GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 19:07   #1
Dizzy Beaver

Which parts on my Bushmaster are most likely to break?

I owned a 20" Bushmaster with an A2 upper in the late 90s. It shot everything I put through it and was a great rifle. I ended up selling it and bought a new 16" Bushmaster with A3 upper in early 2009.

Back in the 90s when I did my research, Bushmaster seemed like a quality gun, especially for the price. I neglected to do my research when buying the most recent 16", assuming (my fault) that Bushmaster was one of the better brands. Now that I'm doing some reading, I realize that there are a lot of brands that are much better quality out there.

Now, I really like my Bushmaster - it shoots great and has been reliable, though I only have about 500 rounds through it and none of that is 5.56 (all .223 soft point). From what I've read, under heavy use the internal parts have a tendency to break as the rifle just isn't mil spec.

My questions are:

1.) What parts are most likely to break, especially if I do a lot of shooting of 5.56? I'll probably want to get some spares of these parts.
2.) Are there parts that should be replaced up front because they're just not all that reliable? Any "fragile" parts that might break from a lot of use or if it gets dropped?

Thank you for any help you can provide. :-)
Dizzy Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 20:40   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/172...pair-kit-ar-15

Chances are you will never need any of it. I am not a big fan of Freedom Group, and have good reason not to be. I have personally experienced their lousy customer service twice.

However, I have shot quite a few Bushmasters and never seen a problem with them.

Edited to add:

Sorry, didn't realize it was out of stock when I posted the link, but you get the idea atleast.

Last edited by collim1; 01-28-2013 at 20:41..
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 20:42   #3
WinterWizard

Regardless of the "quality" of your rifle or the mil-spec-ness of it's materials, one should keep a few things on hand. And extra bolt (complete with extractor, extractor spring and gas rings), a cam pin (bolt is probably the most common part to break). And perhaps a spare spring kit, including at least one firing pin retainer spring (more likely to get lost than break).

Don't fall for the hype that if your gun is not one of the "top-tier" ARs, that it will crack into a thousand pieces under heavy use or only last half as long. Pure horsecrap. If you have 500 trouble-free rounds through your rifle, then it sounds like you got a good one and you can rest easier.

Good luck finding any spare parts right now, though. If you hadn't noticed, the sporting rifle world is upside down right now and getting parts, complete guns or ammunition is about as easy as finding gold. Good luck.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:08   #4
bmoore

I would keep some good quality mags around, buy a full auto BCG like BCM, LMT or Daniel defense(challenging right now). Keep your bushy BCG as a backup, maybe drop an H buffer in it and keep on rocking. Or just shoot it, but trying to buy AR parts after they break is not a good idea right now. If you can, have some things on hand to fix/replace.

Last edited by bmoore; 01-28-2013 at 21:08..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:39   #5
yellowhand

When it gets back to normal,
All of the parts that go into the bolt, gas rings wear out, ejector and springs break, wear out, a gas key and NEW screws, complete spring kit, complete pin kit, they get lost in the carpet or grass, and a complete lower parts kit and a buffer.
Should keep your weapon running for 10,000 plus rounds, enjoy.
Or just buy an AK and carry no spares
Old 01-28-2013, 21:43   #6
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

You may find some good info in this thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/360169_.html&page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Rogers
What we see go down at class falls into these catagories.

Wear items
Specifically, extractors and extractor springs.
Bolt rings
Buffer springs
Think MEAL
Magazines- serviceable mags
Extractor- serviceable
Ammunition- quality ammo, not garbage
Lube- generous lubrication

If you have that, most of the guns- even some of the very low end guns- might do well for a class or more.

On the other hand, some of the companies make absolutely great guns. They will last a long time.
This is more along the lines of surviving a carbine class, but it may or may not give you some ideas on dealing with heavy usage.
Old 01-28-2013, 21:44   #7
Dizzy Beaver

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a spare bolt for my previous Bushy, but I fear that I left it inside the stock when I sold it (bangs head on desk). I'll keep an eye out for a BCM or DD BCG. They're understandably both out of stock at the moment.
Dizzy Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:01   #8
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Rather than worrying about parts breaking you should worry about losing parts. I saw WAY more guns in the Army go down for lost parts than for parts breaking (though that happens as well) Think small springs, pins and detentes... Easy and relatively inexpensive to stock spares....

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:12   #9
DrtyHarry

Replace everything but the magazine. LOL.

Honestly, I have a few friends with Bushmasters....I don't own one. But, from what I see and what they tell me...as long as you keep it clean and LUBRICATED, I wouldn't replace anything. If you want more out of the rifle, buy a new upper from Noveske, LaRue, Knights, DD, etc...IMHO.

DH
Old 01-28-2013, 23:44   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Whenever the madness settle down I'd grab a new bolt. Carpenter 158, HPT/MPI. Check the staking on the gas key and castle nut, and stake them yourself if necessary. Run the bolt wet. Get a set of all pins and a set of all springs, gas rings, cam pin, firing pin. This is as much for losing parts, or damaging something when tinkering with it, as anything. Extractor and spring as mentioned above.

If you've only put 500 rounds through it in 4 years then unless you plan to change the way you use it I doubt you'll have much to worry about.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 00:32   #11
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I've had a fair number of Bushmasters and other AR's over the years and I haven't ever had a major failure of any kind. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through those rifles.

Parts breakage is rare and yes, even with how lousy some tote Bushmasters to be.

I've had gas rings wear out and I had a extractor break (on a Colt of all things!) but I haven't had any major failures that weren't readily repairable.

I've lost more parts than I've ever had break. All the AR's I've had were far more durable and reliable than what some people claim they should be, and not all of them were Colts!

The OP would do well to get a small parts kit and a spare complete bolt to keep on hand. A couple extra sets of gas rings and extractor springs would hurt either. Lastly, a few spare magazine springs and followers are probably a good idea.

It takes a long time to wear out a mag spring but it does happen if you use that mag a lot.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55   #12
Cole125
Silver Membership

If your rifle has worked for 500 rounds that means you got a good one and should be fine.

When they are available again, I would replace the bolt carrier group with a BCM and keep the old one as a spare. Having a quality bolt carrier will lesson the chances of failure.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04   #13
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Might want to look into these:

http://www.riflestock.com/store/Search.do

Essentials Pars Kits-AR15/16

Choate Machine & Tool is a site advertiser.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 23:40   #14
TunaFisherman
Halibut Hunter

Break? Maybe wear out or loosen up. Buy a lower parts kit, and a spare spring kit. I keep spare Bolts and firing pins. Never replaced anything yet on my rifles but a couple dropped and lost springs.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:00   #15
wespen125

I had my magazine catch break on my bushmaster. Slammed home the mag, gave it a tug and out it came along with the mag catch. Called bushmaster and had a new one within a couple days. So ya might think about that as well.
wespen125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37   #16
DAIadvisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaFisherman View Post
Break? Maybe wear out or loosen up. Buy a lower parts kit, and a spare spring kit. I keep spare Bolts and firing pins. Never replaced anything yet on my rifles but a couple dropped and lost springs.
I had my Bushy for over 10 years and nothing ever broke. Had a key on a bolt carrier loosen up once, and that was the extent of the issues. Otherwise a perfect rifle. Manufacturer will always have spares, but if you're concerned get a spare lower parts kit. Maybe another firing pin and some springs. That's the only thing I can see going bad.
DAIadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I seem to remember a test Luckyguner did with 4 Bushmaster carbines running steel vs. brass ammo....It appears that nothing broke in 10K rounds, but one gun needed to have the barrel tightened.

As far as parts breakage, that doesn't seem to be an issue for most people. Yes, there is the odd occasion or event, but if you ran a questionnaire and everyone was honest....most people just don't shoot enough and the parts are good enough if they fit to run for as long as the shooter wants them to. The durability of firearms is one of the issues with the industry. If they broke like cars every couple years...there would be a lot more manufacturers and dealers.

The best backup to a rifle is another rifle.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14   #18
conpro

All of them. The best back up is an AK.

Last edited by conpro; 01-30-2013 at 10:17..
conpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50   #19
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIadvisor View Post
I had my Bushy for over 10 years and nothing ever broke. Had a key on a bolt carrier loosen up once, and that was the extent of the issues. Otherwise a perfect rifle. Manufacturer will always have spares, but if you're concerned get a spare lower parts kit. Maybe another firing pin and some springs. That's the only thing I can see going bad.
How many rounds?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 13:01   #20
jay1975
Ultra Master

Just keep a spare extractor pin, firing pin retaining pin and keep her clean. No worries about breaking, just losing small parts.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire