SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2013, 15:53   #1
RigPig

Gen3 G17L build

Hi all,
I have been lusting after long slide Glocks ever since I started shooting Glocks a year ago. I had the opportunity to buy a G24 recently, but the seller sold it out from under me. So, I was browsing GunBroker in search of a LS to no avail, well, if I wanted to spend $850 on a NOS there were a couple to be had. I noticed that there were a bunch of stripped frames for sale, and as an experienced AR builder, the idea popped into my head of building a G17L from the ground up. This thread will be about the progress in my build.
I started out by clicking on the BIN button for a LNIB G22 Gen3 frame. From reading the item listing, it was pretty well described as though the seller opened the box, removed the slide, closed the box and sold it on GB. I also bought the (2) 15rd .40 mags for $18ea (a steal). I then ordered a LWD 17L slide and 6.02" barrel. Both are stainless, and I will be sending the slide off for custom lightening cuts and cerakoting. I don't like the brushed stainless slide look, or the fugly LWD logo, so that will kill 2 birds with one stone. For the fire control group, I chose the Zev Fulcrum ultimate trigger, and ordered the rest of the slide guts from MidwayUSA. Sights will be DP, Ice magwell, and TTI base pads.
As of right now, the frame is inbound to my FFL, the slide/barrel are inbound to me, and I just received the trigger kit and slide parts from MidwayUSA. I will be posting pics along the way, and any tips/tricks, or suggested changes to my build sheet are welcome, as I'm a noob to customizing Glocks.

ETA: I realize the 40 mags won't work for this project, I bought them to use in my G35 gen3.

Last edited by RigPig; 09-23-2013 at 15:55..
RigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 20:49   #2
DJ Niner

This is probably a smarter and cheaper way to go about getting a custom G17L than buying a factory model and removing/replacing the same parts you ordered.

We'll be wanting photos once you get it up and running!
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>> http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot...ed-before.html
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 14:01   #3
RigPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
This is probably a smarter and cheaper way to go about getting a custom G17L than buying a factory model and removing/replacing the same parts you ordered.

We'll be wanting photos once you get it up and running!
For sure, to build the pistol somewhat to the same specs as a stock Glock, I'd have about $525 in it. Ultimately, I'll have around $1300 in it by the time I'm done.
Old 09-25-2013, 21:08   #4
katonk

Building one from scratch is a possibility provided you have the patience and find the right deals
I just built this G17L clone:
Timberwolf frame---250.00 complete, barely used from a local forum
17L Slide---340.00 new, complete with internals off Gunbroker
KKM barrel---50.00--new, received on a partial trade deal
Dawson sights---40.00---ebay
Long Slide Forum
I just received a Fulcrum trigger kit from Brownells that will be getting installed shortly
I'm sure you'll be happy and content with your build!

Last edited by katonk; 09-25-2013 at 21:19..
katonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:16   #5
darkenfast

Nice pistols! My 17L is stock, one of the first thousand, but then I went and got a non-ported barrel to replace the original one, which knocked the price up. I really like the sight radius and the way the gun just hangs in the hand. Usually, when I quickly raise the pistol up to eye-level with my right hand, the sights are aligned. My left hand is not quite there yet!
darkenfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:20   #6
RigPig

I knew from the beginning that this was going to be an over-the-top build. The pricing on what I have in it so far is:
Complete factory G22 Gen3 frame: $230 (this includes shipping/transfer)
LWD 17L stripped slide: $259
LWD 6.02" stainless 17L match barrel: $104
Zev Fulcrum ultimate trigger kit: $225
Glock slide parts: $35
DP F/O front and adj rear sight: $110
DP basepads (3): $125
Ice magwell: $80
Zev Tungsten guide rod: $47
I blew my budget, as usual, but I will be happy with it when I'm done.

Last edited by RigPig; 10-05-2013 at 10:56..
Old 09-26-2013, 15:46   #7
Trapped_in_Kali

I built a G20LS, you know you can get the slide & barrel "Blind Marked" so you don't have to looks @ that logo.
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 16:03   #8
RigPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_in_Kali View Post
I built a G20LS, you know you can get the slide & barrel "Blind Marked" so you don't have to looks @ that logo.
I didn't know about the "Blind Marked" slide or barrel, I do now.
Old 09-27-2013, 15:59   #9
katonk

The stainless Longlside that I posted in the pic isn't ecthed....no markings at all.....if it was, I would have had it machined off.....

Last edited by katonk; 09-27-2013 at 15:59..
katonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 19:51   #10
RigPig

Good news, my slide and barrel came in the mail today, and the slide is not marked. The barrel does, but hopefully most of that will polish off. Now to wait on the frame, and will be sending the slide off for machining and coating.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:56   #11
RigPig

Here's what I have so far:

Long Slide Forum
I ordered DP adjustable rear and FO front sights, Ice magwell and their tool less basepads, should come in Tuesday. My build sheet has changed a little, just evolved as I ordered parts. I put factory Glock fixed sights on the slide so I could shoot this in a 3gun match tomorrow. Shot 200rds through it this morning, no malfunctions. Shot 115gr Blazer Al, 115gr WWB, 124gr AE and 147gr AE, all FMJ. I'm happy with how it's coming together.