Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 13:58   #1
Scott3670

Quad rail question

I'm a total newbie to the world of AR rifles and have what might be a dumb question, so please forgive me. Anyway, I'm in the process of deciding what type of quad rail (7") I want to put on my rifle (Armalite A15) but I want it to cover the d-ring. I've seen many pics where it appears that the rail/handguard is integral with the receiver. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 14:03   #2
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

The DD Lite 7.0 will do what you want, though it removes the delta ring, it doesn't cover it.
https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...0-carbine.html

The DD Omega rail leaves the delta ring in place and the top rail cranes over to meet the top of the receiver.

https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...0-carbine.html

I have versions of both and have no complaints on either.

Last edited by Travclem; 01-27-2013 at 14:06..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 14:08   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3670 View Post
I'm a total newbie to the world of AR rifles and have what might be a dumb question, so please forgive me. Anyway, I'm in the process of deciding what type of quad rail (7") I want to put on my rifle (Armalite A15) but I want it to cover the d-ring. I've seen many pics where it appears that the rail/handguard is integral with the receiver. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.
While there are several rail options on the market that achieve this look, none of them will be a drop-in installation.

For the true monolithic uppers (receiver and rail are one piece), you will have to replace the entire upper receiver, and install your existing barrel, gas block and gas tube. Depending on the length of rail and gas system, you may be forced to install a low profile gas block, as well.

There are also rails that can be installed on your existing receiver, but these will require anywhere from a complete replacement of the barrel nut assembly (including D ring, spring, and retaining band) to cutting the D-ring assembly off of the factory barrel nut (or disassembling the entire upper to take it off without cutting).

Neither of these options are something I would suggest as a do-it-yourself project for someone new to AR-15s. They are definitely installs best left to a qualified armorer.

There are rails that you can install yourself pretty easily, but they will leave the delta ring assembly in place, and it will be visible. Anything from drop-in, non-free floated railed handguards (Troy, KAC, Daniel Defense, and others) to drop-in free float tubes with quad rails (DD, Midwest, Troy, and others). Most of these require little more than a screwdriver and/or allen wrench set to install. They range in price from $125 and higher, depending on brand.

There are cheaper options, too, but they tend ot be of lesser quality, and are more likely to come with out-of-spec rails, poor fit, poor anodizing, etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 14:11   #4
BenjiEDF

I don't think you can "cover up the delta ring" the handguards you are looking at probably have a proprietary replacement piece for the delta ring. If you see anything marketed as a "drop in handguard" what that means is it utilizes the existing delta ring on the rifle. Otherwise it will require gunsmithing in the sense that you will need to remove the delta ring and barrel in order to install the proprietary parts.

Are there any brands of quad rail that you have been looking at? The quad rail has some disadvantages like being too heavy and snagging on clothing etc. Most people are shying away from them in favor of modular rail systems. If I were to install one I would want one like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537...aluminum-black

What kind of stuff do you want to attach? light, foregrip, sling mount, etc?

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 14:21   #5
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
I don't think you can "cover up the delta ring" the handguards you are looking at probably have a proprietary replacement piece for the delta ring. If you see anything marketed as a "drop in handguard" what that means is it utilizes the existing delta ring on the rifle. Otherwise it will require gunsmithing in the sense that you will need to remove the delta ring and barrel in order to install the proprietary parts.

Are there any brands of quad rail that you have been looking at? The quad rail has some disadvantages like being too heavy and snagging on clothing etc. Most people are shying away from them in favor of modular rail systems. If I were to install one I would want one like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537...aluminum-black

What kind of stuff do you want to attach? light, foregrip, sling mount, etc?
This isn't always the case. My Daniel Defense Mk. 18 RIS II rail weighs about the same as a set of MOE Midlength handguards, despite the fact that the DD rail is a full aluminum 2-piece quad rail. The only time I have had anything snag up was something attached to the rail, and not the rail itself.

I've also found that - at least on the shorter rails - the modular ones often weigh just as much (sometimes more) as a full quad rail by the time you install all 2-3 rail sections on the tube.
Old 01-27-2013, 14:45   #6
samuse

OP you need to figure out what you want to accomplish with a 'quad rail' instead of trying to achieve a certain look.

Do you want to free float the barrel?

Do you run a VFG?

Where do you like your light?

What kind of light and light switch do you like?

Where do you like your sling?

Do you want to have disassemble the whole upper to get the handguards off or not?

Answer those questions and the right handguard will be likely find itself for you.

Don't know the answer to all those questions? Get out and take some classes with a basic carbine and a sling...

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 14:54   #7
humanguerrilla

If you don't want to change the standard barrel nut: Troy Battlerail Alpha and MRF, Centurian c4 2piece FF, Midwest Industries G2 2piece FF and 2 piece drop in free floats,Ergo Z 2 piece FF. If you aren't comfortable removing and reinstalling a gas block/front sight then I'd go with the 2 pieces. These require cutting the delta ring off (easy with a dremel) and removing the snap ring and spring (easy with pliers).

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 01-27-2013 at 16:13..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 16:52   #8
Scott3670

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
OP you need to figure out what you want to accomplish with a 'quad rail' instead of trying to achieve a certain look.

Do you want to free float the barrel?

Do you run a VFG?

Where do you like your light?

What kind of light and light switch do you like?

Where do you like your sling?

Do you want to have disassemble the whole upper to get the handguards off or not?

Answer those questions and the right handguard will be likely find itself for you.

Don't know the answer to all those questions? Get out and take some classes with a basic carbine and a sling...
Holy crap, I hadn't even thought about these points. Maybe I'm just guilty of trying to achieve a certain mall-ninja super-tactical bad***** look. Time to rethink this. Thanks.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:26   #9
AZson

All I know is the lighter the better, mine almost double the weight of my gun.