Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 19:49   #1
hsprincipal

Bought 870 Express Tactical Today ?s

Got a Magpul forend as well. What other accessories should I get? This is going to be a beater gun. That's why I got the Express, but I would like to upgrade sight and a few other things. Suggestions welcome...
G23, G21, G22, G26, G17, G27, G20, G19, G34, G30s, G17L, S&W 1911sc, Ruger SR1911, S&W M&P .40, S&W New .38 Bodyguard, Beretta Neos, Beretta Nano, Walther PPQ, Sig 2022 9mm, Victory model .38 S&W, Colt LE6920, PPS, M9, 870, S&W 637, CW9, RO 9mm
hsprincipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:25   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

The only forearm I would buy is a Surefire.

Depending on the use you intend for it maybe a side saddle. I personally dont like side saddles on hunting guns or HD guns as they change the balance and make carrying it more difficult.

On my duty shotgun I have a side saddle, sling, and a Surefire fore end. The only accessories needed on a good shotgun. I have considered an oversized safety, but haven't gotten around to trying one.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:29   #3
hsprincipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
The only forearm I would buy is a Surefire.

Depending on the use you intend for it maybe a side saddle. I personally dont like side saddles on hunting guns or HD guns as they change the balance and make carrying it more difficult.

On my duty shotgun I have a side saddle, sling, and a Surefire fore end. The only accessories needed on a good shotgun. I have considered an oversized safety, but haven't gotten around to trying one.
What are your opinions on changing the buttstock?
G23, G21, G22, G26, G17, G27, G20, G19, G34, G30s, G17L, S&W 1911sc, Ruger SR1911, S&W M&P .40, S&W New .38 Bodyguard, Beretta Neos, Beretta Nano, Walther PPQ, Sig 2022 9mm, Victory model .38 S&W, Colt LE6920, PPS, M9, 870, S&W 637, CW9, RO 9mm
Old 01-27-2013, 20:54   #4
pesty3782

Been using an 870 at work for over 27 years...own 2 and they both have sidesaddles, two point sling, extended mag tube, magpul stock, houge forend, and the vang comp round top large safety....just picked up a 1100 tac 4 and adding the same safety....

Keep it simple.....

Last edited by pesty3782; 01-27-2013 at 20:55..
pesty3782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 23:57   #5
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprincipal View Post
Got a Magpul forend as well. What other accessories should I get? This is going to be a beater gun. That's why I got the Express, but I would like to upgrade sight and a few other things. Suggestions welcome...
I have a speedfeed iv pistol grip stock, shotgun cards for extra rounds (similar to side saddle), bang comp big safety, upgraded mim express parts for the 870P parts, light mount/surefire light, and 1 pt sling on my work gun. Up to you how crazy you go, really depends on use.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-13-2013, 13:00   #6
w30olds

Send a message via AIM to w30olds
Ammo and practice

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Goodness and Mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
-Psalm 23:6
w30olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 19:13   #7
Nutt51

Bead front sight is all that you need for SD.

If you want to shoot slugs, you can get a barrel with sights.

I put a Wilson 2 shot extension without the sling mount on
mine and that's all I need.

If you want a tactical shotgun, and add parts, go to
aippi's website and read about shotguns.

"I figure that a man's only good for one oath at a time. I made mine to the Confederate States Of America".
"John Wayne", "The Searchers".
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 19:38   #8
plouffedaddy

If you plan on using it for defensive use, I recommend a light.

Tactical Shotguns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 21:06   #9
hsprincipal

Thanks... I do use it for HD... Do you have a recommendation for a light? BTW great videos... Keep up the good work....
Old 02-13-2013, 22:57   #10
up1911fan

I have the same model 870. I've added the heavier carrier dog spring, non MIM extractor, Vang safety and a Hogue 12" LOP stock. An XS bead and light are next.
up1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 23:24   #11
glockman99

Here is my Rem. 870 12-gauge Express Super Magnum:

Tactical Shotguns

Knoxx/Blackhawk adjustable pistol-grip stock (with Pachmayr slip-on grip on pistol grip), Hogue rubber forearm, 18.5" barrel, +2 magazine extention with clamp, Hi-Viz Flame Green front sight, 6-shot receiver mount ammo carrier, "tactical follower", Wolff extra power magazine spring (tuned), Mesa receiver mount hook loop for 1-point sling, trigger job...

Last edited by glockman99; 02-13-2013 at 23:30..
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 00:32   #12
Mad Ryan

Quote:
I put the Remington "Youth" model stock on mine. I like a 13in LOP on a pump gun.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:08   #13
glockman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ryan View Post
I put the Remington "Youth" model stock on mine. I like a 13in LOP on a pump gun.
This why I went with the adjustable length Knoxx/Blackhawk stock for my 870...I also like a shorter stock than "normal", as it's quicker to "shoulder" without getting hung-up on my shirt and/or jacket.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24   #14
Mad Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman99 View Post
This why I went with the adjustable length Knoxx/Blackhawk stock for my 870...I also like a shorter stock than "normal", as it's quicker to "shoulder" without getting hung-up on my shirt and/or jacket.
I had one of those from before they sold the company to Blackhawk. I liked it but that particular shotgun had issues. I never did get it sorted. Even Remington couldn't figure it out.

I ended up tearing the furniture off and selling it to a buddy and selling the action to a gunsmith buddy who eventually tore it completely down and rebuilt it and it worked fine.

I'm one of those rare individuals who's almost completely indifferent to recoil up to a point. I've shot a few big bore African style big game rifles that I'd not care to shoot again. They were custom affairs that were built to be light but still take down a 2000+lb animal with one shot.

But a shotty doesn't bother me at all, even my Benelli M2 which kicks pretty hard being as light as it is. My buddy Doug who's a Capt. in the Airforce so no stranger to guns will only shoot a few rounds through the Benelli.

So basically, the recoil eating utility of the Knoxx stock were lost on me but the design is pretty cool. I want to do another Remington with a folding setup for the car. I'll most likely do the Mesa extension and an ACE folder attached to it.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:41   #15
Cwlongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesty3782 View Post
Been using an 870 at work for over 27 years...own 2 and they both have sidesaddles, two point sling, extended mag tube, magpul stock, houge forend, and the vang comp round top large safety...

Keep it simple.....
Excellent advice...

Mine has a Choate pistol grip stock, Choate for-end with Surefire light, side saddle, Remington oversize safety and Breaching choke tube, a Ext mag tube and Rem choked (threaded barrel) rifle site barrel. These sites are steel and durable offering a excellent sight picture and durable sites.

Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
CW

Last edited by Cwlongshot; 02-14-2013 at 11:47.. Reason: Added pics
Cwlongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 14:35   #16
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Thanks... I do use it for HD... Do you have a recommendation for a light? BTW great videos... Keep up the good work....
The HSP WML is what I have on there now and I really like it in that position. Very instinctive to activate. I've also used a Streamlight ProTac HL on it before and it's worked very well. It's bright as hell (600 lumens) but the battery life is obviously shortened...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 15:44   #17
SouthpawG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
On the other hand a side saddle adds some recoil taming weight, and you don't have to carry an HD gun around far or long, like you do with a patrol gun. Grab the gun with a sidesaddle in an emergency and you have your reloads with you.

I also find reloading (be it the chamber or the tube), easier from a side saddle than from a stock mounted shell holder or Speedfeed.

A sling is still a good idea on an HD gun to free at least one hand for opening doors, holding on to children and other emergency tasks.

Last edited by SouthpawG26; 02-14-2013 at 15:44..
SouthpawG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 18:50   #18
glockman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ryan View Post
...So basically, the recoil eating utility of the Knoxx stock were lost on me but the design is pretty cool...
The Knoxx/Blackhawk stock that I have doesn't have that pesky recoil-reduction system...I don't want the whole damn shotgun moving backwards into the stock as I fire it.
Old 02-14-2013, 19:21   #19
1canvas

I put a four round SS on mine and really like it. it doesn't mess with the feel of the gun much. I have a +3 [I think] extended mag tube that make the front feel heavy so I don't care for it. it goes about an inch past my barrel. I think a +1 or 2 would feel better.

Last edited by 1canvas; 02-14-2013 at 19:23..
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:06   #20
vettely

Quote:
Just put the Magpul on mine and like it. Very nice stock.