Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 20:31   #1
Stock Perfection

accidental/ neglegent discharge. learn from each others mistakes

Hello all! I was surprised not to find this topic. It is a very high level of awareness indeed that prevents a person who works with a side-arm daily, for many years at a time, to never unintentionally fire that weapon. I am a conscientious (former) gun owner. I make it my business to always keep things safe. Although, in 23 years of carry, even I have made this huge, inexcuseble mistake not once, but twice. Both times were due to operator error. Both times were caused by not clearing the weapon prior to depressing the trigger. Once in preperation for cleaning, and once while actually clearing a pistol. Whatever was left of my good safety practices made for no injuries. This hasn't happened for many years, because I simply willl not allow that to happen again. This is exactly the sort of thing we should talk about. The eleventeen rounds on target in under a second stories are good, but I'd like safety fresh in the minds of those armed persons around me. A person does a thing so many times, and even without realizing it, misses a step, does something out of order etc, and bang! I hope people are honest in telling their stories, so we all can take something from each. What's your opinion on this subject? Thanks. Stock Perfection- perminent gun rookie

Last edited by Stock Perfection; 01-24-2013 at 20:41..
Stock Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:38   #2
Dooger

Never happened to me...and I hope it never does.
Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:39   #3
moonwilson

I've never had an ND in over 30 years of using firearms, and pray to God I never do. If I ever had an ND, I'd never, ever hear the end of it from my Dad. He would probably call me in the middle of the night, five years later, just to remind and chastise me. And not to mention my wife- she'd string me up. I'm super, super careful with my guns, but accidents can and do happen.

Attention to detail, gentlemen.
moonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:47   #4
vandros
10mm fan

I think if it ever happens to anybody, they should put the gun down, slowly step away, then sell it, and never come near guns ever again. I know that is exactly what I would do, if AD ever happened to me because of operator error. Some people are not wired to have safety as their first priority when handling dangerous objects (even though they might think the are), which can cost them or some other innocent person their life. Just my 0.02. I don't mean this as a criticism of the OP - just my opinion.

Last edited by vandros; 01-24-2013 at 20:49..
vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:51   #5
tonyparson

Over 20 years handling guns and never had and AD. If you follow the gun safety rules you'll never have one.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:04   #6
danNiB-X

If I learned anything in the service it was attention to detail. The second you get lazy and forget the basics is when these types of things happen. When picking up any firearm(goes with out saying) safety protocol should be automatic. In my 25+ years of firearm ownership I have never had any issues. I have had people safety check a weapon in front of me, hand me the weapon and ask me why I re-check it before handling it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by danNiB-X; 01-24-2013 at 21:09..
danNiB-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:17   #7
Stock Perfection

Dooger- You are on your sefety. Continue that.
moonwilson- You are a go. And how do I get my old mans voice out of my head telling me to clear it- whatever it is- first?
vandros- That's pretty harsh- but opinions are what I've asked for. The op is not offended my friend.
tonyparson- Fine job. Not following the rules IS the problem.
danNiB-X- Stay alert stay alive. I simply failed to follow protocol. I am MR double safety check, believe that or not!
Looking foward to more stories!

Last edited by Stock Perfection; 01-24-2013 at 21:24..
Old 01-24-2013, 21:26   #8
ncglock19

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I'm sorry you are a former gun owner.

Remember the rule for all gun safety... If you are going through your process (in this case, making the gun safe) you are somehow interrupted, don't continue the process, start over from the beginning.

nc19
ncglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:33   #9
vandros
10mm fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Perfection View Post
vandros- That's pretty harsh- but opinions are what I've asked for. The op is not offended my friend.
Sorry, pal, didn't mean to be harsh/rude
Old 01-24-2013, 22:00   #10
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope

I am fanatically, anal retentively, religiously OCD about gun safety. IMHO it's the only way to prevent a ND. As soon as I pick up one of my weapons I begin a litany in head. "Finger OFF the trigger, point down, clear or holster the gun" etc etc depending on what I'm doing.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, far from it. But I'm confident that I'm careful enough to not have an ND.

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:00   #11
Stock Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandros View Post
Sorry, pal, didn't mean to be harsh/rude
Didn't expect that you would have meant to be rude, I meant harsh as in; as a response. No worries.
ncglock19- Unfortunately, it took me twice, that's rough. Bad enough I thought I'd mention it here, and see what people had to say about their own experiences.
Lone Wolf8634- Stay off the meds, OCD on gun safety can not be a bad thing lol!

Last edited by Stock Perfection; 01-24-2013 at 22:07..
Old 01-24-2013, 23:26   #12
oneuglygun

A very qualified instructor from a Federal agency where I trained years ago said "there are two kinds of firearms handlers, those that have had an AD and those that are going to have an AD". I tend to agree with him.
oneuglygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06   #13
9mmdude

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1461604
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40   #14
Stock Perfection

oneuglygun- A half-deaf old artilleryman once told me the same thing. "Not me." I thought...
9mmdude- Thanks for the link!

What experience have you had with ad/nd? What's your opinion?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54   #15
Athensm50

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuglygun View Post
A very qualified instructor from a Federal agency where I trained years ago said "there are two kinds of firearms handlers, those that have had an AD and those that are going to have an AD". I tend to agree with him.
This reminds me of the same thing that I heard when I had my motorcycle......

it was not If you were going to lay it down....it was when you were going to lay it down!
Athensm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03   #16
9mmdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Perfection View Post
oneuglygun- A half-deaf old artilleryman once told me the same thing. "Not me." I thought...
9mmdude- Thanks for the link!

What experience have you had with ad/nd? What's your opinion?
I had one with a shotgun. Gun didnt fire and I smacked the buttstock on a rock, boom! Scared the crap out of me. Had a buddy that loaded a rifle next to me and it slam fired when he closed the action. The gun was defective and went full auto. He had to have it fixed by a gunsmith. Also scared the crap out of me.
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:10   #17
RoyHinkley
Bonafide User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athensm50 View Post
This reminds me of the same thing that I heard when I had my motorcycle......

it was not If you were going to lay it down....it was when you were going to lay it down!
Now that's one thing I HAVE done
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22   #18
fuzzy03cls

Follow the gun rules & it will never happen. You don't need to be OCD & over think it. Simple as that. Follow the rules all the time. This is not rocket science.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30   #19
uncledoodoo

Always good to have a reminder. My kids get it every single time they handle a gun. I try to keep in mind the time I went hunting with friends at about 18 yrs old and one of my friends dropped his 12 gauge and it fired within an inch of his head. We can never be reminded too much. Thanks
uncledoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32   #20
jdsumner

I have seen more than one person fire a second round downrange because they didn't deliberately reset the trigger, and the recoil and slop caused a really nice double tap.
Some of these same folks claim they have never had a AD/ND.
More people have had them than: will admit,
are aware that they did, since it, fortunately didn't
result in serious damage.
I attended Rany Cain's TH101 a few years back. While walking students thru the stages of trigger activation (pull, press, compression, stroke, whatever one wishes to call it), a student who was unfamiliar with proper reset fired "once" but had two holes on his target. Upon diagnosis from Mr. Cain, it was noted his trigger finger was firing a round, coming immediately forward, bouncing off the trigger guard and back into the trigger. He did not mean to fire two rounds, but he did. Later, on a forum discussion he landed pretty hard on someone who 'fessed up to a ND. I reminded him of his 'immaculate double tap'. "yeah, but nobody got hurt, and it was on the range". True enough, but an ND is an ND. I submit more folks have had them than are actually confessed to.

dan

Last edited by jdsumner; 01-25-2013 at 08:32..
jdsumner is offline   Reply With Quote