SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:40   #1
Smooth_squeeze

45 Super for self defense/CCW?

Hello Mas,

Thank you for all the great advice you dispense here, much appreciated!

I've heard of some fellows who load their Glock 21 up with 45 Super ammo, for self defense/CCW purposes.

What is your opinion of that? Do you think 45 Super is a good choice vs. 45 ACP for a home defense gun?

Thanks,

Smooth Squeeze
Smooth_squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 17:05   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Much as I like the .45 Super, its recoil is pretty snappy. If some in the household authorized to use it are less than expert in terms of recoil control, might be better to stay with .45 ACP. Never did hear of an actual shooting with that caliber.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 21:04   #3
Smooth_squeeze

Thanks, Mas. Is it so snappy as to be really difficult to control? Is one handed shooting with it especially difficult?
Old 01-30-2013, 23:51   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I hate to sound like a weasel, bro, but recoil is one of the most subjective elements in the whole world of shooting.

If this helps:

Shooting the same size guns (let's say S&W traditional double action autos) I found the full power 10mm to be in the same balllpark for recoil control as +P .45 ACP, and the .45 Super "snappier" than either.You really don't know what the given gun/load combination will be capable of in terms of accuracy vis-a-vis speed for YOU, until YOU try each for yourself.

With both of us dealing with a classic YMMV here,
Mas
Old 01-31-2013, 04:56   #5
Smooth_squeeze

Thank you, Mas. You've given me info that is very helpful. And you're right about how this is somewhat subjective.

Here's my take on this whole difficult subject; I'd like to ask you for your opinion on it, as I value it highly, and by the way, I don't consider your prior response to be weaselly in any way (but let it be said that I got you to at least acknowledge that it might be such!! I never expected that! Some of my friends may chuckle a bit.)

I have two 45 ACPs, a Ruger P90, DA/SA, with the aluminum frame, that weighs 34 oz unloaded, and an FN Herstal FNP-45, with the polymer frame that is 32.4 oz unloaded.

Due to design differences, they shoot very differently, and have very different recoil profiles, with the FNP shooting way softer than the Ruger when shooting the same ammo. Go figure.

Typically I shoot Federal or Remington 230 gr. ball from them, primarily the FNP. What I have loaded in my 5 - 15 round mags for it, is the Remington UMC 230gr. JHP. This ammo shoots to the same point of impact as the ball ammo, and is quite close to the ball in terms of energy and recoil. I like it that it shoots basically the same, as far as I can tell. Some will say it is underpowered for a self-defense application, and that I should use specialized SD rounds. But consistency in practice to me is of greater benefit than having a much more powerful round in the gun for a quite unlikely need to employ it in a life-threatening situation.

I've watched several videos on Youtube of testers shooting various 45 ACP rounds into gel, or water, or 4 layer denim over water, or water jugs, and so on. What I've seen in terms of recovered slugs shot into the various media are some very similar things in terms of expansion of the slugs. What surprised me (well, not really) was the way the Remington 230 gr. UMC JHPs performed. No way in hades I'd want to be popped with those suckers.

Would you be so kind as to comment on this?

And also, given my comments above regarding consistency of shooting with the ball ammo vs. the JHP stuff, and how I like that, do you think I should instead load hotter stuff into my guns? As one friend of mine, an Army Ranger sniper who is also a Glock fan says, it's all about bullet placement.

Thank you, sir, for all the great good you've done; you've helped me in ways you can't imagine.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:03   #6
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Well, I'm pretty comfortable carrying 230 grain JHP .45 ACP, and experienced folks have considered themselves well armed with the caliber for more than a century. As noted, if you feel you want more power, the price will be training time to keep your balance of accuracy and speed.

Best,
Mas
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52   #7
Smooth_squeeze

Thank you, sir.