Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:45   #1
Aiden

Just picked up my new SR-22!

After a sharp decline in my collection due to being dirt poor and paying for college, I've finally received my degree and am gainfully employed.

At the very top of my "list o' guns to acquire" was an SR-22 (the girlfriend fell in love with it, and I think it's cute), and while I was at a local shop for a transfer, I saw they had a tiny Ruger sitting behind the glass. The price was right, so I said "I'll take it", and took it home with me the following week!

Rimfire Forum

Picked up a couple bricks of federal bulk and some CCI Mini-mags, going to be a fun time.
Old 07-14-2012, 13:16   #2
cheapshot

You will love it! I've had one for 3 or 4 months. After being sent back to Ruger for a slide that was machined wrong, it's been perfect! Sucked having to send it back in, but it was worth it. Buy plenty more ammo. You're gona need it!
cheapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 17:02   #3
bac1023

Congrats!

A buddy of mine has one and he loves it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 19:01   #4
Aiden

Well I just got back from a short, unplanned range trip, and now I have a question for anyone who has em.

I ran the 100 CCI mini mags through it without a hiccup, but the problems started when I moved to the bulk pack Federal.

About 10% of the time, I'd get a nice solid strike on the primer, the shot would fire, but the extractor seems like it would just slip off, and I'd be left with a case in the chamber. There was a scratch on the casing, but I don't know if that was from the slide slamming forward onto the casing, or from the extractor coming off it as the slide recoiled.

I tried some Blazer .22lr and Remington Thunderbolts that were on hand, put about a hundred Blazer through it alongside more Federal, and I couldn't reliably replicate the problem. But it did occasionally have the same issue with the Blazer, and I only put 20 Remingtons through.

At the end of the day, I had put about 650 rounds through it in all, and I'm wondering if a thorough cleaning and lube job will remedy my issue?

Aside from that, when it did run, it ran great, and I love this little thing!
Old 07-14-2012, 19:52   #5
G22Racer

I've got one of those and it is my favorite gun. I've put a couple of thousand through mine and I just love it. Congrats and enjoy!

The bulk federal didn't work for me either. The CCI was great and the Remington in the green box was good. The ones I like the most however are the Winchester in the white box. Don't get the Xpert ones, get the other ones. It's the 550 brick. The gun just eats those up!

Last edited by G22Racer; 07-14-2012 at 19:54..
G22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 19:58   #6
G22Racer

This stuff. My SR22 loves it.

Rimfire Forum
Old 07-14-2012, 19:59   #7
G22Racer

Rimfire Forum
Old 07-14-2012, 20:14   #8
Aiden

I'll have to give that a try, it's not as easy to find that locally, for some reason...

I'm still hoping it will suddenly like Federal bulk, that's my favorite .22lr D:
Old 07-14-2012, 20:17   #9
G22Racer

I got a 500 bulk of that federal ammo. The big box had smaller boxes in it. My 10-22 rifle likes them, but I couldn't get them through the SR22 reliably. It just didn't like them. That is the only ammo it hasn't liked that I've tried.
Old 07-14-2012, 20:54   #10
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22Racer View Post

Rimfire Forum
My SR22 hated that crap. So did my M&P 15-22. Both had multiple failures. I also tried Winchester's M22... also CRAP. I won't be buying any Winchester 22LR again.

Federal bulk runs flawlessly. Also pretty much anything from CCI.
racer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 21:06   #11
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

To the OP, congrats on the new SR22. I love the pistol. .22LR is so much fun (and so cheap). Also love my M&P 15-22... a rifle that everyone should have!
Old 07-14-2012, 21:43   #12
Aiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
To the OP, congrats on the new SR22. I love the pistol. .22LR is so much fun (and so cheap). Also love my M&P 15-22... a rifle that everyone should have!
I sold my 15-22 to finish my last semester of college D:

Luckily I sold it to my shooting partner, so I get to shoot it tons anyway. :D

But yea, my Kimber .22lr kit, my Spike's Tactical .22lr upper, my AA Glock .22lr kit, and my M&P 15-22 all love Federal Bulk, so I really would like for this gun to run it as well.

I'm going to strip it down, clean it off, and lube it nicely and put it back together. Then I'll try the rest of the Federal again. The fact that I can't get it to reliably malfunction leads me to believe it could just be a bit of crap lodged somewhere that needs cleaning.

I'd run 50 rounds rapid fire without a hiccup, then the next mag 2 of the cases would fail to eject. shrug
Old 07-15-2012, 06:49   #13
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

The problems I had with the Win 555 bulk were mostly failures to feed. The rounds would get hung up.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09   #14
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
Well I just got back from a short, unplanned range trip, and now I have a question for anyone who has em.

I ran the 100 CCI mini mags through it without a hiccup, but the problems started when I moved to the bulk pack Federal.

About 10% of the time, I'd get a nice solid strike on the primer, the shot would fire, but the extractor seems like it would just slip off, and I'd be left with a case in the chamber. There was a scratch on the casing, but I don't know if that was from the slide slamming forward onto the casing, or from the extractor coming off it as the slide recoiled.

I tried some Blazer .22lr and Remington Thunderbolts that were on hand, put about a hundred Blazer through it alongside more Federal, and I couldn't reliably replicate the problem. But it did occasionally have the same issue with the Blazer, and I only put 20 Remingtons through.

At the end of the day, I had put about 650 rounds through it in all, and I'm wondering if a thorough cleaning and lube job will remedy my issue?

Aside from that, when it did run, it ran great, and I love this little thing!
Mine has been great with every kind of ammo I have tried. I wonder if your extractor got damaged somehow?
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37   #15
Aiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
Mine has been great with every kind of ammo I have tried. I wonder if your extractor got damaged somehow?
It looks to be in good working order, if a little gritty.
Old 07-15-2012, 13:51   #16
G22Racer

I had the FTE issues with the Federal Bulk. I'd go back to the Remington or Winchester rounds and the gun would be flawless. Don't know what it was. I clean it after each use. I've always heard that rimfire guns can be finicky with ammo. I've just been loading up on the stuff that works.

I'd like to get a threaded barrel and suppression for it. I'm filling out the forms now.
Old 07-15-2012, 20:52   #17
Peter_72

Remington golden bullets are the best bulk ammo I have found! I shoot them in our SR22, Walther P22Q, GSG and my rough rider revolver and they ran as consistent as the cci's did! They are not easy for me to buy locally so when I find them I stock up!!

The SR22 and the P22Q both like to run clean, I strip and clean them after ever session.
Rimfire Club Member #1227

Last edited by Peter_72; 07-16-2012 at 04:22..
Peter_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11   #18
Aiden

A loooong overdue update to this thread.

Since the time of writing this review, I've had quite a few more issues with the SR-22. No matter what (non Mini Mag) ammo I fed it, I'd get hangups, and in the later months of 2012 I started experiencing issues with more frequency.

Getting frustrated, I finally gave up and decided to email Ruger to have them take a look at it. They, of course, said they'd send me a shipping label, +1 for Ruger CS.

At the same time, I decided to look around and see if I could fix the problem. When I had previously looked, I hadn't seen any definitive answer to my problems that worked consistently. But this time around, I found possible new answer to my woes.

"Is the recoil spring properly on the guide rod?"

*looks*

No. No it was not. It was kinda on halfassedly when I first shot it, but a few times disassembling it and the spring came free. It's supposed to be captive, by way of tiny increase in diameter on the guide rod.

*30 minutes of swearing and fingernail poking later*

Now my spring is fully seated on my guide rod, and my gun is functioning 100%, with my Federal bulk, Federal Auto Match, Blazer, and CCI. Have put 500 rounds through it since fixing my recoil spring, and not a single hiccup or failure. I'm extremely happy with it.

Since this gun is the preferred gun of many a young female companion, 4 friends of mine have purchased the SR-22 as their first gun. 3 of them have had almost no issues over a combined total of about 5k rounds. 1 of them has had issues similar to mine from the start, not even 400 rounds through it.

The owner texted me and asked for my input. I asked her to take it apart and look at the guide rod.

Same problem.

Same solution.

Gun ran flawlessly on Federal bulk for the next 300 rounds when we take it out.

--------------------------

The short of it? I love this gun. It's a definite favorite of mine. Everyone who has handled and shot it loves it. It has a dedicated pocket in my range bag, it doesn't matter where or what I'm shooting that day, the little SR-22 comes out to play every time.
Old 01-23-2013, 17:14   #19
Irish Stout

Thanks for the info. I have just acquired one myself. Before I had a chance to shoot it, I was doing a little reading on a Ruger forum and came across this same info about the spring and rod. My spring was not captive out of the box. Luckily for me, it only took me 2 minutes to get the spring captive.

What worked for me was putting the head of the rod down on a table with the narrow tip pointing up. Install the narrow end of the spring onto the rod. Grab the top of the spring and compress until it is about halfway down the length of the rod. Hold the spring in this position with one hand, and with the other hand grab the lower part of the spring and twist and press down until it slips over the raised part of the rod. The twisting should help to open up the coil a bit.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 17:34   #20
ca survivor

Congrats!
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote