SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:34   #21
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Congrats man!

If you ever need any help studying for medic school, hit me up here and we can swap emails or numbers. We're all paramedics here and I happen to be an EMS instructor. Also, when I left my part-time PD gig, it was to take a part-time flight medic gig

Be prepared for razzing.. lots of razzing.. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.

Last edited by FiremanMike; 01-20-2013 at 07:36..
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52   #22
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
Also, when I left my part-time PD gig, it was to take a part-time flight medic gig

Be prepared for razzing.. lots of razzing.. lol
Only thing worse than a Hosemonkey is a Helicopter Hero......

Old 01-20-2013, 08:44   #23
jellis11
Yippee-ki-yay

if you ever gotta go to the bathroom do it, don't hold it. lol nothing worse than needing to go on a call!
jellis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:56   #24
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigent View Post
Only thing worse than a Hosemonkey is a Helicopter Hero......

My buddy, who likes to be "anti" everything, tells me "you know helicopters statistically don't make a difference in survival." To which I replied "I don't give a ****, I'm on a helicopter!" And we both laughed
Quote:
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58   #25
itstime

Congrats on the new job. Good luck.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10   #26
FiremanMike
Way too busy

By the way, show up your first day with a bunch of ice cream.. It's tradition..
Quote:
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24   #27
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Good luck.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11   #28
blueiron
Clown move, bro

It isn't fire and collapsing buildings that are the threat. Cancer is.

The cancer rates for firefighters are exponentially higher than that of the general populace. Exposures to chemical spills, to burning materials that deflagrate into horrid chemical compounds, etc. incapacitate or kill them. Not to mention biohazard exposures to weird and unusual diseases and pathogens.

Make sure you get a comprehensive physical before you start by your own physician and use that as a baseline. Document and track every exposure, because once you are out on the other side of retirement, not one person is going to care about your cancers or help pay for the post-career insurance.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29   #29
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
It isn't fire and collapsing buildings that are the threat. Cancer is.

The cancer rates for firefighters are exponentially higher than that of the general populace. Exposures to chemical spills, to burning materials that deflagrate into horrid chemical compounds, etc. incapacitate or kill them. Not to mention biohazard exposures to weird and unusual diseases and pathogens.

Make sure you get a comprehensive physical before you start by your own physician and use that as a baseline. Document and track every exposure, because once you are out on the other side of retirement, not one person is going to care about your cancers or help pay for the post-career insurance.
On that note, wear your air pack for everything. Car fires, overhaul, everything. You'll see a lot of guys who think it's macho to overhaul without an airpack or do this run or that run without, it's not.
Quote:
Old 01-20-2013, 14:22   #30
LSO1117

Congrats! I've been saying for years now that I should have been a fireman!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
LSO1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 14:52   #31
DoogieHowser
Eh

Thanks, I'm in medic school now doing second semester of the I portion and rookie school starts half way through the semester which us going to be fun. Thanks for all the advice I'll heed it for sure. Never had any problems with doing it the right way
Old 01-20-2013, 14:59   #32
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
All kidding aside, be careful. Firemen die at 3x the rate of policemen. Collapsing buildings and fires don't care and there is no negotiating with that kind of stuff.
When?

FEMA's stats say 64 firefighters died on duty last year, the lowest of the last 35 years. Save for 2001, the average over that time is 110 per year. Including 2001, the average is closer to 120 per year. Law enforcement duty related deaths exceed that average every single year back to WWII.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 18:57   #33
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
When?

FEMA's stats say 64 firefighters died on duty last year, the lowest of the last 35 years. Save for 2001, the average over that time is 110 per year. Including 2001, the average is closer to 120 per year. Law enforcement duty related deaths exceed that average every single year back to WWII.
Wow, I take it all back then. Shows me to trust what the local fire guys are telling me in trying to make me feel bad.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 22:17   #34
blueiron
Clown move, bro

FF LODD from 1977-2011. What the precise parameters are, I do not know. Statistical data can be skewed many ways without stating protocols.

http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?c...&cookie_test=1

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 23:26   #35
scottydl

Gordon Graham (LE risk management expert) has a fire safety site called www.FirefighterCloseCalls.com ... fire LODD stats are shown on the homepage for the last 5 years:

LODD STATS

Year Totals
2013 0
2012 83
2011 81
2010 87
2009 93

There are probably more if you go further into the site. As Graham repeats in his seminars, many FD deaths are predictable/preventable like many PD deaths. Annual wildfire & brushfire breakouts usually claim lives each year of volunteer or otherwise undertrained/inexperienced firefighters who run into the hot zones unnecessarily and end up being overtaken. Just don't let yourself become one of those guys.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 00:08   #36
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

between sleeping all night and napping during the day most fire departments havent lost a foundation yet.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 00:29   #37
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Congratulations and best of luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 00:59   #38
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Wow, I take it all back then. Shows me to trust what the local fire guys are telling me in trying to make me feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
FF LODD from 1977-2011. What the precise parameters are, I do not know. Statistical data can be skewed many ways without stating protocols.

http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?c...&cookie_test=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Gordon Graham (LE risk management expert) has a fire safety site called www.FirefighterCloseCalls.com ... fire LODD stats are shown on the homepage for the last 5 years:

LODD STATS

Year Totals
2013 0
2012 83
2011 81
2010 87
2009 93

There are probably more if you go further into the site. As Graham repeats in his seminars, many FD deaths are predictable/preventable like many PD deaths. Annual wildfire & brushfire breakouts usually claim lives each year of volunteer or otherwise undertrained/inexperienced firefighters who run into the hot zones unnecessarily and end up being overtaken. Just don't let yourself become one of those guys.
Sorry to derail the thread further.

I used the following site:

http://apps.usfa.fema.gov/firefighte...ata/statistics

I like looking at stats and although they can be twisted and skewed, I think that there is some credibility to FEMA's stats as there are with ODMP and LEOKA.

A couple of interesting things on my link, all taken from the part title "A Snapshot of Firefighter Fatalities (2007-2011):

-46.5% died of heart attacks, 27.7% of trauma. Only 8.3% were asphyxiated.
-Over 52% were volunteers while on 37.5% were "career" firefighters.
-Nearly 30% died on-scene, 17.2% after the incident, and about 11% training.
-Structure fires were the most common type of incident at 31.8%.

It really is interesting stuff.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19   #39
ranger1968

Also, and not to bash the firefighters, but if one of them gets sick or has a heart attack on duty and is taken to the hospital and then dies, they still count it as a "line of duty death"....

That wouldn't count for us in the UCR count that we do, where only things like accidents (like falling down a flight of stairs while on a call, and which they count as "other") traffic crashes , homicides, and the like are counted ( I don't know for sure, but I don't believe that on duty suicides are counted either).....if they counted every cop who fell out and later died , the number would be a whole lot higher....

Doogie, you're going to a safer job by far, and one where everybody will love you; you have paid your dues, and now you can go onto something where you can still say you are brave, but where you almost never have to prove it.

Good luck.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00   #40
ditchdoc24

Good luck man. I spent 20 years playing ditch doctor, hosemonkey and even helicopter hero (HT to Indigent for teaching me a new term). Now I'm in LE and having a great time. I've been treated better in law enforcement than I ever was treated doing anything else.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote