Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 15:28   #1
Rich22

Expanding die for 300 Blackout

Have been looking today for a M die for the 300 blackout and cannot find one listed anywhere, talked to Midway and they were no help. I see many 30 Caliber cartridges listed for it but not the 300. Since going to be loading oversized cast what is the best way to accomplish this? I thought I would just grab one of the Lyman's and be done with it but that is proving not the case.

Thank you
Rich22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 21:15   #2
WiskyT
Malcontent

I wanted to load some plinkers in 30-06 and had some bullets I casted for 32ACP. I used my Lee 32ACP expander to expand the 06 brass. I inserted a case, 9mm I think, inside the die (above the expander insert and below the funnel/cap) to act as a spacer to keep the expander low in the die. It worked fine.

The point is, that other 30 cal expanders could be made to work. Call the die companies and see what they recommend. I'm guessing a 7.62x39 die or similar could be made to work.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 23:19   #3
fredj338

I would think any 308 caliber die could be made to work. Obviously a 06 would be too ling, but a 308 or 7.62x39 should work. You ideally want some nominal case support as the ecxpander does it's thing, but it could be done. You only need a ver slight bell at the case mouth.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-29-2013 at 23:19..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 14:02   #4
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
Have been looking today for a M die for the 300 blackout and cannot find one listed anywhere, talked to Midway and they were no help. I see many 30 Caliber cartridges listed for it but not the 300. Since going to be loading oversized cast what is the best way to accomplish this? I thought I would just grab one of the Lyman's and be done with it but that is proving not the case.

Thank you
You planning on shooting lead bullets through an AR-15?
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 14:06   #5
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
You planning on shooting lead bullets through an AR-15?
The 300 is quite popular w/ lead bullets. I don;t know if the gas system is modified at all to help this happen. It's a project I am interested in.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 21:07   #6
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The 300 is quite popular w/ lead bullets. I don;t know if the gas system is modified at all to help this happen. It's a project I am interested in.
It might be easier to clean the gas system than to swage all of those 22 cal pills to shoot 5.56.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51   #7
Nutt51

Here is a link to where you can find just about anything
related to the 300.
I have seen heavy cast bullets for shooting subsonic in
the Blackout, but to shoot at higher velocity, it would depend
on your barrel length, gas system length, and bullet weight.
You would need to work up a custom load to get your
rifle to cycle properly.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/

"I figure that a man's only good for one oath at a time. I made mine to the Confederate States Of America".
"John Wayne", "The Searchers".
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 22:00   #8
bradhenn

A .32 ACP expander works perfectly,

Use one for my Dillon for 250 gr lead in 300BLK.

any brand .32 pistol expander will work, obviously just back it out to account for the 1.36" to .675" trim length of the cartridges.

The diameter difference is .308 to .312 -- which the hard cast lead bullets like just fine. Seat and crimp as normal and you're GTG>
bradhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 22:03   #9
bradhenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I would think any 308 caliber die could be made to work. Obviously a 06 would be too ling, but a 308 or 7.62x39 should work. You ideally want some nominal case support as the ecxpander does it's thing, but it could be done. You only need a ver slight bell at the case mouth.
You need to use a pistol expander die, all 2 step modern rifle dies are setup to run jacketed bullets. You need a bigger bell to seat lead properly.

If you use the factory dies, you'll shave a lot of lead, whereas the jacket bullets slide in fine.

Its like belling for loading .38 specials or similar with lead bullets.
bradhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18   #10
Rich22

Now this I NEVER would have thought of, I will look into this more, So any one of them will have sufficient adjustability to work? Any specific recommendations? Appreciate the idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhenn View Post
A .32 ACP expander works perfectly,

Use one for my Dillon for 250 gr lead in 300BLK.

any brand .32 pistol expander will work, obviously just back it out to account for the 1.36" to .675" trim length of the cartridges.

The diameter difference is .308 to .312 -- which the hard cast lead bullets like just fine. Seat and crimp as normal and you're GTG>
Rich22 is offline   Reply With Quote