GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15   #1
Lonestar 48
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Lonestar 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,916
Should there be a warranty on doctor's services?

A lot of things have a warranty or a money back guarantee; why not one for doctor's services?

A couple of years ago, I had a heart attack while I was working out. The doctor put a stent in my heart. The next weekend, I was working out again, with the doctor's blessing, and I had another heart attack. Turns out the stent was messed up. A different doc went in to fix that one. The original doc saw what the second doc did and wanted to fix his mistakes. He accidentally severed an artery which led to open heart surgery and a bypass. The bypass failed which led to another heart attack, which led to some more work.

It all ended up costing a lot of money, which between me and the insurance company was all paid. Friends wanted me to sue but I am of the nature that folks make mistakes. Lately though, I have been thinking that between the docs and the hospital, I, and my insurance company shouldn't have had to pay for their services after the first stent. Like it should have been on them to pay for their mistakes.

Anyone else feel this way or have a similar experience?
__________________

Lonestar 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25   #2
2bgop
Senior Member
 
2bgop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the SEC
Posts: 6,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar 48 View Post
A lot of things have a warranty or a money back guarantee; why not one for doctor's services?

A couple of years ago, I had a heart attack while I was working out. The doctor put a stent in my heart. The next weekend, I was working out again, with the doctor's blessing, and I had another heart attack. Turns out the stent was messed up. A different doc went in to fix that one. The original doc saw what the second doc did and wanted to fix his mistakes. He accidentally severed an artery which led to open heart surgery and a bypass. The bypass failed which led to another heart attack, which led to some more work.

It all ended up costing a lot of money, which between me and the insurance company was all paid. Friends wanted me to sue but I am of the nature that folks make mistakes. Lately though, I have been thinking that between the docs and the hospital, I, and my insurance company shouldn't have had to pay for their services after the first stent. Like it should have been on them to pay for their mistakes.

Anyone else feel this way or have a similar experience?
You have a recourse available now, just open the yellow pages to Attorney. There will be 100s willing to listen.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27   #3
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,549
I was a high end designer and builder of fine furniture all my life .
Point being , I was held to a higher standard than the medical proffession, No mercy , no flaws , perfection every time.

On the other hand , I,ve been to six different doctors to finally find out what my problem was. They didn't fix anything and yes , I had to pay them . Makes one wander ?

The problem turned out quite serious but after three surgeries ,
I'm ok now . I should not have payed the others .......!
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28   #4
jollygreen
Senior Member
 
jollygreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 919
There is a warranty. It's called malpractice insurance. And you should definitely sue, assuming you can document all you just described.

I can pretty much guarantee that the quack who did the first procedure is well acquainted with the process by now.
__________________
These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly green giants, walking the Earth with guns.
jollygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:29   #5
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar 48 View Post
Lately though, I have been thinking that between the docs and the hospital, I, and my insurance company shouldn't have had to pay for their services after the first stent. Like it should have been on them to pay for their mistakes.
If you genuinely feel that this is the way the system "should" work (in the sense that the system would work better if it was this way) the solution is simple. Find some investors and some doctors, and start a medical practice or a hospital that works this way.

If you're right, you'll be more successful than other hospitals and everyone will switch to your model. If you're wrong, you'll go out of business.
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30   #6
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I was a high end designer and builder of fine furniture all my life .
Point being , I was held to a higher standard than the medical proffession
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:31   #7
Obi Wan
Senior Member
 
Obi Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 'Round the bend...
Posts: 2,141
I completely agree with you. And include dentists while we're at.

My wife had her gall bladder removed several years ago. She's 5'2", 100 lbs, and in good physical shape. Shortly after the surgery, she developed a hernia in the incision area. The doctor's reply was that "they never put a suture in a vertical incision of the muscle since it should grow closed". Well, that may be fine on fat people, but apparently not on trim women who don't have muscle depth. After he then went back in to install a mesh screen over the hole - which has subsequently developed a fair amount of painful scar tissue in the area - he had the nerve to send me a bill for his services. Keep in mind that he was already paid over $950 by the insurance company, but wanted another few hundred from us. I told him we wouldn't pay it because he should have put a suture in the original incision and all of this wouldn't have happened. He replied that it was "standard procedure to NOT use a suture to close the cut", and if I didn't pay his bill he wouldn't see my wife any longer as her doctor. I told him she already said he was never going to touch her again and he'd be lucky if my lawyer didn't respond to him next.

Yes, IMO, there should be a 'Warranty' for professional services and judgment.
__________________
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:32   #8
ray9898
Senior Member
 
ray9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,808


Doctors don't live in a world of black and white, there are millions of variables. Many times there simply is no 100% right answer.

To compare a Doctor treating a heart issue like you would a mechanic swapping a car battery is the wrong train of thought.

Last edited by ray9898; 11-29-2012 at 10:35..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35   #9
nmk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I was a high end designer and builder of fine furniture all my life .
Point being , I was held to a higher standard than the medical proffession, No mercy , no flaws , perfection every time.
Do you honestly believe this is a fair comparison?
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36   #10
Gregg702
Gold Membership
 
 
Gregg702's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 7,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
Do you honestly believe this is a fair comparison?
Sure, repairing someone's heart should be as foolproof as making an easy chair.
__________________
Shooting guns in the following calibers: .22lr, 38spl, 9x19mm, .357 magnum, .45ACP, 5.7x28mm, 5.56x45mm, 6.8SPC, .308 Winchester, 12 Gauge

Rimfire Club Member #702

Black Rifle Club Member #702
Gregg702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45   #11
Lonestar 48
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Lonestar 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
If you genuinely feel that this is the way the system "should" work (in the sense that the system would work better if it was this way) the solution is simple. Find some investors and some doctors, and start a medical practice or a hospital that works this way.

If you're right, you'll be more successful than other hospitals and everyone will switch to your model. If you're wrong, you'll go out of business.
Certainly I could try your suggestion, but I think you are making this issue more black and white than it is. As 2bgop pointed out, there are lots of lawyers who would like a crack at cases like this, but that ends up costing more money than a "warranty" service would cost. The car industry has figured out a way to keep their customers safe by issuing recalls; bad product, they pay to fix it. That seems to work well for many consumer goods; why not medicine?

The cardiologist, with whom I've become friends, told me that he had never done that before, and it rattled him like no other case. As I mentioned earlier, a lawsuit solution was never an option for me. We all make mistakes.
__________________

Lonestar 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47   #12
Psychman
NRA Life Member
 
Psychman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 6,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiGregg View Post
Sure, repairing someone's heart should be as foolproof as making an easy chair.
good one
__________________
NRA Life Member

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48   #13
GRD67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Woodinville, Wa. U.S.A.
Posts: 553
I think doctors should not be paid until they cure you, no cure no pay.
GRD67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51   #14
Gun Shark
Senior Member
 
Gun Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,152
Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark


Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD67 View Post
I think doctors should not be paid until they cure you, no cure no pay.
Then I guess oncologists should work for free then. Or what about all the other afflictions that can't be cured yet.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55   #15
Altaris
Senior Member
 
Altaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 12,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD67 View Post
I think doctors should not be paid until they cure you, no cure no pay.
I would hate to be a doctor dealing with cancer then.
__________________
To Alcohol !
The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems
-Homer Simpson-
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:07   #16
GRD67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Woodinville, Wa. U.S.A.
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Shark View Post
Then I guess oncologists should work for free then. Or what about all the other afflictions that can't be cured yet.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I wonder why there is no cure yet, I was going to a Chinese herb doctor here in the Seattle area who was curing all the diseases that modern medicine says there is no cure for. Such as cancers modern medicine they told the people there was no cure for, Lupus, Lou Gerig disease, MD, ect. His name was Hen Sen Chin and you didn't have to sell your house to pay him.
GRD67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12   #17
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD67 View Post
I wonder why there is no cure yet, I was going to a Chinese herb doctor here in the Seattle area who was curing all the diseases that modern medicine says there is no cure for.
Good luck with that.

Quote:
Such as cancers modern medicine they told the people there was no cure for, Lupus, Lou Gerig disease, MD, ect. His name was Hen Sen Chin and you didn't have to sell your house to pay him.
I have a really nice bridge I'd like to sell you.
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21   #18
GRD67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Woodinville, Wa. U.S.A.
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Good luck with that.



I have a really nice bridge I'd like to sell you.
You can try to sell all the bridges you want, I'm just telling you what I experienced and saw. Many of Hen Sen's patients here in the Seattle area were Doctors who also brought their families to see him.

Last edited by GRD67; 11-29-2012 at 11:25..
GRD67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25   #19
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 30,607


Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD67 View Post
You can try to sell all the bridges you want, I just telling you what I experienced and saw. Many of Hen Sen's patient here in the Seattle area were Doctors who also brought their families to see him.
You dont know what you are seeing. That is the problem.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:29   #20
ronin_the_great
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 469
When it comes down to it, they call it "practicing" medicine for a reason. Not a whole lot of recourse other than to sue if there was a clear sign of malice or incompetence. You pays your money and takes your chances.
ronin_the_great is online now   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:00.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 847
239 Members
608 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31