Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 18:04   #1
pennlineman

My wife got a new car today, so...

I thought it would only be fair for me to buy a new gun. Fair deal, right guys? So I picked up this minty S&W 4506.

General Firearms Forum

The 4506 is one of those guns I've been wanting for quite some time. I just never got around to it. A stainless steel slide and frame, this gun is built like a tank. The double action on the pistol is the best of any of my 3rd generation S&W's. It also came complete with two of those evil eight round magazines. It looks like my Beretta 8045 will have some competition. Up until now it has been my favorite .45.

The 2nd .45 ACP 3rd generation S&W I've picked up in a week. The other was my CS45.

General Firearms Forum

I started the year off with a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Not a bad start despite the trouble brewing. Until things improve I'll keep writing letters and attending these.

General Firearms Forum
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:20   #2
SigFTW

Congrats on a great find, the older S&W autos are one of my favorites, built like tanks and runs like a champ! I want one of each caliber

I picked up a 915 this month!
Here's a pic of my S&W 1006 and 915

General Firearms Forum
Old 01-28-2013, 18:27   #3
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Congrats!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:31   #4
RyanBDawg

Love those style S&Ws!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:37   #5
pennlineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
Congrats!!
Thanks!

SigFTW, very nice! So far I have a 3904 and 908 both in 9mm.

General Firearms Forum

A 2nd generation 559.

General Firearms Forum

And a 1066.

General Firearms Forum

Show them off guys, my thread is your thread.
Old 01-28-2013, 18:40   #6
collim1
Shower Time!

Very nice, I love the 4 digit S&W series gun. Very underrated guns IMO.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:21   #7
countrygun

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

I have got to get one in a bigger caliber than 9mm
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:50   #8
LEOson

I'm a big fan of the older S&W autos. My dad's got an original model 39. That is a thing of beauty. God knows how many rounds I've put through it. Runs like a champ. It's without a doubt my favorite pistol to shoot.
LEOson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 20:53   #9
pennlineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I have got to get one in a bigger caliber than 9mm
Very nice, especially the LS. Nothing wrong with the 9mm that's for sure. In the pistols it along with the .45 ACP are my two favorites. In revolvers I like .38/.357 and .45 ACP or Colt equally.

I'm kind of on a .45 kick lately. My last 7 handguns are .45's of some sort. 2 semi's in .45 ACP, 2 Revolvers in .454 Casull and 3 revolvers in .45ACP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOson View Post
I'm a big fan of the older S&W autos. My dad's got an original model 39. That is a thing of beauty. God knows how many rounds I've put through it. Runs like a champ. It's without a doubt my favorite pistol to shoot.
The 39 is one I want to get, a true classic. The LGS had a 39-2. It looks like it was soaked in a tub of cold blue. I'll hold for a nicer one. These older S&W's are underrated IMO.
Old 01-28-2013, 20:58   #10
LEOson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
Very nice, especially the LS. Nothing wrong with the 9mm that's for sure. In the pistols it along with the .45 ACP are my two favorites. In revolvers I like .38/.357 and .45 ACP or Colt equally.

I'm kind of on a .45 kick lately. My last 7 handguns are .45's of some sort. 2 semi's in .45 ACP, 2 Revolvers in .454 Casull and 3 revolvers in .45ACP.

The 39 is one I want to get, a true classic. The LGS had a 39-2. It looks like it was soaked in a tub of cold blue. I'll hold for a nicer one. These older S&W's are underrated IMO.
Actually, I just dug it out. It's a 39-2. It's just an all around great gun. It's a little heavy, but nothing too bad. And the recoil is nothing. The only thing I don't like is that it's a gigantic pain to break down. Half the time the guide rod ends up sticking out past the end of the barrell and I have to break it back down again and put it back together.
LEOson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:00   #11
ithaca_deerslayer

I always thought those Chief's Specials were cool looking

Old 01-28-2013, 21:41   #12
bac1023

Congrats in a great pistol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:28   #13
countrygun

Quote:

I threw a hair up a couple of weeks ago and bid on one of the early Smiths in .45 overnight it went above what I thought it was worth for its condition. I've still got an eye out for one. I don't know why, I am swimming in .45s....but none of them are a Smith
Old 01-28-2013, 22:59   #14
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I threw a hair up a couple of weeks ago and bid on one of the early Smiths in .45 overnight it went above what I thought it was worth for its condition. I've still got an eye out for one. I don't know why, I am swimming in .45s....but none of them are a Smith
Country, guys like you and me don't need a why. Why we don't even need a need. Want is good enough because we are Americans. It is our right.
Old 01-28-2013, 23:45   #15
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
Country, guys like you and me don't need a why. Why we don't even need a need. Want is good enough because we are Americans. It is our right.
That, and when you have a wife who has brought home 3 1911 variants, an XDs,and several .357s in the last 2 years ,
you can bloody well buy what ever trips your trigger (pardon the pun).

(heck, between you and me. She was in town when she heard about the Sandy Hook incident on the radio, so she headed to a big box store and grabbed a case of 230 fmj)
Old 01-29-2013, 00:13   #16
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Nice!

Now I must sit here and stare at this picture of a beautifully crafted piece of American workmanship and reminisce of a time past when Smith and Wesson actually knew how to build a semi-auto.

Those are days long gone.

Last edited by NEOH212; 01-29-2013 at 00:13..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49   #17
SigFTW

Quote:
Thanks!

SigFTW, very nice! So far I have a 3904 and 908 both in 9mm.

General Firearms Forum

A 2nd generation 559.

General Firearms Forum

And a 1066.

General Firearms Forum

Show them off guys, my thread is your thread.
Very nice collection!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:55   #18
SigFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Nice!
Now I must sit here and stare at this picture of a beautifully crafted piece of American workmanship and reminisce of a time past when Smith and Wesson actually knew how to build a semi-auto.
I would love for S&W to bring back their older auto line, but that's more of a pipe dream.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24   #19
pennlineman

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
I always thought those Chief's Specials were cool looking

Yeah, I feel in love with that little gun the moment I laid eyes on it. Something about a sub compact .45 is very cool in my book.

I passed the need part of guns a long time ago. About 7 years ago I finally secured a good job and met a woman who supports my firearm related activity. The only problem is the lack of time to enjoy them right now. I look at it this way. When I retire I'll have enough toys to keep me amused for the duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFTW View Post
I would love for S&W to bring back their older auto line, but that's more of a pipe dream.
I do miss the days of wood and steel. The guns were a functional work of art.

Last edited by pennlineman; 01-29-2013 at 10:26..
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I only have one SW auto: 6906.

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice here but I found the pistol design to be just OK. Too much slack on SA mode, not smooth enough on DA mode, front sight is too wide and filled up the rear notch too much for good sight picture.

It's a well built sucker, and the police trade-in have the prices down really low, which is a good thing. But frankly, there are much better guns.

General Firearms Forum