, patriot groups, Tea Party groups, Boy and Cub Scouts, Young Marines, Gun clubs, Daughters of the American Revolution, VFWs, Zombie Squad clubs even women's clubs.

We need to get this story back out to Americans. If you have a group or organization, school etc and want this story told contact me (PM me) and I will find a contact in your state to do one. The presentations are free and often include historic flags, muskets, and other history stuff. Mention to them that we are non-profit, non-political and all volunteers.

Last edited by mac66; 01-23-2013 at 16:04..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 22:34   #80
Glock Man_G19

Thanks for sharing the story. I will pass this onto others and will give credit to Appleseed.

Now I have to go to an Appleseed Event to hear the rest.
Glock Man_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:50   #81
mac66
Plant the seed

I forgot one character that I mentioned in the story that I wanted to add to the epilog.

Dr. Benjamin Church: Church was a prominent physician in Boston and in charge of the security committee for the Massachusetts provincial congress. He was in charge of the colonial secrets and security of John Hancock and Sam Adams. He was also a spy for Gen. Thomas Gage. It was Church who compiled a list of the guns and powder/supplies stored in Concord and the whereabouts of Hancock and Adams.

It wasn't ideology that made him give secrets to the British general it was greed. Church had a wife and also kept a mistress. He spent his money poorly and was always in debt.

On April 20th, the day after the events at Lexington and Concord Church was seen easily passing through the gate into Boston. Boston was now besieged by 14,000 militia and the British army was holding the city. Church was contacted by Paul Reveres' wife who gave him a note and 200 pounds (a huge sum of money) to give to Paul who needed money to live on outside the city. Paul never got the money and the note was found in Gen. Gage's papers after the war.

People became suspicious of how Church could pass in and out of the city so easily. After the British evacuated Boston, Church was arrested and imprisoned. He was later banished from the colonies. The ship he got on to go to England never reached it's destination and was never seen again.
Old 01-30-2013, 15:52   #82
Glock Man_G19

Mods, can we please make this a sticky. We need to make sure our history isn't forgotten.
Glock Man_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:54   #83
mac66
Plant the seed

I wanted to mention that if you belong to a gun club, range, sportsman's club etc, we can bring the Appleseed program to your club at no cost.

We supply the targets, target line, instructors, all the materials and of course good history for the two day rifle marksmanship clinic. The club typically charges a range fee over the cost of the Appleseed fee. This is very, very good rifle shooting instruction. If you've never had a formal class in rifle, you need to do this. Many clubs find that it draws people to the club who might never have come before and they find that increases membership at the club as well.

If you PM me I will hook you up with the State Coordinator of your state. He/she will come or send someone to your club to make a presentation to your board.

The Revolutionary War Veterans Association is a non profit, non-political, all volunteer organization who puts on the Appleseed Project to sow the seeds of our heritage back into America. www.rwva.org
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22   #84
Leigh

I've attended three Appleseed shoots over the years and there is nothing like them.

I've never seen Skinheads or Bunker Nuts in attendance, just like-minded men, women, and well-mannered children; all with the desire to learn and improve marksmanship skills and to promote and maintain the cherished values of our Forefathers.

Last edited by Leigh; 02-07-2013 at 08:25..
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06   #85
mac66
Plant the seed

John Adams rode out the day after April 19th on battle road to what had happened. He later wrote a letter to his wife in which he said....

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the current generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it." -John Adams

Last edited by mac66; 02-14-2013 at 07:59..
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11   #86
mac66
Plant the seed

A little more about Isaac Davis, the Captain of the Acton Militia

You may recall that in the story Davis left his wife and children that morning in charge of his company of Action militia men. He turned to her and said, "Take good care of the children".

Not very many people I tell the story to remember Isaac Davis by name, but most people have seen his likeness. The statue that stands in Concord is of Isaac Davis and was erected in 1875, the 100 year anniversary of the battle at the concord bridge. The statue features him with one hand on his musket and one hand on the plow. The sculptor studied his descendents for the image and used his actual plow as the model.

The Reverend William Emerson who comforted the men before and after the battle and treated the wounded on his front lawn had a famous grandson, the poet Ralph Waldo Emerson. In 1837 Emerson would write the famous Concord Hymn,

“By the rude bridge that arched the flood, Their flag to Aprils’ breeze unfurled, Here once the embattled farmers stood, And fired the shot heard round the world”

The image of the minute man statue, the iconic "citizen soldier" was adopted as the symbol of the Army National Guard which is where most people recognize it. From now on when you see it remember Issac Davis

The Okie Corral

Last edited by mac66; 02-20-2013 at 16:14..