Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 15:40   #1
WVShooer

Glock 23 Accuracy

I've read these forums for a few years now, but this is my first post. I have a Glock 23 Gen 4 and love everything about it. I went to the range with a friend last week and shot his Kimber 1911. I was much more accurate with his gun than my own. Will practice make me more proficient with my Glock, or will the 1911 always shoot more accurate?
WVShooer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:48   #2
Markel

I shoot both frequently and I believe the 1911 is more accurate "in hand" vs being intrinsically more accurate. Both, in a machine rest, would likely be comparable, at least at self defense distances. But the heavier steel frame, better trigger, and overall ergonomics of the 1911 make it easier to shoot.

Having said that one can, with practice, shoot as well with a Glock. It just takes longer to get there.
Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:49   #3
SouthernBoyVA

Practice, good trigger discipline, and a lot of dry firing in between range time. If you have the standard Glock sights, you might want to research some after market alternatives. But don't give up. The Glock can be quite an accurate pistol in experienced hands.
Old 01-28-2013, 15:54   #4
WVShooer

I bought my Glock new in February 2011. In March of the same year I got Warren Night sights installed. The total cost of the sights plus install was $145. I'm not "bad" with the Glock, but I was noticeably better with the 1911. I know the Glock is a great handgun and reliability has never been an issue. I don't plan to sell or trade it, I was just curious how long it really takes to become more proficient.
WVShooer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 16:00   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVShooer View Post
I've read these forums for a few years now, but this is my first post. I have a Glock 23 Gen 4 and love everything about it. I went to the range with a friend last week and shot his Kimber 1911. I was much more accurate with his gun than my own. Will practice make me more proficient with my Glock, or will the 1911 always shoot more accurate?
Practice will help a little, but learning to shoot, then practicing the correct technique will help a lot. My guess, from the post, is that you have no training - the 1911 is a heavy gun with a very short, light trigger that always shoots single action - it is the most forgiving of bad technique of just about any semi-auto. The Glock is entirely different and requires a different trigger control technique to minimize movement off target as you squeeze the trigger. Just shooting more won't help much unless you learn and use a valid technique when you practice. There is more than 1 way to do it, but you aren't likely to get it right without a real instructor to teach you.

Again, I'm giving advice in General Glocking, before I looked at which forum this thread was in, so be prepared for a lot of BS from newbs who will tell you to learn from youtube, like a real mall ninja.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 16:03   #6
Markel

Quote:
I was just curious how long it really takes to become more proficient.
One key issue for me was learning how to shoot a Glock from the trigger reset position. It takes lots if practice, but it will get you a lot closer to the results you get from a 1911's single action trigger.
Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:16   #7
CynicX

Next time you go shooting only focus on trigger control. Straight back with the pad of your finger. Focus as hard as you can. You'll immediately notice you'll group tighter, all you can do from there is practice until its second nature.

If all you do is go shoot the gun you will never ever get better. All you'll be doing is practicing how not to shoot.

I started on a 1911 then got a G17...I was ok with good trigger control practice I got pretty good. Then I got a G32 with a 23 barrel. I was terrrriiibbbblllee. It took me a long time to even come close to shooting it as well as my 1911's. Once you master a Glock trigger (if that's possible) you'll shoot every firearm better.
Old 01-28-2013, 18:35   #8
kaech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Practice will help a little, but learning to shoot, then practicing the correct technique will help a lot. My guess, from the post, is that you have no training - the 1911 is a heavy gun with a very short, light trigger that always shoots single action - it is the most forgiving of bad technique of just about any semi-auto. The Glock is entirely different and requires a different trigger control technique to minimize movement off target as you squeeze the trigger. Just shooting more won't help much unless you learn and use a valid technique when you practice. There is more than 1 way to do it, but you aren't likely to get it right without a real instructor to teach you.

Again, I'm giving advice in General Glocking, before I looked at which forum this thread was in, so be prepared for a lot of BS from newbs who will tell you to learn from youtube, like a real mall ninja.
^^ QFT......Quoted for truth
Old 01-28-2013, 19:14   #9
bac1023

I shoot much better with a 1911, especially some of my better models.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:39   #10
pmer

Quote:
Yep, your comparing single action to striker fired. Have you tried any of the back straps yet. I tried some dry firing with and without the backstraps and the long strap seemed the best for me. Went out to try it and my groups were much better.

The long strap on a G19 adds about a .100'' length compared to a gen 3 G26.

Last edited by pmer; 01-29-2013 at 08:15..
pmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:10   #11
chemboy

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that the 40 SW is not the most accurate of service pistol calibers-in fact, it has the reputation for being the least accurate. If you want to compare apples to apples, try a G21 or 30 vs your buddies 1911.

Current Glocks: 19,26,20SF,29SF, 21Gen4,23Gen4,32Gen4
AA 22lr conversion kit for G20.
chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:31   #12
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I don't think it has anything to do with the .40 itself. The recoil characteristic of the .40 might throw people off that aren't used to it, but I shoot my .40 cal Glocks the same as my .45 Glock, the only difference in accuracy being how I'm shooting that particular day. Some of the tightest groups I've ever shot were with a .40.

To the OP, I would suggest learning to shoot from trigger reset. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire like crazy. Come straight back on the trigger but don't use too much finger nor too little, use just the right amount. During dry firing while aiming get to where the sights don't budge when the trigger breaks. Shooting from trigger reset is going to help give it a more single action feel.
Old 01-29-2013, 14:50   #13
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the .40 itself. The recoil characteristic of the .40 might throw people off that aren't used to it, but I shoot my .40 cal Glocks the same as my .45 Glock, the only difference in accuracy being how I'm shooting that particular day. Some of the tightest groups I've ever shot were with a .40.
'

Agreed... I have more accurate guns, but I would put my G35 wup against most 1911's... I have shot some crazy small groups with my G35... and my G22 for that matter.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 14:56   #14
Scrappy

Kinda comparing apples to oranges.
If it were a Glock in 45 version you would have a much better chance, as they are much more accurate!
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 18:40   #15
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
I bought my Glock new in February 2011. In March of the same year I got Warren Night sights installed. The total cost of the sights plus install was $145. I'm not "bad" with the Glock, but I was noticeably better with the 1911. I know the Glock is a great handgun and reliability has never been an issue. I don't plan to sell or trade it, I was just curious how long it really takes to become more proficient.
I have modified all but one of my Glocks and my primary carry gun is one of my gen3 G23's. The trigger work I have done plus the sights I have on this gun make if quite accurate in my hands. Like any gun, Glock has its unique side and getting use to it is the big hurtle to overcome. Stick with it and both you and your gun will come around.
Old 01-29-2013, 22:07   #16
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

I just had too...

A Kimber is what you show your friends.
A Glock is what you show your enemies.
Old 01-29-2013, 22:12   #17
Meanie5470

Send a message via AIM to Meanie5470
I shoot better with a 1911. That being said if I had only one gun to live with for the rest of my life it would still be be a Glock. All I hear in that first post is a reason to buy another gun!
Meanie5470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 22:16   #18
bobtheelf

Posted this in another thread - 10 shots at about 10 yards. I guess I could be more accurate with another gun, but I don't have a lot of experience with other guns, and none with a 1911 recently. I think it's OK though.
Attached Thumbnails
General Glocking - Click for larger version  

Last edited by bobtheelf; 01-29-2013 at 22:19..
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 22:35   #19
bennie1986

Im new to glocks and have only taken my gen 3 23 out once so far. I can shoot my glock way better than my 1911's.

Last edited by bennie1986; 01-29-2013 at 22:36..
bennie1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29   #20
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
Im new to glocks and have only taken my gen 3 23 out once so far. I can shoot my glock way better than my 1911's.
You see, you just spoke a sacrilege. A Glock shooting better than a 1911.

/sarcasm off

Seriously, you just proved a universal truth. What works best for YOU is what matters, not what others say or claim is best.