Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 15:42   #1
nathanours
Texan

Decent quality scope for around $150?

Hey everyone,

I'd like to get a decent quality scope for roughly around $150 if possible. I'd like to go small game hunting (mostly prairie dog) with my Colt 6920.

Currently the gun is wearing an Aimpoint PRO with a mount that holds zero once it is removed so I've got something decent for self defense.

Are there any decent options that have at least 4+ magnification that will work for what I'm interested in doing? I'd also kind of like something that has bullet drop marks in the reticle if possible. I don't want the center cross-hairs to be too thick as I'll be going for smaller targets at longer distances as well.

I don't want to buy total junk either so if nothing fits within my range, I'll just save up and wait another year, but I don't need something that is built to withstand combat conditions either.

What do you guys think?

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 01-29-2013 at 15:43..
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 16:02   #2
jbachg26

Save another 75 and get a leupold vr 1-4x-well worth the extra $...it was 229 shipped I believe but it is crystal clear Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1359496884.804949.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	230831

Posted using [URL=http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/]Outdoor Hub Campfire[/URL]
jbachg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 16:17   #3
AsSeenOnTV

slickguns.com

Be patient and about once a month some good deals can be found there on scopes. I just bought a Nikon Buckmaster for 130 dollars in a 3x9x40 for my CZ 22 rifle. Amazon was selling them for 189.00
And so far it seems (to me) that it is even brighter than my Vortex Scope on my AR. I might have to do some switcheroo.
AsSeenOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 16:22   #4
nathanours
Texan

I'll have to check both of those out.

I've also seen people just putting magnifiers in front of their red dot sights. Would this work well? I've never shot a gun with a magnifier.

Would something like this work for prairie dogs?

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...ier_p/pa6x.htm

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 01-29-2013 at 16:24..
Old 01-29-2013, 16:29   #5
AsSeenOnTV

a few problems with magnifiers in front of a red dot system is they also magnify the dot, so shooting small targets, the dot can completely block out the target, making it a guess at where exactly it is. (Thats why the Cheveron Triangle is getting more and more popular). If you have a larger MOA dot, at a far distance like a prairie dog generally is, good luck with seeing the dog.

Another problem is you are now looking through double the amount of lenses, which means double the amount of lens distortion, dust, etc. A better system would be to get something like a Larue Quick detachable mount and a 3x9 or 4x12 etc scope.
A little bit more pricey, but you only pay for quality once.

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 01-29-2013 at 16:57..
Old 01-29-2013, 16:41   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

The magnifier goes BEHIND the red dot, not in front of it.

The dot and target are magnified together, meaning the dot covers the exact same area of the target as it does unmagnified. Turning down the brightness 1-2 clicks on your PRO can make a magnifier work pretty well, as it will keep the dot from washing out the target. I got a PA 3x Deluxe magnifier for sale for $50 a while back, and it works well for the money as a range toy. For serious use (in my case, HD duty) I drop the magnifier and use my Aimpoint M2 by itself.
Old 01-29-2013, 16:59   #7
Minnow

With that budget,

Something like this would work for the time being. Comes with mount too. Switch out the aimpoint for PD and recheck zero.
http://swfa.com/BSA-6-18x40-Sweet-22...it-P60193.aspx

Something like this would be great, but it's a little out of your price range and you would still need to buy rings.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123...-reticle-matte

Maybe some compromise and a smaller scope for the M-4. About 50.00 higher than budget and you still need to buy rings.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/918...-reticle-matte

Any of those options would be better than an aimpoint/aimpoint with magnifier.
You will be glassing for the little bastards and you will want to dial in some elevation or use a BDC of some sort when you shoot at any extended range. I haven't played with BDC's enough to know their limitations/precision, so I would go with the MOA turrets and Mil Dot reticle of the Buckmaster myself.

Last edited by Minnow; 01-29-2013 at 21:30..
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 17:54   #8
nathanours
Texan

Basically I go small game hunting maybe 3-4 times a year, so this is definitely not the rifle's primary function. Because of this I am reluctant to spend a large amount on something that will not get used a ton.

By the way the prairie dogs where I hunt range from about 50 yards away to 250 yards. What magnification is decent for those ranges? The dogs that are less than 125 yards are easy prey for my 10/22 with a 3-9, but further than that it becomes very difficult with a .22.

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 01-29-2013, 17:54   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
I'll have to check both of those out.

I've also seen people just putting magnifiers in front of their red dot sights. Would this work well? I've never shot a gun with a magnifier.

Would something like this work for prairie dogs?

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...ier_p/pa6x.htm
Just break out the Beta C-Mag and hose down the area!!!

Last edited by fnfalman; 01-29-2013 at 17:56..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 18:03   #10
nathanours
Texan

Would 3x magnification be adequate for a 200 yard prairie dog shot if the crosshairs were thin enough?

This is top rated on opticsplanet:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-...fle-scope.html

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 01-29-2013, 18:17   #11
AsSeenOnTV

my personal preference is I am not fond of fixed scopes. I like to play in all kinds of terrain, from thick forests, dense brush, to open meadows, and tundra, etc. A fixed scope is about useless in a heavy dense area. Up here my scope of choice is a 1.75x6. Back home in Idaho, a 3x9 works for me.
Old 01-29-2013, 19:00   #12
Minnow

Quote:
Would 3x magnification be adequate for a 200 yard prairie dog shot if the crosshairs were thin enough?

This is top rated on opticsplanet:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-...fle-scope.html
No...

Especially if you are buying a scope for the purpose of shooting prairie dogs. If you were to go with a fixed power scope, I wouldn't go lower than 6x for your purpose.

Last edited by Minnow; 01-29-2013 at 19:02..
Old 01-29-2013, 19:45   #13
Minnow

This would work fine for your purposes.

May not look tactical, but it'll be a better tool for the job than the Aimpoint.

and it's in your budget. It will be more compact and look better on an AR-15 carbine than the bigger scopes.

Last edited by Minnow; 01-29-2013 at 19:46..
Old 01-29-2013, 20:05   #14
njl

Years ago, I asked for recommendations for an inexpensive scope, and WalterGA recommended this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746...-reticle-matte

It works...it was cheap. If I could do it over, I'd probably spend a little more (like up to 3x as much) and get something with better glass and a mil-dot reticle, but this scope at 20x on an AR, from the bench, made shooting 3.5" hard drives at 120yds hard to miss. I can't say how well it would work for prairie dogs at unknown distances.

Unfortunately, a really good scope can easily cost as much or more than the rifle you put it on.

This one looks interesting. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123...-reticle-matte

I'm actually tempted to order it.
Old 01-29-2013, 21:18   #15
Cole125
Silver Membership

Look into the Simmons ProHunter 3-9. Great scope for $100, I have one that has held zero over 500 rounds on a .308 bolt gun.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/simmons-...fle-scope.html
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:54   #16
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Nikon Coyote, or the Burris Fullfield.

Both run around $200, but have good glass. I've hit man sized targets at 250m with the Fullfield and I could have hit smaller, they just didn't have anything smaller to hit.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51   #17
AsSeenOnTV

here is a scope that is good enough to do what you want a few times a year, and when funds are more available, and you can get something more expensive, this would still make a great scope for a 22 rifle

http://www.slickguns.com/product/bus...-free-shipping

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 01-30-2013 at 09:52..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31   #18
nathanours
Texan

If I saved a little bit longer would something like this work well?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...fle-scope.html

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 01-30-2013 at 11:47..
Old 01-30-2013, 13:02   #19
Minnow

Quote:
If I saved a little bit longer would something like this work well?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...fle-scope.html
It will work, the magnification range would be well suited for what you are wanting to do. I however don't believe you are getting very much for your money compared to what is available. That scope has tension adjusted dials that have a coin slot. I'd skip that one. It's too expensive for what you are getting.
Old 01-30-2013, 13:05   #20
AsSeenOnTV

one of the really big differences in Ziess scopes and other expensive scopes is how much light they are capable of gathering in. meaning in dimlight situations after the sun has gone down, or before it has risen, an expensive scope will help you pick out a target faster than a cheaper scope can. Just because it is able to almost produce as much light as your human eye is seeing. if you dont plan on doing an expensive guided hunt where you pay 5 to 10 grand to take a once in a lifetime animal, and are just using the scope for everyday shooting. As long as the reticle holds its zero, then the cheaper scope is capable of seeing a prairie dog 200 yards and out. Unless you are using a rest, like a Bipod, or sandbags, a large zoom will just magnify your wobble.

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 01-30-2013 at 13:06..