Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 00:26   #1
spcwes

Marlin Guide Guns

Hey all, been wanting to get into another GG and wanted a bit more info. The website only shows the 450 and 45-70. Did they ever make it in any other calibers? Wanting a new hard hitting handy rifle to send to Grizzly Custom for some work but not sure of those calibers.

I guess if I could find them reasonable on price it might be ok. So any info on ammo and or caliber selection would be good. Thanks in advance.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 00:34   #2
up1911fan

I don't believe the Guide Gun has been offered in any other calibers.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13   #3
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

In order to get the full value and potential of a guide gun, you really have to load your own ammo. Guide guns have had Ballard rifling for a long time. This makes them well suited to lead bullets, round balls, and other specialties that can only be gotten if you load your own.

Further, if you're going to practice with a Guide Gun, you really need to be able to make your own low-intensity ammo. Otherwise, you'll be purple from head to toe.

Get a 45-70 and plan to load for it. America's premier cartridge for 140 years!

1895 Marlins (of which, the GG is one) have been made in 45-70, 450 Marlin, 38-55, and .444 Marlin. The best of those calibers is the Government.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:19   #4
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I have one in 45-70. It makes for a good camp gun, but is otherwise not overly noteworthy in its factory state.

I had fantasy of a hard hitting, accurate, fast handling brush gun, but after I bought it, I find it to be rather dissapointing in most of those caragorys. Though I will say it does hit fairly well. But it's performance on bear did not was not sufficent to keep it in my stable as one of the go to rifles.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37   #5
BenjiEDF

I have never heard of a "guide gun" until Ruger (one of my favorite companies, yay) came out with a new series of them. Apologies that this isn't a Marlin reply, but is this "guide gun" just a large caliber carbine with iron sights or is there something else I don't know? Seems very similar to the Jeff Cooper "Scout Rifle" design.

I have a Ruger m77 Gunsite Scout that I'm biased in favor of...

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42   #6
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

The scout rifle, and the guide gun, don't really have much in common, save both being fairly low popularity niche rifles that have never really caught on.

The guide gun , is a big bore, short barreled lever action. Designed to be handy in the field, and easily pack able. Marketed mostly to guys who go were large, generally unfriendly animals tend to be in close proximity.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 01-27-2013, 01:48   #7
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Yup.

Kind of like S&W produced the 3913 because the market for the DeVel ASP was big enough......

The Guide Gun is the factory built non-takedown equivalent of the Wild West Co-Pilot (which does take down into 2 pieces) for use by bush pilots in Alaska and others needing a large-pissed-off-animalstopper in a small package.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28   #8
byf43
NRA Life Member

1895G in .45-70 w/XS Leverrail, Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32mm, using Warne QD rings.

General Firearms Forum

Shown w/ Federal 300 gr JHP. (These were the first batch of cartridges through this rifle. I now load 405 gr LWNGC "boolits" at about 1660 fps.
General Firearms Forum

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39   #9
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
In order to get the full value and potential of a guide gun, you really have to load your own ammo. Guide guns have had Ballard rifling for a long time. This makes them well suited to lead bullets, round balls, and other specialties that can only be gotten if you load your own.

Further, if you're going to practice with a Guide Gun, you really need to be able to make your own low-intensity ammo. Otherwise, you'll be purple from head to toe.

1895 Marlins (of which, the GG is one) have been made in 45-70, 450 Marlin, 38-55, and .444 Marlin. The best of those calibers is the Government.
We are set to load for it. And to be honest the appeal of the Gov is fine to me, much more than the 444, 450 and especially the 38-55. But I will be shooting it a bit and will be packing it a lot and ammo cost is what would concern me most.

The rifle will be sent to http://www.grizzlycustom.com/ for some work. Wanting to get it smoothed out and have the package they do on the lever and trigger. Not sure what else but this is one of those projects I may put into family heirloom status.

Would like to start in a stainless model and have it brushed down to a low sheen satin but keep it as slick as possible and might have some engraving done. But again, this will be a work horse even with the custom features. I had thought about getting a .44 mag marlin and having grizzly make it into a guild gun by reducing barrel and magazine length just because I carry a 44 mag a good bit. Thank you guys for posting!
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43   #10
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I have one in 45-70. It makes for a good camp gun, but is otherwise not overly noteworthy in its factory state.

I had fantasy of a hard hitting, accurate, fast handling brush gun, but after I bought it, I find it to be rather dissapointing in most of those caragorys. Though I will say it does hit fairly well. But it's performance on bear did not was not sufficent to keep it in my stable as one of the go to rifles.
Looking at some of the Garrrett hammerhead testing with the 45-70 GG it showed some of the deepest penetration gains of almost any round offered and they even tested some of the nitro express rounds. It was pretty sick what it was capable of doing.

I doubt very seriously I will be using anything that heavy and will most likely use much lighter bullets but am not opposed to using cast bullets exclusively if I go 45-70.

Edited to add: Do any of you fellas know if porting the barrel has an effect on recoil? I have shot them before and the recoil never really bothered me but might be fine to have it reduced if it actually works.

Last edited by spcwes; 01-27-2013 at 09:50..
Old 01-27-2013, 10:23   #11
DeLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
Looking at some of the Garrrett hammerhead testing with the 45-70 GG it showed some of the deepest penetration gains of almost any round offered and they even tested some of the nitro express rounds. It was pretty sick what it was capable of doing.

I doubt very seriously I will be using anything that heavy and will most likely use much lighter bullets but am not opposed to using cast bullets exclusively if I go 45-70.

Edited to add: Do any of you fellas know if porting the barrel has an effect on recoil? I have shot them before and the recoil never really bothered me but might be fine to have it reduced if it actually works.
I have had a 1895G & a 1895G that was factory ported. Porting doesnt effect recoil but tames the muzzle rise slightly. If you want something to help with recoil get a limbsaver to put on the butt stock-
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42   #12
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
I have never heard of a "guide gun" until Ruger (one of my favorite companies, yay) came out with a new series of them. Apologies that this isn't a Marlin reply, but is this "guide gun" just a large caliber carbine with iron sights or is there something else I don't know? Seems very similar to the Jeff Cooper "Scout Rifle" design.

I have a Ruger m77 Gunsite Scout that I'm biased in favor of...
Huge fan of that rifle as well Ben, getting on possibly this month to mess around with.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:39   #13
danattherock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post

What he said. I also would think against dropping a ton of money into mods. Marlin got this one right and there is little room for improvement. Thought about it long and hard. For me, it was Clemments Custom Guns. I first sent the gun to Steve's Gunz for an action job. Best money I have even spent on a gun, slick as hot butter and affordable too.

Then I sanded down the forearm to my liking and applied several light coats of spray on truck bed lining to the buttstock and forearm. This has held up 100% over the last 8 or so years. If it will hold up to be dropped on gravel bars, rained on for 2 weeks at a time, etc.. it should hold up to most anything you can dish at it.

I use this gun for brown bear protection on remote float trips in Alaska, mostly arctic floats and some in SW (Bristol Bay). The gun is right at home in a canoe, raft, camp chair, etc.. I added XS Sights which I highly recommend for fast target acquisition. I carry hard cast Buffalo Bore to Alaska. Got some dies recently and will be reloading my own.

The 45-70 is an incredible cartridge. The Marlin Guide Gun is an equally impressive firearm. Lots more to read in the Marlin Owners gun forum. At that site, check out the big bore sub forum. Tons of info awaits you there.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

-Dan
Old 01-27-2013, 13:18   #14
TacticalTshirtsREP

I have a Marlin Co-Pilot conversion. It also have the 457WW chambering. So you can load HOT 45-70, 457WW or single-shot .410.

Just a thought.

TTR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Shooting guns and having fun.
TacticalTshirtsREP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 13:23   #15
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post

Garret, has a vested interest in selling his loads. But remember, not all media is the same, and the only one that really matters is flesh and bone. If the 45-70 were some wiz bang stopper, it would have caught on in Africa instead of the much larger NE rounds, and mid-large bore magnums.

A 338-40 cal bolt gun will hit a bear, or other large animal with much more authority than even a stout loaded 45-70.

I like my guide gun for what it is, but if I'm getting up close and personal with something big hairy and dangerous, I'm going to reach right past it, for something better.

For the same level of recoil as a garret loaded guide gun, I can throw a 300 grain 338 round, or a 350 grain 375 round, or for just a touch more, a 400 grain 416 Rigby, and deliver much more effect on a bear.

Old 01-27-2013, 13:33   #16
TacticalTshirtsREP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Garret, has a vested interest in selling his loads. But remember, not all media is the same, and the only one that really matters is flesh and bone. If the 45-70 were some wiz bang stopper, it would have caught on in Africa instead of the much larger NE rounds, and mid-large bore magnums.

A 338-40 cal bolt gun will hit a bear, or other large animal with much more authority than even a stout loaded 45-70.

I like my guide gun for what it is, but if I'm getting up close and personal with something big hairy and dangerous, I'm going to reach right past it, for something better.

For the same level of recoil as a garret loaded guide gun, I can throw a 300 grain 338 round, or a 350 grain 375 round, or for just a touch more, a 400 grain 416 Rigby, and deliver much more effect on a bear.
I hear the Blaser R8's are quite popular in AK for the very reasons you state. Do you find that to be correct as well?

TTR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Shooting guns and having fun.
TacticalTshirtsREP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 13:39   #17
Bill Keith

I want to thank Danattherock for the wonderful photos of canoe/backcountry and the fine fish foto. Living with leukemia and daily chemo for it from now on makes me sad for the adventures I can no longer do - I'm just too wore out and tired from side-effects and anemia. I'm sure happy to be alive. I'm rattled by the death of my good friend Kevin Kennedy in Austin 1/24/13. He would have been 60 this Monday and was a powerful lifetime ally.
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 13:47   #18
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

They also make the Outfitter, which is the Guide Gun chambered in .444 which is a very capable cartiridge. I load my own ammo with better bullets then the factory stuff. It used to be marketed with a 265 grain slug that was harder and had a heavier jacket than the 240. Seems all I see on the shelves now is the 240 which is a pistol bullet. I buy the 265's slugs and load my own. I use the same bullet in my .44 mag revolvers also with 23 grains of WW296.
I have an older .444 that I had the barrel cut down many years ago to 18.5 inches. It was several years before Marlin marketed the guide gun. Very handy on the 4 wheeler. Also have an unaltered 24" .45-70. I like the older Marlins without the extra safety. You could pick up a used one in .45-70 or .444 and have the barrel shortened and still be money ahead.
Old 01-27-2013, 13:53   #19
danattherock

Most all great white hunters use more gun than they need. A 45-70 with Garrett or Buffalo Bore will go through any animal in North America. Living in arctic NW Alaska for two years was enlightening. More large game in Alaska is taken with 223 than you would imagine. And 7.62 x 54 takes it's fair share in the older Mosin Nagants as well. Ask an Inupiat what they killed their moose or caribou with and I assure you that they will rarely say 300, 375, etc... It will be somewhere between a 223 and 270 most the time. If buying a more powerful rifle than a 45-70 makes you feel good, go for it. Hell, I have a 50 BMG, ain't like I am judging anyone. I am guilty as well and bought a 500 S&W, 45-70 guide gun, 50 BMG, etc.. because I wanted them. I am not saying don't buy more gun than you need. But the truth is, the amount of over penetration has little to do with anything in real world applications.
Old 01-27-2013, 13:55   #20
danattherock

Bill, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. If you have an interest in Alaska, check out Outdoorsdirectory. It is the largest Alaska outdoor forum. Tons of sub-forums on hunting, fishing, photography, bush planes, gold prospecting, hiking, etc...