Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 17:21   #41
tampashooters
Shellback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Colt. What you fail to understand is that people don't buy Colts for accuracy, they buy them for reliablitiy into the thousands and thousands of rounds.
Colt fanboys are just like Gun Control advocates... You can't tell them anything. Yet, they just keep talking and talking and talking, defending their cause until the end... then making up more stuff to fight about.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

tampashooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 17:29   #42
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
Well, Collim1, your SWAT team is clearly not down with the 411 cuz if they were your DPMS rifles would know to be malfunctioning at the proper rate. They just missed the memo from Colt Industries.

Be prepared for all the operators to tell you that Colt is the only true rifle!

-Stooxie
Yeah, alot of the guys were not happy about them cheaping out and getting the DPMS vs the Colts they normally issue. They only bought the DPMS once and have since started buying Colt again.

That being said, I have heard of no issues from the DPMS and they are still being used.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 17:55   #43
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy b View Post
to some people on here if your rifle is not a colt it's a pos.i have a dpms oracle. it has been 100% relible with mostly reloads. and it's accurate. i also have a dpms stainless 24'' upper. it will shoot 1\2'' groups at 200 yards. but since it's not a colt all that doesn' t matter.
Name some names. I haven't seen any posters who have said or even eluded to this.

I think the issue being discussed is reliability. Bench resting a gun really pulls no weight in the world of reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
The M16A4 put in your hands 1. Probably had thousands of rounds put through it before you and 2.) was part of an organized maintenance program carried out by a trained company level armorer. Uncle Sam didn't just drop by Colt Defense or FN, picked you up an A4 hand you a box and said "here go do some shootin'."

Sent from my ADR6350
Organized maintenance program? LOL. You don't know much about basic directly following 9-11-01.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:02   #44
bushhogg

All those rifles mentioned and nothing about Arma Lite...
bushhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:31   #45
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
55 nosler balistic tip. 27.0 748. averages 3250. once fired sorted brass. i have a bushmaster h-bar that will shoot that same load around 1 1\4 at 200 yards. sightron 6x24 on dpms. nikon 6x18 on bush. i have been shooting & reloading a lot of years & know how to get the best out of my guns. if you colt guys don't want to believe that a non colt can do that i could care less.
It has nothing to do with it being DPMS, and everything to do with you claiming .25MOA groups at 200 yards with an AR-15. While it CAN be done, .223/5.56 rifles (edit: specifically, AR15s) capable of this are fairly few and far between. Same thing goes for the shooters.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 01-27-2013 at 18:58..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:41   #46
2.0tspeed

Black Rifle Forum
2.0tspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:46   #47
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampashooters View Post
Colt fanboys are just like Gun Control advocates... You can't tell them anything. Yet, they just keep talking and talking and talking, defending their cause until the end... then making up more stuff to fight about.
Old 01-27-2013, 19:03   #48
jpwalnuthill

Dpms

I own two of the Oracles and both have run flawlessly for thousands of rounds. One will shoot .750 groups at 100 yds. The other only 1.25 inches at 100 yds. That is with reloads. Have a good friend with a colt and don't see much difference in quality. Can buy a lot of powder, bullets and primers for difference in price. Just take care of it and will last you a long time.
jpwalnuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 19:06   #49
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Name some names. I haven't seen any posters who have said or even eluded to this.

I think the issue being discussed is reliability. Bench resting a gun really pulls no weight in the world of reliability.

Organized maintenance program? LOL. You don't know much about basic directly following 9-11-01.
What has changed since 1997? Certainly at least one PMCS is conducted between cycles by the company armorer.

Last edited by LA_357SIG; 01-27-2013 at 19:07..
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 19:16   #50
c01
Crazy Eye

Have an Oracle. No problems and I always run it wet. Around 700 rnds through gun. No steel yet although that is going to change soon.

D
c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 21:41   #51
DrtyHarry

I own both Colt and DPMS....and I am not a AR expert by any means. But as long as I keep them both cleaned and lubricated, they both run just fine. And finding a complete DPMS for $600-$700 is NOT going to happen in today's climate. You might find a used DPMS upper for that price, but not a complete rifle....judging from the prices I have seen at gun shows, GB, etc.

DH
Old 01-27-2013, 22:12   #52
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
What has changed since 1997? Certainly at least one PMCS is conducted between cycles by the company armorer.
I can't answer that question. I didn't go through basic in '97.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33   #53
billy b

i have no problem with colts. i'm just tired of hearing how everything but colts are junk. think my dpms can't shoot.one fall day, i was hunting groundhogs here in ohio. it was a .windless day. i carry a laser range finder with me when i hunt. i hit 7 out of 8 from 350 to 400 yards. 223 is very wind sensitive thats why i can't do that all the time. just like i can't shoot i\2'' groups all the time. but i'v done it on more than one occasion. at that time i was shooting 50 noslers behind max load of h335. i'm not your average shooter. at one time i had custom built rifle in 6mm-284 it would shoot 95 noslers at 3600. we used to shoot groundhogs at 600 yards & beyond. that was before rangefinders. it was up to your spotter to see where your bullets were hiting so you could make adjustments.
billy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14   #54
bigmoney890

Quote:
i have no problem with colts. i'm just tired of hearing how everything but colts are junk. think my dpms can't shoot.one fall day, i was hunting groundhogs here in ohio. it was a .windless day. i carry a laser range finder with me when i hunt. i hit 7 out of 8 from 350 to 400 yards. 223 is very wind sensitive thats why i can't do that all the time. just like i can't shoot i\2'' groups all the time. but i'v done it on more than one occasion. at that time i was shooting 50 noslers behind max load of h335. i'm not your average shooter. at one time i had custom built rifle in 6mm-284 it would shoot 95 noslers at 3600. we used to shoot groundhogs at 600 yards & beyond. that was before rangefinders. it was up to your spotter to see where your bullets were hiting so you could make adjustments.
Holy punctuation, Batman. It'd be a lot easier to take you serious if you could at least create a proper sentence.

OP, obviously there is some heated opinions on DPMS rifles. If you'd like to take a chance with your $650, go for it, and let us know how it's preformed after a few thousand rounds. If it makes you feel any better, DPMS has a great warranty in the event you might have a problem. Odds are you'll never see a problem. Personally, I'd rather go for something that is agreed upon to be high quality for a few hundred dollars more.

bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43   #55
mjkeat

Quote:
And the rest of us are tired of hearing some guy, that can't seem to push himself away from the bench, run his mouth about how he's tired of hearing people say if it isn't a Colt it's junk. Then when asked to produce supporting evidence they can't.

Shooting vermin is no indication of reliability.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48   #56
Walk Soft

I have a DPMS Sportical that I have had for nine years and have shot 600 flawless rounds through.I recently bought a Colt 6920 and at about round 220 I had a light strike.I took the round and put it in the DPMS and it fired.At this point if I had to pick one and go it'd be the DPMS.
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27   #57
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampashooters View Post
Sadly, they are not sharing any knowledge, and doing a great disservice to noobs. All they are doing is passing along internet chatter, instead of real ownership experience.
I would disagree. I spent about 6 months researching ARs, reading tons of forums- not just here, looking up reviews, weapon journals, talking to dealers, etc. I scoured everything I could find.

You quickly figure out who is full of stuffing and who seems to have reliable and accurate knowledge. I know whose opinions to take seriously and who not to.

But, that's because I did my homework. I've never seen anyone i listen to claim to be an expert or claim to be infallible- just freely share advice opinions based on their own experience and research.

Based on my cousins bf's experience and discussing it with him, I felt I was best going my AR route and avoiding DPMS among others.

I don't take anyone's word as gospel but I do listen to some more than others. Then look for other evidence to support or does not support that opinion. There a lot of good advice in these forums and a lot of bad.

Due to this attitude, I ended up with a wonderful first AR- simple, clean, sleek, that I assembled myself and couldn't be happier with. Functions flawlessly. Every time I take it to the range people stop and ask me about it- it's nothing fancy, no tacticool accessories, just a nice range plinker and hopefully a reliable SHTF weapon.

Black Rifle Forum

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto

Last edited by michael_b; 01-28-2013 at 13:09..
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32   #58
Made in Austria

That's a beautiful rifle! I am also a fan of simple and clean looking AR's. Did you assemble the upper yourself, or was it a complete upper?
Made in Austria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59   #59
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
And the rest of us are tired of hearing some guy, that can't seem to push himself away from the bench, run his mouth about how he's tired of hearing people say if it isn't a Colt it's junk. Then when asked to produce supporting evidence they can't.

Shooting vermin is no indication of reliability.
Your wasting your time dude. This forum is in cardiac arrest, don't believe me? Try to give someone solid advice about getting the most out of their money on a build. See what happens. Now I know why a lot of people do not bother to post here anymore.

Last edited by bmoore; 01-28-2013 at 12:59..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 13:07   #60
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
That's a beautiful rifle! I am also a fan of simple and clean looking AR's. Did you assemble the upper yourself, or was it a complete upper?
Thank you! No, not for my first build. I bought a complete upper and swapped hand guards.

I seriously considered it, but seemed smarter to build a lower out and get a complete upper. Use this one as my reference rifle and then assemble the upper on my next build.

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto

Last edited by michael_b; 01-28-2013 at 13:08..
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote