Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40   #1
Virginia Glock Man

Virginia Glock Man

I have a Glock 20SF and have been trying to work up a load with plated bullets. I have been told not to push these bullets to hard as they are still soft and skip the Glock rifleing. If so, I would like a reduced load to stabilize the bullet while still functioning the gun . Any thoughts
Virginia Glock Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18   #2
BMiracletx

What powder and bullet size will you be using? I shoot 155 plated bullets with 6.0 grs of 231, 6.2 grs Universal, 6.5 grs, Unique, and 10.0 grs Bluedot. These loads all work good in my stock barrel and Lone Wolf barrel and cycle just fine with the stock spring.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:17   #3
Virginia Glock Man

180 grain with Blue Dot
Virginia Glock Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:34   #4
OhioGlockMan

Virginia Glock Man- I have a lot of experience with shooting Rainier plated at hot high pressures. Main thing that causes plated bullets to fail is in the crimping process, as long as you just put enough crimp in to get rid of the bell from flaring the cases so that they will chamber and no more they will be fine. I've been discussed this with the tech guy at Rainier, he said they are fine at high velocities as long as crimp is light enough to not disrupt plating. In my experience its like a 1/32 turn on the lee factory crimp die, and thats it. In fact with the lee factory crimp die you dont even need to turn it at all, just running the cartridge up in the die with no crimp is enough to get rid of bell and make the cartridge chamber smoothly. Look at the data for accurate arms, they have data for these bullets in the magnum handgun rounds moving in high 1300's, they even got a 10mm load with the rainier 155 moving 1300+. My favorite loads with the 155 flat points are 7.4 grains unique for a light, mid 1200's, 8 grains unique for low 1300's, 9 grains power pistol for high 1300's, and 9.5 power pistol for scorching hot 1500 fps. For the 180 flat points I like 8 grains power pistol for light low 1200 fps, 8.5 power pistol for 1300 fps, and 10.5 grains blue dot as an alternate 1300 fps loading. I always use winchester WLP primers and everything I just wrote was clocked in my 6 inch barrel, figure 100 fps less for 4.6 inch barrel
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote