SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:52   #1
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Atheist Has A Vivid Dream of Heaven

I figured this would be the place to post this. Maybe some of you here have read it, but I enjoyed it and hope others here do as well.

http://conversationswithyeshua.blogs...l#.UP6Xh_mC9Js
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03   #2
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

I've always said, "There's only two kinds of people in this world.
Those who believe in God, and those who will."

Last edited by JBnTX; 01-23-2013 at 09:05..
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17   #3
Syclone538

Quote:
so what I saw was not previously planted in there)
This is just flat out false. You don't get to 15 years old without ever hearing of, of seeing on tv anything about heaven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18   #4
ksg0245

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post

I've always said, "There's only two kinds of people in this world.
Those who believe in God, and those who will."

You mean when God provides the evidence he refused to provide when requested so he could punish those he created as skeptical for being how he created them?
ksg0245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48   #5
ColdSteelNail

Like it says in the title "vivid dream".
ColdSteelNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57   #6
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteelNail View Post
Like it says in the title "vivid dream".
I've had plenty of vivid dreams that aren't true. Just ask Angelina Jolie.

Who even thinks such nonsense is worthy of writing down?
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53   #7
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Plenty of cultures believe dreams are important, and some make claims of being able decipher them. Certain meds can give you VERY vivid and memorable dreams.

Can't argue with some if it, we are heading into "interesting times".

Maybe the author believes this, maybe not.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-23-2013 at 10:55..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03   #8
Japle
John, Viera, Fl

I had a vivid dream last night that I was alone in a strange room and wanted to take a shower, but it was too cold. Then I woke up. I was in bed with my wife and I was cold, so I pulled up the covers and went back to sleep.

Itís just a dream. Donít get excited.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06   #9
Glock36shooter

DMT Trip?
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14   #10
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
DMT Trip?
There are lots of medications that can cause extremely vivid dreams. I have some personal experience being on mefloquine for a while. They are real feeling enough that it can take a few moments to realize it was a dream. Point being, it can be legit, not just illicit.

I had a lot of guys ask for more after we left theater. But, no malaria, no anti malarial prescriptions, sorry.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29   #11
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post

I've had plenty of vivid dreams that aren't true. Just ask Angelina Jolie...
I just did.
She laughed and said she doesn't even know who you are.
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 16:48   #12
fowl intent

That is 5 minutes I can never get back...
fowl intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 17:44   #13
G26S239
NRA Patron

I wonder if the author of that piece is the same guy who writes those odious Subaru commercials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
This is just flat out false. You don't get to 15 years old without ever hearing of, of seeing on tv anything about heaven.
I find that unlikely as well.
Old 01-24-2013, 00:36   #14
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Dreams are incredibly interesting. I had a college professor that taught me about lucid dreaming. I've been practicing it for about 12 years now.

I can't do it all the time, and more often than I would like, when I realize I'm dreaming I just wake up, but when I can stay asleep and control my dreams...that's real fun. However even at this point I still wake from dreams that leave me questioning whether they were reality or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
There are lots of medications that can cause extremely vivid dreams...
Most definitely. In addition, I have found that discontinuing medications and other substances like caffeine and nicotine can cause very vivid dreams.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08   #15
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
Dreams are incredibly interesting. I had a college professor that taught me about lucid dreaming. I've been practicing it for about 12 years now.

I can't do it all the time, and more often than I would like, when I realize I'm dreaming I just wake up, but when I can stay asleep and control my dreams...that's real fun.
I've done it once. I was falling asleep telling myself to have a lucid dream - and I fell asleep, and started dreaming that I was falling asleep telling myself to have a lucid dream - and then I fell a lower level down where it was basically a dream that I was dreaming, where I was actually unaware that part of my 'falling asleep telling myself to have a lucid dream' was a dream, but entirely aware that I was currently dreaming (actually - it's an interesting question as to whether or not I was merely dreaming that I was having a lucid dream, or whether I was actually lucid - but I perceived myself to be lucid, I appeared to have control of my own actions, and I appeared to have control over the events that occurred). It stopped when I dreamt that I woke up, and then I started having ordinary non-lucid dreams. It was a pretty neat experience.

Edit: honestly, I didn't really try it after that. I'd read a book where the main premise was that there was a shared dream space that multiple different people could occupy - the book was fiction, but a friend of mine and I started talking about the concept, and we decided we'd try test whether or not it was true (which, admittedly, neither of us expected it to be). So I ended up spending a few months trying to have a lucid dream, and when I did, I went to find my friend, and did so. But out in reality, when I asked my friend what he'd dreamt about the night before, they didn't at all match up with what had happened in my dream. We concluded that, at least in that occurrence, there was no reason to think there was a shared dream experience, and I stopped trying to have lucid dreams. It was a fun "experiment", though.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 01-24-2013 at 01:37..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28   #16
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
I've done it once. I was falling asleep telling myself to have a lucid dream - and I fell asleep, and started dreaming that I was falling asleep telling myself to have a lucid dream - and then I fell a lower level down where it was basically a dream that I was dreaming, where I was actually unaware that part of my 'falling asleep telling myself to have a lucid dream' was a dream, but entirely aware that I was currently dreaming (actually - it's an interesting question as to whether or not I was merely dreaming that I was having a lucid dream, or whether I was actually lucid - but I perceived myself to be lucid, I appeared to have control of my own actions, and I appeared to have control over the events that occurred). It stopped when I dreamt that I woke up, and then I started having ordinary non-lucid dreams. It was a pretty neat experience.
I have been "trapped" in dream states sort of like that. Dreaming that I woke up, sometimes four or five times before I actually woke up.

When I am lucid dreaming, I am consciously aware that I am dreaming and can make conscious decisions altering the dream.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45   #17
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
When I am lucid dreaming, I am consciously aware that I am dreaming and can make conscious decisions altering the dream.
That's exactly what it felt like. For instance, I was walking around checking things out, and someone tried to rob me at gunpoint, and my response was "You can't do that", and they said "Why?", and I responded by telling them "Because this is my dream", taking the gun out of their hand, and twisting it up into a pretzel before willing it to disappear.

However, writing my previous post up the possibility occurred to me that my perception that I was consciously aware that I was dreaming, and that I was making conscious decisions altering the dream, could have merely been part of the sub-dream, and not actually true. Did I decide that I wanted that gun to disappear, and willed it to happen in the dream? Or did I dream that I wanted that gun to disappear, and dream that I willed it to happen in the dream? I'm trying to think up a test of how to determine the difference, and basically coming up empty at the moment.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 01-24-2013 at 02:13..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:59   #18
itstime

I wake up some mornings and first thing is think WTH. That dream was crazy.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:37   #19
TK-421

Bet that person was tripping balls.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09   #20
Glock36shooter

In the words of Chris Rock... "What ever happened to crazy?" Can't a person just be crazy? Doesn't have to be a vision from God. He can just be mentally ill.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote