Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2013, 15:42   #21
HiVel
HiVel

I hate New York! remember the I love NY deal?? Thes folks are nuts-do not go there!
Old 01-21-2013, 15:47   #22
number1gun

I love 10mm. Real 10mm= hand cannon. However for SD I would use down loaded 10mm due to recoil issues. You can still get 450-500ft/lbs of energy from a down loaded 10mm which is just about where most people draw the line on recoil comfort. That would be about the same as a 155gr .40S&W or a 185gr .45. IMO you should pick which ever you find most comfortable and you are going to find .45 much easier than 10mm. Good luck.
number1gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 16:18   #23
sgtbones

This truly sucks I have some underwood 180 gr de loads. And of course I have 3 Wilson Combats. 2 of them only like Golden saber jhp's.
sgtbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:31   #24
DrtyHarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbones View Post
Harry I'am an LEO, I called the NYS police firearms division the trooper on the other end answered my question about the 7rd mag count and laughed that she was breaking the law. Those bozos did not bother to exempt LEO's. FOP is working to HR 218 amended so the mag ban would not effect LEO's.
I really can't believe it....told my bro to go pick himself up a 1911 to carry off duty, but he's not sure if he can even do that. I THINK he said he has to pick between Glock and Sig....he used to wear a Kahr off duty, but he is no longer allowed to (for a while now....not sure what the reason was).

Before you know it, CHomo is going to arm all LEOs with slingshots in NY.

http://www.rationalityrebooted.com/2...ts-police.html

DH
Old 01-21-2013, 17:53   #25
sgtbones

Well legally he is covered under HR 218 but he might get flack from his dept. I'am federal, no flack from dept but you are on your own. If this does not change back to 2 1911's.
Old 01-21-2013, 18:00   #26
dm1906
Retired SO

Yeah, NYS sucks. CA sucks (I apologize for Feinstein, although I never voted for her), but not as bad as NYS, for now. 7 rounds is ridiculous, and was strategically selected. It will make over 90% of all semi-auto pistols illegal, until the manufacturers produce 7 round mags. The round count in your mag won't matter, as the "law" requires a magazine capable of holding no more than 7. Same thing in CA with the 10 round limit. Fortunately in CA, higher capacity mags were grandfathered, and I have no shortage of them.

If a person is subject to the law, and wants to be "legal", even with your original mags, design a magazine plug, like used in shotguns. Or wait, and someone will be selling them soon. Or wait, until the SCOTUS tells that governor what he can do with his law.

In regards to off-duty and retired LEO's, the LEOSA/HR218 trumps NYS law. The law specifically addresses interstate reciprocity, but also applies to the officer within his/her own state. The only restriction on the weapon and ammo is it must be "of similar type as that approved for on/off duty, by the issuing agency" (it's really no more specific than that). So if NYS on-duty cops can have more than 7 rd. mags, so can off duty and honorably retired NYS LEOs. If, by some chance, they don't exempt the on-duty cops, and they become restricted, the only people allowed in the state with 8+ mags will be the military, federal officers, and any retired or on/off-duty officer from any other state. The whole thing is stupid. Just stupid.
Old 01-21-2013, 18:25   #27
DrtyHarry

Thanks dm1906, I just forwarded your post to my brother. I'm surprised his department doesn't clear up the smoke with this issue...

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

DH
Old 01-21-2013, 19:08   #28
sgtbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1906 View Post
Yeah, NYS sucks. CA sucks (I apologize for Feinstein, although I never voted for her), but not as bad as NYS, for now. 7 rounds is ridiculous, and was strategically selected. It will make over 90% of all semi-auto pistols illegal, until the manufacturers produce 7 round mags. The round count in your mag won't matter, as the "law" requires a magazine capable of holding no more than 7. Same thing in CA with the 10 round limit. Fortunately in CA, higher capacity mags were grandfathered, and I have no shortage of them.

If a person is subject to the law, and wants to be "legal", even with your original mags, design a magazine plug, like used in shotguns. Or wait, and someone will be selling them soon. Or wait, until the SCOTUS tells that governor what he can do with his law.

In regards to off-duty and retired LEO's, the LEOSA/HR218 trumps NYS law. The law specifically addresses interstate reciprocity, but also applies to the officer within his/her own state. The only restriction on the weapon and ammo is it must be "of similar type as that approved for on/off duty, by the issuing agency" (it's really no more specific than that). So if NYS on-duty cops can have more than 7 rd. mags, so can off duty and honorably retired NYS LEOs. If, by some chance, they don't exempt the on-duty cops, and they become restricted, the only people allowed in the state with 8+ mags will be the military, federal officers, and any retired or on/off-duty officer from any other state. The whole thing is stupid. Just stupid.
I disagree if you are federal, and you are not carrying a duty weapon than you are not covered, all fed officer fall under 2.15 not 2.10 or 1.20 in the nys penal code. 2.10 and 1.20 only exempts ny police and peace officers . 2.15 lumps all fed law officers powers with the exception on sub section h which is the powers to possess and take custody of firearms not owned by the peace officer.
Old 01-21-2013, 19:35   #29
DrtyHarry

Amazing how the laws in NYC ans NYS differ so much. I lived in NYC for 11 years, I'm so happy my ass no longer lives there. I feel bad for my brother who works as a PO in the Bronx....so much red tape it's ridiculous. He almost got car jacked last year, fought with 2 people, got over 30 bite marks, nerve damage to his hand.....and his department wanted to slap him on the wrist for wearing a belly holster that is not "department approved".

I now avoid NYC like the plague....even Rudy wants to bring the assault weapon ban back!!

DH
Old 01-21-2013, 20:13   #30
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbones View Post
I disagree if you are federal, and you are not carrying a duty weapon than you are not covered, all fed officer fall under 2.15 not 2.10 or 1.20 in the nys penal code. 2.10 and 1.20 only exempts ny police and peace officers . 2.15 lumps all fed law officers powers with the exception on sub section h which is the powers to possess and take custody of firearms not owned by the peace officer.
The LEOSA was amended in 2010 to include specifically, active and honorably retired "law enforcement or police officers of the executive branch of the Federal Government". There are also some other amendments that went into effect January 1 of this year. Fortunately, it appears they are regularly expanding the scope of the act, rather than the more typical reeling in. None of this is associated with federal enforcement cooperative agreements with state and local authorities. It is intended to prevent lawful officers and lawful retired officers from having to disarm within local jurisdictions. A federal officer entering a local jurisdiction while conducting official enforcement business would still follow their cooperative agreements, however, they wouldn't be required to disarm under any [lawful] circumstance.
Old 01-22-2013, 00:07   #31
TDC20

I'd take the 7rds of most effective ammo. If you're more effective with a .45, then take that. I'll take the 10mm, thank you very much.

In our state, we are limited to 10rd magazines for deer hunting, to make it more sporting for the deer. We are limited to 3 rd. plugs/magazines for shotgun hunting migratory birds, to make it more sporting for the birds. We are only allowed to have 3 fishing poles in the water at once, to make it more sporting for the fish. And in some designated trout waters, only single point hooks are allowed (no treble hooks or multiple hooks) to make it more sporting for the trout. In NYS, they only allow you to have 7 rds in your defensive weapon, to make it more sporting for the killers and the rapists. Sad, very sad.

On the up side (I'm an eternal optimist), this new law is going to go a long way towards improving marksmanship. You can no longer waste the first 10 rounds of your mag in a panicked spray and pray. Every shot has to count now, because 7 may or may not be enough to get the job done. Aim carefully! And get the heck out of NYS as soon as you can.
Old 01-22-2013, 00:36   #32
Ak.Hiker

I live in Alaska and we do not have such issues to deal with. However if I did live in NY[my grandma did] I would be tempted to go old school and go with a 357 Magnum revolver loaded with a 125 grain SJHP. My SP 101 357 is one of my favorite handguns. A good SJHP for SD and a good hardcast for hiking. On thing is for sure no matter what state we live in we should be looking out for each other as far as the gun control issues go.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59   #33
fastbolt

10mm or .45 ACP?

Easy for me. I'd carry one of my .45's.

Since .45 ACP is still in common use by LE/Gov users, there's much more selection of modern defensive hollowpoint loads offered for it by the major American ammunition companies. I dislike having my primary defensive handgun requiring the support of custom ammo companies, as it may mean availability limitations and increased cost.

However, being restricted to 7 rounds doesn't mean having to choose between either semiauto pistol caliber listed. My revolvers are still eminently practical for common defensive carry roles.

Of course, 3 of my .45's are actually designed to use original 6-rd capacity magazines in the first place ...
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06   #34
ctious

It's not even a question for me. 10 mm. Loaded hot. More or less my hunting loads. Shallow hp cast lead.
3 deer all dropped in their tracks. If it will drop a deer like that I am sure a person will go down the same. Not to add the deer were 40 to 70 yards away. Point blank at a person will blow a hole the size of my fist.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote