GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:55   #1
bac1023

I need to get what I want the first time - Check it out! :):)

Well, even though I picked up a heavy frame P210 Legend Target, I couldn't shake my desire for a heavy frame Swiss P210. I got a great deal on this still NIB model and I couldn't pass it up. I've seen these sell for over $3000, but I got it for $2700 shipped, which is only about $500 more than I paid for the Legend. Don't get me wrong, I love the Legend model and would have eventually got one anyway. However, it didn't stop me from wanting one of the Swiss heavy frames, as I thought it might. At any rate, this is my fourth and final P210. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with four Sig P210s in the first place.

Obviously, this has become one of my favorite 9mms of all time, with the Browning Hi-Power first and the Smith & Wesson 952 second. I put the P210 in third place, but very close to the 952. That speaks volumes considering how many amazing pistols are chambered for 9mm.

Unlike most high end target pistols, the Sig P210 was originally a military pistol. Its was introduced in 1947 after being in development for a number of years (delayed by WWII). It was adopted by the Swiss army in 1949. While it doesn't quite have the pedigree of the Browning Hi Power, the P210 has a storied past and has been used by a number of countries for various functions over the years. From a quality and accuracy standpoint, the Sig always had the Browning beat by a country mile. The accuracy of the Sig is legendary and the Swiss army routinely used them out to 100 yards. These pistols were basically entirely hand built in Switzerland, starting from slides and frames that are machined from solid blocks of steel, not cast or forged. All these fine materials and precision craftsmanship made the P210 a very expensive gun to build, which led to the P220 pretty much replacing it in the mid 1970s.

After that, the P210 was primarily built for sporting purposes, with the -5, -6, and -8 variants being introduced. Production ended in 2004 or 2005, primarily due to manufacturing costs. In 2010, Sig reintroduced the P210. The new models are extremely high quality and are probably the most refined the P210 has ever been. However, they are now produced in Germany by computers instead of in Switzerland by hand. Gone is the personality of the old gun.

My latest model was built in 2002 and is, therefore, among the last built before Swiss production stopped forever. As I mentioned above, it was built on the heavy frame, which was an option towards the end of the Swiss production run (all German models now use this frame). Though it isn't stamped on the slide, this is a -6 variant and has the target rear sight and the tall front sight. They give an outstanding sight picture. However, as I stated when I bought my Legend model, I prefer the way the German models integrated the rear sight into the slide, instead of just staking it on top like the Swiss target models. The grips are no doubt the nicest of any of my P210s, showing some beautiful wood grain and great color. The trigger is the target version with the lighter weight. The matte finish on the Swiss models is not quite as nice as the Nitron finish on the Legend series P210s, but its not bad by any means.

Here are the pics, including a 50m (about 55 yards) 6-shot test target. It looks like one flyer and the rest are in one ragged hole from over half a football field away.. That's pretty awesome in my book.

As always, please share your thoughts and opinions on my new gun as well as the Sig P210 in general.

Thanks!

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:56   #2
bac1023

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Here is my new Sig P210 family picture.

P210-1, P210-6, P210-6 HF, P210 Legend Target.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02   #3
Mango40

I've always admired well designed cars, tools and cameras. These Sig pistols show the signs of good industrial design. This is a great looking collection of accurate pistols you've put together. Great photos.
Mango40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14   #4
TexasVine

Great collection. Since being introduced to the Sig P210 in one of your past postings, I have kept my eye out for one of them here in Texas. Such a beautiful piece with uncompromised styling. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:30   #5
raven11

Love the pistol, you know it shoots good when the test target is one ragged hole lol
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35   #6
Rinspeed
JAFO

Congrats Brian, that looks awesome.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:38   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Bac,

I like it. A Swiss P210 is on my must-buy list for this year. I like all of yours with the standard length barrels. I don't care for the looks of the extended barrel models, but if that's all I can get then that's what I'd get.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:40   #8
38 Super Fan

Very impressive Brian!
38 Super Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43   #9
jakebrake
cracker

that's gorgeous!

you find that local?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45   #10
Bruce M

Wow Very nice!
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59   #11
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Bac,

I like it. A Swiss P210 is on my must-buy list for this year. I like all of yours with the standard length barrels. I don't care for the looks of the extended barrel models, but if that's all I can get then that's what I'd get.
I also prefer the look of the standard length guns, but the extended barrel model P210-5s and especially the long slide models sell for higher prices.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:01   #12
Bruce M

It would be interesting to hear which is your favorite at the range
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04   #13
PzGren

Very, very nice.

I love Swiss things. Raclette included.
PzGren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34   #14
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
that's gorgeous!

you find that local?
Thanks

Not local

I saw it on Sigforum, but it was previously on Gunbroker.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:37   #15
deputy tom

What a beauty! Congrats. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceňl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 13:45   #16
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Congrats!

With your collection, I wouldn't feel right without having this to lock them all up in....
General Firearms Forum

Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 14:23   #17
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzGren View Post
Very, very nice.

I love Swiss things. Raclette included.
Thanks Andy

Old 01-26-2013, 17:33   #18
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
It would be interesting to hear which is your favorite at the range
Yeah, I'll have to have some sort of P210 shootout.

Old 01-26-2013, 17:48   #19
G23c

Very cool, good write up.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 18:12   #20
countrygun

I have been a "sideline fan" of the 210 for decades. They are not only a fine handgun, but a fine display of craftsmanship and occupy a special niche in the history of handguns, military handguns, and their effect and the "geist" that created them is a part of political science history.

It is a sad thing to admit that all of our production technology has not made guns like that more common, but rather more rare.

I sometimes think we missed a turn somewhere,
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote