Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2013, 18:22   #1
Vigilant

Oiling a new 590A1

What kind of oil do y'awl recommend for this, and do you do anything different the first time on a new gun?

I have used spray Rem Oil in the past, but I would think there is probably something even better out now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 18:44   #2
ArmoryDoc

I'm sorry man but you have 6,779 posts and you haven't seen an oil or lube thread yet ?
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 19:50   #3
aliasneo07

Im also curious about this. Lots of experience lubing and cleaning pistols and rifles but none with pump shotguns. My new mossberg is unfired but 3 years old sitting in a safe. Im sure it needs some lube.
aliasneo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 18:19   #4
Lugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
I'm sorry man but you have 6,779 posts and you haven't seen an oil or lube thread yet ?
Maybe it would have just been easier to just answer the question. We all need help sometime.

Last edited by Lugi; 01-17-2013 at 18:25..
Lugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 18:24   #5
Lugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
What kind of oil do y'awl recommend for this, and do you do anything different the first time on a new gun?

I have used spray Rem Oil in the past, but I would think there is probably something even better out now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasneo07 View Post
Im also curious about this. Lots of experience lubing and cleaning pistols and rifles but none with pump shotguns. My new mossberg is unfired but 3 years old sitting in a safe. Im sure it needs some lube.

I've done this to all my guns...and my last two 590A1's one of them where just the other day.

I take off the barrel and the trigger housing...and then gut the receiver, (I USE CLP) hit all the parts with the clp, run a wet patch threw the barrel and let them sit....the longer the better. Then take a brush and scrub everything.

Wipe clean and run a thin coat of clp on everything. put it back together and do a function test....and booooom you good to go!

Last edited by Lugi; 01-17-2013 at 18:27..
Lugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 18:27   #6
Slackinoff

I switched over to Froglube because its non toxic and smells better than nitro solvent and gun oil. Its a cleaner and a lube. I wipe all metal parts down and all internal parts too. Easy peasy.

Last edited by Slackinoff; 01-17-2013 at 18:28..
Slackinoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 19:06   #7
deathpriest

Mobil 1 for all my firearms lubrication needs :-)
deathpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 20:10   #8
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Hate me, but Rem gun oil still works. I've looked at all the different oils and water based lubricants and just feel safe with the tried and true, non-corrosive, moisture protective Remington oil.

Use little oil as a lot is not needed and keep it out of any firing pin mechanisms and the barrel. Also out of the tube so as to not foul the shells.

OK. tell me how wrong this is.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 21:12   #9
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

Weapon Shield is my choice for gun care. I have not found a better product that does it all. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 21:20   #10
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Rem-Oil
Old 01-17-2013, 22:09   #11
glockdoc21

go to your nearest gas station and buy a quart of 10w30. That should last you a lifetime.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54   #12
fuzzy03cls

I use Tetra gun lube for my long guns. On my 590A1 I lube the forend rails, the sides of the bolt, & around the inside. Not much is needed. Also put a light coat with your finger on the barrel & exterior. The finish is parkarized & the oil is sucked into the coating & protects the finish.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 18:44   #13
Vigilant

I appreciate the input. I ended up doing what I know best: I doused the outside metal down with Rem Oil. Sprayed a little in the breech, but not on the bolt face.

Now, if I can just find some paper targets that don't shoot back, I'll be content for a while.
Old 01-18-2013, 19:12   #14
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
First of all it doesn't matter what lube you use. It is a pump shotgun and America has been building them for over 110 years. All modern pumps are bullet proof. You don't even need to oil it to make it work. However lubricating it will make it easier to use and last longer.

Also you can't over lubricate it. I know some one will tell us different but if you soaked it in a tub of oil and lift it out and let the oil run off and out of the bore it will work fine. However you will get messy.

So don't fear oiling you Mossberg.

Disassemble you gun down to it's basic parts. Receiver, trigger group and forearm assemble.

Clean all the soot, gunk and dirt off and out of each part. Wipe off solvent. Now you can oil all moving parts where they meet other moving parts.

Or....you can spray with what ever lube you want inside of receiver, trigger group, the action bars of the forearm (slide) and the outside the the magazine tube. Wipe off excess and reassemble. Note WD 40 is not a gun oil but if you chose to use it everything thing would still work. Remember the thing about pumps being bullet proof.

If you do this it is more care than most pump shotguns get.

Enjoy your toy and keep shooting.
Old 01-18-2013, 20:41   #15
aptrpl6
Detached Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the retired sarge View Post
weapon shield is my choice for gun care. I have not found a better product that does it all. Bill
^this!^

Carolina Glockers 13666
aptrpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24   #16
Deadduck

I duck hunt a LOT and constantly get my shotguns wet, muddy, and sooty from shooting. I use CLP or nitro solvent to clean and Rem Oil to lubricate periodically. Also wipe down after every hunt with a rag soaked in Rem Oil. Are there better products? Maybe, but this has worked for me and my guns, rifles, pump shotguns, and auto shotguns for 25 years, so why change. Also, I love the smell of solvents and gun oil. Brings back memories of my youth and shooting. Its just what guns are supposed to smell like to me.

As far as lubrication, I wouldn't overdo it if you're going to be in dusty conditions. Otherwise, have at it!!

Last edited by Deadduck; 01-19-2013 at 09:26..
Deadduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35   #17
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadduck View Post
I duck hunt a LOT and constantly get my shotguns wet, muddy, and sooty from shooting. I use CLP or nitro solvent to clean and Rem Oil to lubricate periodically. Also wipe down after every hunt with a rag soaked in Rem Oil. Are there better products? Maybe, but this has worked for me and my guns, rifles, pump shotguns, and auto shotguns for 25 years, so why change. Also, I love the smell of solvents and gun oil. Brings back memories of my youth and shooting. Its just what guns are supposed to smell like to me.

As far as lubrication, I wouldn't overdo it if you're going to be in dusty conditions. Otherwise, have at it!!
CLP and Rem Oil has been my recipe as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 00:58   #18
uaengineer

The first time you take it out of the box you'll notice the action just seems real cruddy. I detail stripped it, cleaned each part and inside the barrel with a good solvent then put a very thin coat of Ballistol on each part and run a soaked patch through the barrel before reassembling and wiping the exterior with an oily rag. You'll notice a much smoother action already and gets smoother with time and use. I like to detail clean it every once in awhile since it's a primary HD gun.
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 18:30   #19
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
LOL! Although I don't always commend snarky replies you made me literally laugh out loud.

There's more oil threads I think than caliber debates.

No Agenda Show

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:15   #20
xeojx

+1 for Frog Lube!!
2 sks's
kel tec sub2000 40 cal
xeojx is offline   Reply With Quote