SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 19:02   #21
ArmoryDoc

DAIadvisor, you forgot reason #3.

People know our govt. is hosing us daily and prepping to deliver BOHICA big-time. DHS and the .mil are training in cities now for whatever evil they are going to rain on us and people want to be armed.
Old 01-29-2013, 19:06   #22
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-nineteen View Post
Economics 101
page 1
Supply & Demand
Exactly...

When prices are high supply will follow. ALWAYS

There's such a fundamental lack of economic education on display here at times that it no longer shocks me.

Doesn't mean supply ramps up overnight. There are many obstacles to that. Doesn't mean all manufacturers can ramp up supply. It takes CAPITAL to increase production. There are many scenarios where increased sales can lead to a decrease in cash flow and reduced ability to expand. This often bites small business owners in the butt when they enjoy early success with their product line...they can find themselves with an empty bank account! (It takes time for sales revenue to catch up with cost of doing business--shipping, labor, offering credit-terms to clients etc.)

In any case...when prices are high supply will follow. ALWAYS. Again, not next month. But soon enough.

Trust me--there's not one manufacturer out there right now holding back on production or supply because prices are high. Not even the retarded ones. This is the time to MOVE product!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 01-29-2013 at 19:07..
Old 01-29-2013, 19:24   #23
glockin-45

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Lots of people dragging their feet on a purchase they wanted. Lots of people with a few guns on the list and had been putting it off until someone tells them they may not be able to own it a year from now.
Well, i guess if you wanted it. Why not? Next, the goverment is going to say cars kill, and every one has to buy a smart car, with a govenor on it so it won't go over 55 mph.
Old 01-29-2013, 19:27   #24
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
There's ONLY ONE REASON......PANIC.
exactly!

factories wouldn't take a chance of sitting on inventory with the chance of a ban being rammed through, and getting stuck with it, knowing it's at least a decade before they can move it out. that's be business suicide.
Old 01-29-2013, 20:05   #25
WinterWizard

The real answer to "Are they price gouging or not?" is to find out if the distributor's are getting firearms at the normal rate and turning around to sell them for double or triple or if they are seeing price hikes as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 21:41   #26
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
exactly!

factories wouldn't take a chance of sitting on inventory with the chance of a ban being rammed through, and getting stuck with it, knowing it's at least a decade before they can move it out. that's be business suicide.
Not sure about that. Many AR15 companies also sell to .MIL/LE so even if a AWB bans happens they could still sell their increased stock to them over time.
Old 01-29-2013, 21:44   #27
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

I know a good number of folks who were pushed over the line to AR purchases just barely, and were borderline able to afford it.

I am seeing a glut on the private market in the near future, a lot of folks do not have the financial wherewithal to buy and hold all these guns and accessories.

My personal forecast is after all the tax return money gets spent, a bunch of dumbasses wives and girlfriends are gonna say "sell that thing!, rent is due!"
Old 01-29-2013, 22:03   #28
oldman11

Let us not forget the thousands of rifles and thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammunition that Obama bought for his private army (Homeland Security).
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34   #29
slowgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-nineteen View Post
Economics 101
page 1
Supply & Demand

+1

This is what happens when supply is far less than demand. You get an exponential increase in demand with a hoarding mentality. Classic. Those who lived through the 94 gun grab are leading the charge.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46   #30
mtber1172

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/201...ustry.html?m=1

Interesting read on the current state of the industry.
Old 01-30-2013, 13:10   #31
EKUJustice

It really isn't as good a time to be in the gun business as people think. Retail is about having a flow of product in and out of the business. Most of the smaller shops especially have a reasonable supply on hand and replace it as it gets sold. The problem now is the product just is not coming in as it is all allocated to the very large places. The prices are going up not because of trying to gouge and screw the customer over but because you have no choice but to get what you can while you can and hope you can hold on till stuff becomes available. Right now basically all the center fire handguns are out of stock, the ruger 22s are all allocated, ammo is allocated and hard to get. About all you can find from the distributors now is just junk that your probably going to be sitting on for a while. It is not all ordering everything you want in and sitting there counting money hand over fist
Old 01-30-2013, 14:50   #32
dtsdave

Whittaker guns in Kentucky posts daily the AR type weapons they have received. A few hours after they open they post that they are sold out. People wait in line for hours every day to buy and what is not sold onsite they open to phone orders. The prices are normal and they sell out every day. There are always guns available at high prices but if you want regular prices you will have to wait in line.
Old 01-30-2013, 22:07   #33
DAIadvisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtber1172 View Post
http://directorblue.blogspot.com/201...ustry.html?m=1

Interesting read on the current state of the industry.

"This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war."

Chilling line to say the least.
Old 01-31-2013, 17:24   #34
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
There was plenty on the shelves and people bought it all faster than the the manufacturers and distributors could replace it, simple as that. I wasn't aware there was anybody who didn't already know that, but it doesn't require any complex explanation - even places as filled with AR's and such as Bud's sold out.
Like before Wally world decided to only allow one AR purchase per person per day. One manager told em a fella was buying all they had in stock every shipment and one weekend he found out why. The guy was selling the same Colts, DPMS and Sig rifles at the gun shows for 3 times what he paid.

I would venture to guess that a good chunk of everything that is purchased is done so strictly to resale at inflated prices. Or how all the LE distributors also supply LGSs and sold everything they had in stock repeatedly over and over to them because the LGSs can't keep anything on the shelf more than a day.

It is pretty easy to figure out.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
Old 01-31-2013, 17:37   #35
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post

My personal forecast is after all the tax return money gets spent, a bunch of dumbasses wives and girlfriends are gonna say "sell that thing!, rent is due!"
personally, i'm looking forward to that day.
Old 01-31-2013, 17:45   #36
humanguerrilla

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 02-01-2013 at 04:30..
Old 01-31-2013, 21:17   #37
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIadvisor View Post
So I've been thinking about the reasons why everyone is out of stock on everything.. Here's my explanation.

Reason 1: There was never that much available in the first place. I mean not every day someone goes out and drops 1k + on a EBR or related components. Sometimes there's a waiting list to get your stuff even without the madness that ensued after Sandy Hook. I mean yes, there is a reasonable amount of rifles out there for normal sales, but if panic hits, everything dries up and it takes time to spin up production.

Reason 2: With prices artificially inflated, there's no real reason for manufacturers to increase production. If I can sell a lower for 300 vs. 85, why would I ever make more than I need to maintain that profit margin?

Thoughts?
Larger stores and dealers had stock and if you are looking at this price increase, it is being driven by the people in the middle. Pmag is still selling their stuff for pre Sandy Hook prices, Academy Sports still gets their stuff for the same price from Sig and DPMS and they haven't gouged yet.
Old 01-31-2013, 22:33   #38
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

It's gonna be a long time before things level out. But when they do, it will be at a much higher level than in the recent past.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46   #39
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
It's gonna be a long time before things level out. But when they do, it will be at a much higher level than in the recent past.
Oddly enough that is the one thing I do hold out some hope for. While I definitely think it will be a good year (or more) before the buying spree subsides, I think prices will come back down.

We all kind of said the same thing when Obama got elected but just before CT prices were dang cheap, cheaper than before his election. Every store and his brother had cases of 5.56, heck even Dick's Sporting Goods started carrying cases of AE Tactical, Wolf Military Classic and the like.

I think prices will come back to November 2012 levels but it will take a heck of a long time to work through all the back orders.

I don't expect much stock overrun either, since all these manufacturers should be pretty good at working with retailers to gauge existing backorder demand.

Guess we'll see!

-Stooxie
Old 02-01-2013, 18:48   #40
mtber1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIadvisor View Post
"This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war."

Chilling line to say the least.
Very chilling indeed.

Closed Thread