SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:49   #1
BRoberts243

Traveling to Chicago

I have to take a trip for a few days to CommiCago, where they only allow criminals the means to defend themselves. is there a way for me to travel with my gun, to at least keep in my hotel room?

Can I keep it separate from mags, empty the mags, put the lock cable through the chamber/mag well, etc and be able to travel with it to the hotel? I have to go for work, otherwise I wouldn't consider even going to their crime filled city.

I know that it doesn't make a difference, but just for background, I do have a carry permit here in indiana.

thanks guys.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53   #2
lyodbraun

Carry Always Never Tell !!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01   #3
Jakestir

I am going to school in chicago right now. You can transport your gun in the console of you vehicle unloaded. It is considered a container.

There is s mag cap ban in chicago and cook county. No more than 10. The rest of the state is good. Also you need a license to own a pistol in the city. Not sure how that works when you are visiting.

It really is to bad. The rest of the state is pretty gun friendly.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Jakestir; 03-25-2013 at 12:57..
Old 03-25-2013, 08:31   #4
isp2605

IL law states the firearm has to be unloaded and in a case to be in compliance with all laws.
A case is defined by statute as being specifically made for a firearm and capable of some method of closure such as zipper, tie, buckle, etc. It does not have to have a lock.
Mags can be loaded and be in the same case as the firearm but mags do not have to be in a case. Loaded mags cannot be inserted in the firearm. Empty mags can be in the firearm.
The info jakestir gave is incomplete. The console is only considered a container as it applies to the Unlawful Use of a Weapon statute. However, there is still another statute in effect requiring the firearm to be in a specific case.
Chicago has Home Rule and has passed ordinances more restrictive than state law. Pretty much it says you cannot possess a handgun within the city limits unless it's registered. FOPA would not apply since Chicago is your destination.
Here's a copy of Chicago's ordinances.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ordinances/chicago.pdf
Old 03-25-2013, 08:37   #5
Darkangel1846

I wouldn't take a gun into Ill. at all as they are all AH's, in fact I wouldn't go to that POS commie town. cops go out of their way to ******* with you. Carry a baseball bat, baseball and glove in your back seat, or a wooden cain....good stick weapons.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:42   #6
BRoberts243

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2605 View Post
IL law states the firearm has to be unloaded and in a case to be in compliance with all laws.
A case is defined by statute as being specifically made for a firearm and capable of some method of closure such as zipper, tie, buckle, etc. It does not have to have a lock.
Mags can be loaded and be in the same case as the firearm but mags do not have to be in a case. Loaded mags cannot be inserted in the firearm. Empty mags can be in the firearm.
The info jakestir gave is incomplete. The console is only considered a container as it applies to the Unlawful Use of a Weapon statute. However, there is still another statute in effect requiring the firearm to be in a specific case.
Chicago has Home Rule and has passed ordinances more restrictive than state law. Pretty much it says you cannot possess a handgun within the city limits unless it's registered. FOPA would not apply since Chicago is your destination.
Here's a copy of Chicago's ordinances.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ordinances/chicago.pdf
thanks for the info guys

so basically i could travel with it in the manner you prescribed in Illinois, but since I'm staying in city limits I wouldn't be able to have it there without registering it?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46   #7
isp2605

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts243 View Post
thanks for the info guys
so basically i could travel with it in the manner you prescribed in Illinois, but since I'm staying in city limits I wouldn't be able to have it there without registering it?
Correct.
Here are a couple of more links for you with info:
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Last edited by isp2605; 03-25-2013 at 08:51..
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51   #8
Jakestir

Quote:
The info jakestir gave is incomplete. The console is only considered a container as it applies to the Unlawful Use of a Weapon statute. However, there is still another statute in effect requiring the firearm to be in a specific case.[/url]
Thanks for the correction. You learn something new every day.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:53   #9
BRoberts243

Quote:
Correct.
How do people live there?
The best thing I've seen about their city is unique places to eat. We had 50 restaurants within 2 miles of our hotel last time we went.

So I have to choose to be a criminal, or be disarmed to travel into the most crime filled city in America... well guess I have a decision to make.

thanks ISP, uve been very helpful
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54   #10
Will Beararms

Unless you enjoy rough sexual contact with multiple aggressive males, terrible food, cramped living quarters and spending thousands on attorneys, leave your handgun at home. I don't know how else to put it. I would not go anywhere near Chicago with a firearm much less a handgun. You are guilty until proven innocent. Chicago is gone. Avoid it like you avoid scabies.

Last edited by Will Beararms; 03-25-2013 at 08:55..
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08   #11
Jakestir

Quote:
The best thing I've seen about their city is unique places to eat. We had 50 restaurants within 2 miles of our hotel last time we went.

So I have to choose to be a criminal, or be disarmed to travel into the most crime filled city in America... well guess I have a decision to make.

It sucks. I can't wait to move back "down state." I put that in the biggest quotes possible. Anything south of I 80 is considered southern IL by these idiots. Gun are very common "down there."

Old 03-25-2013, 09:13   #12
LEO/Dad
Navy Veteran

My Dad taught me to...............

Carry you wallet in your front pocket, and keep your hand over it. Expect the unexpected. Pick pockets work in groups. If your lucky, this is the way it will happen, otherwise shot dead for your shoes.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39   #13
Will Beararms

I have to go there once or so a year----hate it. A Bud of mine was shot for his shoes and anything else of value outside of the Hard Rock Cafe. He cursed the animal who did it while he was doing it. Thank God he survived and is at home in Texas where he can carry a handgun to stop such terror before it develops into something horrible.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24   #14
isp2605

Quote:
I'm 250 miles south of there. Spent enough time in that area working cases. Have no plans to ever return.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:53   #15
M 7

Quote:
That's about the most the city has to offer these days unless you head towards the south end (Blue Island, Hyde Park, etc.) where all sorts of free-range pharmaceutical entrepreneurs ply their trade.

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is the case. On the (mercifully) few times that I've had to go there, I was forced to make the same decision (I'll leave that to your imagination). Fortunately, all ended well.

Regardless of which option you select, caution is the watchword of the trip.

Good luck.

Last edited by M 7; 03-25-2013 at 10:59..
Old 03-25-2013, 11:24   #16
Will Beararms

EXTREME caution; I repeat EXTREME caution. Chicago is the test tube of ultimate liberalism---misery for everyone except the political elite.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02   #17
Chicago2VP71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakestir View Post
I am going to school in chicago right now. You can transport your gun in the console of you vehicle unloaded. It is considered a container.

There is s mag cap ban in chicago and cook count. No more than 10. The rest of the state is good. Also you need a license to own a pistol in the city. Not sure how that works when you are visiting.

It really is to bad. The rest of the state is pretty gun friendly.

False. Cook County does not have a magazine capacity law on the books. The city of Chicago has it's own ordinances but I live in Cook County in a suburb outside of Chicago and it's completely legal to own 30 round AR magazines and large capacity handgun magazines.

If you don't believe me feel free to verify this with the Illinois State Police/Cook County Sheriff. I believe the term is called home rule where each town/city in the county makes their own ordinances regarding these things. For example in Mount Prospect I believe you can't have anything over 15 rounds.

Last edited by Chicago2VP71; 03-25-2013 at 12:04..
Old 03-25-2013, 12:19   #18
BRoberts243

how far does the city limits of chicago go, and where do suburbs start?

Does Wheeling, IL still have the same rules as Chicago? I assumed it was just a section of Chicago because it looks like it's all connected to me but if Wheeling doesn't have the same rules as Chicago I may be alright.

Do any of you guys with personal experience/knowledge of Chicago know if Wheeling, IL has the same ordinances? I will be west of 294, near the Chicago Executive Airport.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25   #19
Chicago2VP71

Wheeling is a Suburb of Chicago and as far as I know (lived in Illinois for 25 years) there are no special firearm restrictions in Wheeling. As long as you keep your pistol unloaded in it's case locked with the ammo separate you'll be fine. That's how I've been getting my guns to the range for years.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28   #20
BRoberts243

that would be awesome and a huge relief.

is there someone i can contact to be sure? like a local police station of Wheeling?

Closed Thread