Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 17:56   #1
Ranger1759

Cracked grip frame

Hey all, I have a gen 1 or 2 G22 now to sure...it used to be my duty weapon, I was able to buy it when we got new Glocks.....anyway I haven't had it out in a while and noticed yesterday that I had a crack in the grip/mag well at the bottom...I don't know how or when it happened, was never dropped and I was issued it NIB in 1998....

My question....is this something Glock will take care of, or should I just try and order a new lower and be done with it?

Thanks
G22- Gen 2.5/ G23- Gen 3/ G27 & G19- Gen 4
Ranger1759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:58   #2
NucPhysics

Call Glock and just tell them what you told us. They will most likely replace the frame and it won't cost you anything, not even the shipping.

Additional note: Fair chance they will offer a replacement gun. I do not know their ability on replacing an old frame depending on how early the generation is.

Last edited by NucPhysics; 01-27-2013 at 19:03..
NucPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 19:01   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

If you tell them it is your old duty weapon you have a really good bargaining position.

I have no doubt they will replace it for nothing. They know you will tell your buddies and that's good publicity for them.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 19:03   #4
kodiakpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1759 View Post
Hey all, I have a gen 1 or 2 G22 now to sure...it used to be my duty weapon, I was able to buy it when we got new Glocks.....anyway I haven't had it out in a while and noticed yesterday that I had a crack in the grip/mag well at the bottom...I don't know how or when it happened, was never dropped and I was issued it NIB in 1998....

My question....is this something Glock will take care of, or should I just try and order a new lower and be done with it?

Thanks
Was it by the hole for a lanyard?
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 19:07   #5
Chicago2VP71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucPhysics View Post
Call Glock and just tell them what you told us. They will most likely replace the frame and it won't cost you anything, not even the shipping.

Additional note: Fair chance they will offer a replacement gun. I do not know their ability on replacing an old frame depending on how early the generation is.
This is not true. In most cases Glock requires you to pay for the inbound shipping on warranty repairs. It's even stated on their website.
Old 01-27-2013, 19:31   #6
NucPhysics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2VP71 View Post
This is not true. In most cases Glock requires you to pay for the inbound shipping on warranty repairs. It's even stated on their website.
If the CS person perceives the crack from the description to not be at the fault of the owner, there is a good chance Glock will pay the shipping both ways. If the gun had been dropped or run over or whatever, then fair chance the owner would be on the hook for paying for the shipping it to them.
NucPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:11   #7
Chicago2VP71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucPhysics View Post
If the CS person perceives the crack from the description to not be at the fault of the owner, there is a good chance Glock will pay the shipping both ways. If the gun had been dropped or run over or whatever, then fair chance the owner would be on the hook for paying for the shipping it to them.
Maybe if you escalate and escalate and escalate and they get tired of hearing you complain they'll budge and pay for the shipping OTHERWISE:

http://us.glock.com/documents/GLOCK%20Warranty.pdf

Firearms may be shipped from a licensed firearms dealer or via UPS or FEDEX. When using UPS or FEDEX, firearms must be taken to a shipper Distribution Center (UPS/FEDEX “Stores” do not normally handle firearms.) Customer is responsible for inbound shipping charges.

As much as I like my Glock their turn around time and customer serivce in general is horrible. I had a warranty issue with my Springfield XD9 once and Springfield e-mailed me a shipping label within three hours, had the gun back to me in 10 days, and included a free magazine for the troubles. Glock has a long way to go in that aspect.

Last edited by Chicago2VP71; 01-28-2013 at 14:12..
Chicago2VP71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:30   #8
sciolist

One of the rails on my 34's frame sheared off, and caused the slide to crack. I had fully-built replacements for both in my hands in less than 2 weeks. Glock paid shipping both ways. This was 3 weeks ago, so probably accurate to say they were pretty busy.

I made the initial call on a Friday, and had a call back from Glock CS Monday AM. They offered me either replacement slide and frame or a complete pistol, but said the complete gun might take longer, I think just because they were unable to confirm whether they had one assembled.

There was no discussion of reloads, round count, or any other mitigating circumstances.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:57   #9
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:

Thanks
I would call them for sure. Be aware they may only be able to replace it with a Gen 3 frame.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:10   #10
BMiracletx

Quote:
Hey all, I have a gen 1 or 2 G22 now to sure...
Best of my knowledge they never made a Gen 1 22. I believe the Gen 1s were only 17s.

But, the easy way to tell... Gen 1 Glocks have the exact same texturing ALL of the way around the grip. Gen 2 had different texturing on the sides of the grip vs the frontstrap and backstrap (think Gen 3 without the finger grooves).
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:20   #11
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

Minus all the banter the OP still needs to call Smyrna. There he will be greeted with EXACTLY what will happen.

Also to the OP, G22's did not come as GEN 1 as a rule, like all rules there are exceptions, I have heard of ultra rare Gen1 G22's.
Old 01-28-2013, 21:31   #12
Chicago2VP71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciolist View Post
One of the rails on my 34's frame sheared off, and caused the slide to crack. I had fully-built replacements for both in my hands in less than 2 weeks. Glock paid shipping both ways. This was 3 weeks ago, so probably accurate to say they were pretty busy.

I made the initial call on a Friday, and had a call back from Glock CS Monday AM. They offered me either replacement slide and frame or a complete pistol, but said the complete gun might take longer, I think just because they were unable to confirm whether they had one assembled.

There was no discussion of reloads, round count, or any other mitigating circumstances.
I don't understand the roller coaster type service they provide. On one hand I've talked to 10 people with warranty issues and Glock told them to pay for the shipping and referred them to their warranty page where it states "customer is responsible for inbound shipping". Then I've talked to others who say Glock offered to pay for the shipping without even having to ask.

Not sure how a company has policies that state one thing but they do the other for certain people. If that's the case why don't they change their policy to WE PAY INBOUND AND OUTBOUND shipping. Frustrates the hell out of me with no conformity.
Old 01-28-2013, 21:44   #13
Ranger1759

Thanks for the advise! I'll give Glock a call tomorrow....is there a specific number I need for warranty issues?
And being that I received it NIB in 1998 I just guessed on the Gen...it most likely is a Gen 2....

on another note, will it be a problem that I'm the secondary owner, being that I bought it from my Dept?
G22- Gen 2.5/ G23- Gen 3/ G27 & G19- Gen 4
Ranger1759 is offline   Reply With Quote