Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 00:48   #1
SuckMyGlockk

Glock Factory Steel Sights Install

The front install is self-explanatory by the rear install of the factory steel sights....is there any filing/sanding that needs to be done. before i start punching it in are there any precautions i must take before degreasing? i dont want to damage my frame.
SuckMyGlockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00   #2
gooffeyguy

There is a tool to use to install these. Looks like a little press or C-clamp that goes around the slide and fits the sides of the sight to push it in. I wouldn't use a punch. Either get the sight tool or take it to a gun shop and have them do it.
gooffeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28   #3
SuckMyGlockk

you can punch them in if you have a brass or aluminum punch, something softer than the frame or steel. it will not damage them. im curious as to if you need to file the steel factory sights before you would even use the tool you are talking about. or does glock already size them to fit their slides???? thanks for the reply though
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42   #4
snatiep

I installed the Glock steel sights on my 26 and 19. I used a wood dowel to tap out the plastic rear sight, and the wood dowel to tap in the steel rear sight.

I had to do no filing or fitting of the steel sight, just tapped it in. Very easy.

Last edited by snatiep; 01-28-2013 at 09:42..
snatiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09   #5
SuckMyGlockk

did you use any loctite? i would think you dont on the rear sight, and you do on the front if you plan on never changing them. I don't think you really need to use loctite. i rarely shoot. maybe 100 rounds a month.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11   #6
SuckMyGlockk

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatiep View Post
I installed the Glock steel sights on my 26 and 19. I used a wood dowel to tap out the plastic rear sight, and the wood dowel to tap in the steel rear sight.

I had to do no filing or fitting of the steel sight, just tapped it in. Very easy.

did you use an loctite? i would think just a snug tighting of the front sight would be fine and no loctite on the rear since it is steel. i do not want to damage these sights and want them to be interchangeable if i ever choose to shell out 120 for decent TFO's
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57   #7
snatiep

I didn't put any Loctite on the front or the rear steel sights. I shoot quite a bit and have not had a problem with the front sight coming loose.

Last edited by snatiep; 01-28-2013 at 10:57..
snatiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05   #8
mglindo

Be sure to cycle the slide after the front sight install. Some people had problems where the pistol would not fully return to full battery position because the front sight nut was slightly too long.

Last edited by mglindo; 01-28-2013 at 11:05.. Reason: spelling
mglindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42   #9
Dave.1

I've got Glock Steel sights on all my Glock pistols.

One is staked on in front, but when I installed the others in the front I used Blue Loctite. Put it on the screw and let it dry before installing.

The rear is pretty tight and doesn't require loctite. Use a sight pusher if you have access. If not you can use a drift like the Brownells brass/nylon one.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...x#.ULE9KIdpcgk

I have one that I flattened the side on so it fits in the dovetail.
Sights, Optics and Lasers

Dave
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote