Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 20:48   #21
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I've been seeing "her" used a lot lately in policies and legal documents. Guess I'm dating myself.
I think that is from the movie Dogma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:04   #22
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
I think that is from the movie Dogma.
1999 - 2005, I was out of the country, and missed a lot of what some people consider "pop" culture.

I've never seen dogma, and only googled it to see what year it came out. I spent a significant amount of 1999 moving to Germany, immediately deploying to Kosovo as part of the initial invasion force, and did not return to Germany, which has limited American movie and TV exposure until just before 2000.

Can you summarize? Don't worry about a spoiler.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:39   #23
Syclone538

It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

It's making fun of religion, but not God. Kevin Smith is a Christian.

Have you seen any Kevin Smith movies?

Clerks
Mallrats
Dogma
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Clerks 2

There are a couple more, but either aren't any good, or I don't know about them.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 21:52   #24
furioso2112

One thing's for sure - when that sucker burns out, we're all gonna be in trouble.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:54   #25
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

It's making fun of religion, but not God. Kevin Smith is a Christian.

Have you seen any Kevin Smith movies?

Clerks
Mallrats
Dogma
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Clerks 2

There are a couple more, but either aren't any good, or I don't know about them.
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, pretty sure I saw most of that one at one time or another.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:55   #26
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
One thing's for sure - when that sucker burns out, we're all gonna be in trouble.
Not unless it hurries up and does that in the next 50 years or so. Otherwise, It won't be a problem for me.

Old 01-24-2013, 22:03   #27
Syclone538

Quote:
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, pretty sure I saw most of that one at one time or another.
While I think that's the best one, it's also the one with the most inside jokes from the previous movies.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 22:05   #28
ksg0245

Quote:
1999 - 2005, I was out of the country, and missed a lot of what some people consider "pop" culture.

I've never seen dogma, and only googled it to see what year it came out. I spent a significant amount of 1999 moving to Germany, immediately deploying to Kosovo as part of the initial invasion force, and did not return to Germany, which has limited American movie and TV exposure until just before 2000.

Can you summarize? Don't worry about a spoiler.
Highlight from here down to the bottom to see the spoiler:
Satan wants to exploit a loophole in God's plan that will allow him re-entry to Heaven, but if he's successful in getting back in, that will prove God fallible and erase the Universe. Satan recruits a couple of exiled angels to help him and traps God in the body of a skee-baller to keep her from interfering, but God impregnates an abortion clinic worker who, with the help of Rufus the forgotten black angel, saves humanity.
Old 01-24-2013, 22:13   #29
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Just about everything we can figure out is through inductive reasoning. That's cool. We all use our experiences and stuff other people told us, (much more often that most will admit) and the small amount that we have experienced ourselves to come to conclusions. Even though our lifespans are an infinitesimal amount of time when compared to the existence of the universe. Even though the most knowledgeable human in history, knew very little about what humanity knows. The amount we have traveled personally is an infinitesimal amount of distance relatively, even if you have looked through a telescope.

Like it or not, the best you, I or anyone else really has to work with, is not even close enough to claim as much knowledge as some claim. Many times, that knowledge is really belief, many times some people hold that belief for convenience or to avoid emotional distress, or even out of ignorance. It's understandably difficult to be unsure. Many people aren't able to tolerate that. It's a weakness in some, and just a lack of ability in others.
So, you aren't going to answer the question?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08   #30
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg0245 View Post
Highlight from here down to the bottom to see the spoiler:
[COLOR="White"]Satan wants to
Sounds like a lot of opportunity for plot twists and humor.

Did you ever see the original "Oh God" with George Burns? I like a lot of the older comedies.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21   #31
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
So, you aren't going to answer the question?
We weren't talking of any particular mythos. I thought that was obvious. The point being, just because there are major flaws in a religion, even if it incorrectly describes a deity and has numerous contradictipns it doesn't prove that an intelligence of some sort did not create cellular life here or elsewhere. Even chaotic religions with numerous texts, contradictory commandments and too numerous to count denominations doesn't prove that religion's deity didn't exist. People get things wrong, give them a lot of time, and just about anything can be twisted beyond recognition. Their are plenty of short time span examples of this in politics.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:13   #32
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Even chaotic religions with numerous texts, contradictory commandments and too numerous to count denominations doesn't prove that religion's deity didn't exist.
Possible is a very weak word. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is possible because no one can 100% conclusively prove that one doesn't exist. But when you take a group of scriptures that are so flawed, so full of errors and contradictions, and has had mostly all of its claims about the origins of Man, the Earth, and the Universe proven not just inaccurate but grossly untrue... How PROBABLE do you think that deity really is?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:26   #33
ksg0245

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of opportunity for plot twists and humor.

Did you ever see the original "Oh God" with George Burns? I like a lot of the older comedies.
I preferred the first over the second, and while they entertained, they were a little too softball for me; the humor suffered from their attempt to avoid offense. Dogma doesn't offend for the sake of offending, which isn't always the case with Kevin Smith, but it doesn't avoid humor that might offend. It's less sanitized than the Oh, God movies.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53   #34
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
It appears to be evidence of a sun.

It is still quite awesome.
In this case, I agree with you. Like many things people claim are "evidence of God" it is just evidence that something amazing exists, not evidence of why.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14   #35
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Is there even a requirement to worship a creator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Depends, which particular mythos are we discussing?
Quote:
We weren't talking of any particular mythos. I thought that was obvious.
You asked me a question that required context to answer. If you don't wish to elaborate then that is fine. I will assume your question was rhetorical.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:17   #36
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Just proves that the generally recocgnized God, might not have a certain charachteristic that we once thought.

If there is a God, it is probably mischaracterized generally, for the most part, almost always.

Religious Issues

Old 01-25-2013, 09:10   #37
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Possible is a very weak word. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is possible because no one can 100% conclusively prove that one doesn't exist. But when you take a group of scriptures that are so flawed, so full of errors and contradictions, and has had mostly all of its claims about the origins of Man, the Earth, and the Universe proven not just inaccurate but grossly untrue... How PROBABLE do you think that deity really is?
Just as likely as not, obviously.

Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 09:16   #38
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Just as likely as not, obviously.

I don't know. Generally speaking, almost always... or not... whatever...

Last edited by Geko45; 01-25-2013 at 09:17..
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19   #39
void *
Dereference Me!

That spoiler is factually inaccurate
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson
Old 01-25-2013, 09:28   #40
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
That spoiler is factually inaccurate
Perhaps, almost definitely, or not... Impossible to be certain, wouldn't you agree?

Closed Thread