Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2013, 16:02   #1
vallelbg

DPMS Panther

Any thoughts or feelings, good or bad concerning this rifle?
vallelbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 16:05   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

While there are plenty of people that are happy with DPMS rifles, they also have a history of having more problems that some of the slightly more expensive brands. They are generally of inferior quality to, say, BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, S&W, and even PSA.
Old 01-26-2013, 16:06   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

They bought several of them for our SWAT team several years back. They haven't had any problems from them.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 16:07   #4
LL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallelbg View Post
Pop yourself a big bowl of popcorn and grab a drink. Do a search for "DPMS" and be prepared for a lot of reading.
Old 01-26-2013, 17:03   #5
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
They bought several of them for our SWAT team several years back. They haven't had any problems from them.
Well, Collim1, your SWAT team is clearly not down with the 411 cuz if they were your DPMS rifles would know to be malfunctioning at the proper rate. They just missed the memo from Colt Industries.

Be prepared for all the operators to tell you that Colt is the only true rifle!

-Stooxie
Old 01-26-2013, 17:38   #6
larson1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
Well, Collim1, your SWAT team is clearly not down with the 411 cuz if they were your DPMS rifles would know to be malfunctioning at the proper rate. They just missed the memo from Colt Industries.

Be prepared for all the operators to tell you that Colt is the only true rifle!

-Stooxie
What exactly is the purpose for a post like this? The OP didn't ask to listen to somebody whine about Colt or "operators," he asked about DPMS.

OP, I don't own a DPMS, but from what I have seen they seem to have a higher percentage of problem guns leaving the factory than some of the more reputable companies. Sure, most DPMS owners are probably happy and haven't had problems, but it definitely seems like the risk of getting a problem gun are higher with DPMS.
larson1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 17:51   #7
LL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larson1122 View Post
What exactly is the purpose for a post like this? The OP didn't ask to listen to somebody whine about Colt or "operators," he asked about DPMS.

Black Rifle Forum

Old 01-26-2013, 17:55   #8
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL6 View Post
Pop yourself a big bowl of popcorn and grab a drink. Do a search for "DPMS" and be prepared for a lot of reading.
LMAO.. No kidding

Although OP, my cousins boyfriend had one, put about 50 rounds through it and the hand guards fell apart on his hands. That is my only experience from anyone I know. YMMV.

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto

Last edited by michael_b; 01-26-2013 at 18:00..
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 18:18   #9
larson1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL6 View Post
Black Rifle Forum

As crazy as it sounds, some people like to ask questions without having their thread turned into the inevitable brand war bickering contest that usually occurs here.
Old 01-26-2013, 19:23   #10
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larson1122 View Post
OP, I don't own a DPMS, but from what I have seen they seem to have a higher percentage of problem guns leaving the factory than some of the more reputable companies. Sure, most DPMS owners are probably happy and haven't had problems, but it definitely seems like the risk of getting a problem gun are higher with DPMS.
Thank you, that is EXACTLY the point of my post.

-Stooxie
Old 01-26-2013, 19:37   #11
bushhogg

Stooxie... like your Quote at bottom of post...THANKS
bushhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 19:50   #12
Cole125
Silver Membership

DPMS are the some of the worst AR15s on the market, period. Even in this panic buy state, you can do better.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 20:59   #13
tampashooters
Shellback

I have had two, and both have been flawless. Even with the cheap tulammo.

They are a great buy, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. People are brand whores when it comes to AR-15's. It's all about mine is better than yours and mine cost more because I have a prettier logo.

Mine shoots just as well as any others out there.

In a few years when the rotation is complete and Remington rolled out their contract M4's to the military because Colt lost it, you'll see the Colt crowd migrating to Remington and bashing everything else as well. http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...ith-remington/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by tampashooters; 01-26-2013 at 21:02..
tampashooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:02   #14
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampashooters View Post
I have had two, and both have been flawless. Even with the cheap tulammo.

They are a great buy, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. People are brand whores when it comes to AR-15's. It's all about mine is better than yours and mine cost more because I have a prettier logo.

Mine shoots just as well as any others out there.

In a few years when the rotation is complete and Remington rolled out their contract M4's to the military because Colt lost it, you'll see the Colt crowd migrating to Remington and bashing everything else as well.
Right, because anyone that says anything bad about DPMS only does so out of blind allegiance to Colt. It couldn't possibly be because they have personally had DPMS parts or rifles fail on them due to poor quality, right?
Old 01-26-2013, 21:04   #15
tampashooters
Shellback

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Right, because anyone that says anything bad about DPMS only does so out of blind allegiance to Colt. It couldn't possibly be because they have personally had DPMS parts or rifles fail on them due to poor quality, right?
Low likelihood that a majority of those folks ever owned a DPMS (Most had "Friends").. But, I can tell you that EVERY brand has it's problems.

Old 01-26-2013, 21:06   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampashooters View Post
Low likelihood that a majority of those folks ever owned a DPMS (Most had "Friends").. But, I can tell you that EVERY brand has it's problems.
Yep, every brand has the occasional screw-up, but some of them have those screw-ups far more often than others. There's a good reason why you hear more stories of problems with Bushmaster, Del-Ton, DPMS, etc. than with Colt, BCM, DD or LMT.
Old 01-26-2013, 21:10   #17
tampashooters
Shellback

Quote:
Yep, every brand has the occasional screw-up, but some of them have those screw-ups far more often than others. There's a good reason why you hear more stories of problems with Bushmaster, Del-Ton, DPMS, etc. than with Colt, BCM, DD or LMT.
Keep telling yourself that.....

Old 01-26-2013, 21:27   #18
DrtyHarry

I have over 1000 rounds in my DPMS SASS (.308)...and it shoots like a dream. One of my better investments. Don't know about the .223 Panther though...

DH
Old 01-26-2013, 21:46   #19
larson1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
Thank you, that is EXACTLY the point of my post.

-Stooxie
This is not a difficult concept. He asked for thoughts and feelings on DPMS, but for whatever reason you chose to talk about "Colt operators" instead. Believe it or not, people can have opinions about something without currently owning one, and I do not currently own one for the reasons outlined in this thread.
Old 01-26-2013, 21:48   #20
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallelbg View Post
Do a search on here and online- you'll soon discover the brands that show up most frequently as having issues. THAT is how I started my research before I built my AR.

Quote:
Almost exactly my findings except I'd add Olympic in with Bushmaster, Del-Ton, DPMS, etc.

Makes me appreciate guys like you, Murph, etc. taking time to share your knowledge with us AR noobs.

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto

Last edited by michael_b; 01-26-2013 at 21:49..
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote