Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 21:45   #1
Deaf Smith

Ok are they worth it...

Spotted a S&W PPK .380, stainless. $399 is asking price along with Uncle Sam's tacked on tax.

Also a Colt Cobra, nickle, 3ed gen (last ones) for $500, flat.

So are they worth it? I know about the S&W PPK callbacks but is it a reliable piece?

Thanks,

Deaf
Old 01-29-2013, 21:52   #2
countrygun

If it were me, I'd buy the Colt and tell myself that it paid for itself with the money I didn't spend on the PPK. 30 years ago my friends and I tried out the PPK and figured it to be one of the most over rated guns of the day. That is not just the S&W issue, but design wise. Accuracy was mediocre, hammer and slide bite were too easy to arrange, etc. today there are better .380s and other choices in the same genre.

The Colt is a better gun.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 22:46   #3
vantage

Mine has been perfect, easily worth $400. General Firearms Forum
vantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 22:49   #4
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
If it were me, I'd buy the Colt and tell myself that it paid for itself with the money I didn't spend on the PPK. 30 years ago my friends and I tried out the PPK and figured it to be one of the most over rated guns of the day. That is not just the S&W issue, but design wise. Accuracy was mediocre, hammer and slide bite were too easy to arrange, etc. today there are better .380s and other choices in the same genre.

The Colt is a better gun.

I agree with all of your points.

I have a nickel-plated Cobra and it is a very nice revolver. If I could replace it easily, I would carry it in my coat pocket, instead of an S&W J frame.

I would pass on the PPK.

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:06   #5
Glock40man

The S&W PPK that I had, was 100% reliable and, very accurate. But, I'd probably buy the Colt.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28   #6
Berto
woo woo

Deaf is a Colt agent kinda guy....I can't see you getting a PPK.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31   #7
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

I'd buy both.
I carried a S&W PPK for years. 100% reliable.

The older Interarms PPK/S were jamb-o-matics (at least the 2 I had were).

However, I have reverted back to my days in the 70s and 80s, and now carry a revolver.

ence my answer for both.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:36   #8
bac1023

My S&W PPK has been 100% reliable, but nowadays I'd only buy a German model built by Walther.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:29   #9
ca survivor

My S&W PPKs has been reliable.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33   #10
ancient_serpent

Have a S&W PPK/S .380, only have about 300 rounds through it or so. Been reliable for the time I have shot it...
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43   #11
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I'd say yes to the Cobra and if you don't want it, PM me the shop's contact info.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25   #12
bignuglyone

I wouldn't even consider the PPK. I've had too many bad experiences with the Interarms guns. The short butt Cobra can be fitted with Agent stocks making it as much a pocket gun as a J Frame Smith.

Give the Cobra a thorough look for frame cracks. I traded off a really nice nickel Cobra with the shrouded barrel a couple years ago. Big mistake. $500 is about $100 less than the going rate assuming it's a nice gun. There's a little confusion about the number of gens. in my mind. I'm thinking a 3rd gen Cobra would be a short butt with shrouded barrel while a comparable DS would be a gen 4? Some say that DS's actually have 5 gens, with a minor change around 1950.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53   #13
vtducrider

I liked the PPK/S before it was made by Smith and Wesson. That being said, it lost the appeals to me when I finally got a Seecamp in 380. But that's just me. There is a big following for this classic gun for sure. So I would get the Colt Cobra if the choices were presented to me.
vtducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:51   #14
Deaf Smith

Ok game plan.

The Cobra seller will meet with me soon. I'll inspect it very carefully! No flaking nickle, tight, locks on all chambers, no scratches. Yea then I'd spring for it.

I have the S&W PPK callback list and if it's one of those I'd pass. If on second look it looks good (it DOES have scratches) then I'll offer less and see if they bite. I've owned several PPKs and PPs and yes they bit the hand that fed them. But the S&W has a good long tang and it looks like it won't bite me.

I do have the cash so I can maybe get a good deal done by this weekend.

Now I have a 2nd gen Dick, factory nickle, and it sleeps in the safe. And I also bet the Cobra is NOT TO BE SHOT WITH +P! So I'll make an investment out of it (hahaha you know what my wife thinks of that, right?)

And the PPK I can take all the scratches out with my combo superfine steel wool and stainless polish. I'm also pretty sure I can't make that DA pull lighter, and that is why the 'James Bond' shtick has always been stupid to me.

Find out in a few days guys.

Deaf
Old 01-30-2013, 18:59   #15
deputy tom

Deaf, you do what you want but I'm a dyed in the wool James Bond fan. A Walther,yes but that S&W doesn't cut it IMHO. Between the two I'd buy the Cobra. YMMV. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceňl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:42   #16
donmor53

Buy the Colt.

If it's in good shape it's the only one that will appreciate in price if properly cared for.

PPKs are vastly overated IMO unless you have really small hands. We bought my wife one and initially it was great. That is until the first time the slide got her when she didn't pay close attention to her grip position. With that...out the door it went...
donmor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33   #17
wilsoni91
BOHICA

I carry a PPK/S and I love it. I only paid $270 for mine and think it was a deal and a half. I have not had a single problem with mine since the day that I brought it home and carry it every day at work.

G23C, P99QA, 638, P220, PPK/S, P22, TA-90, G19
wilsoni91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39   #18
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

I've had a few jams with my S&W made Walther, but think it was due to the cheap ammo. (PMC Hardball) No problems with the Hornady loads I use for carry. I don't reload for it (yet...) but not a bad pistol.

General Firearms Forum

However...given the choice...I'd go for the Colt for sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54   #19
Pier23

It took me three tries to get a properly functioning SmithWalther, but it works well.

If you are interested in the PPK, it is because of the beauty of the weapon, the Bond mystique and that not that many people have one.

Arguably, the Sig P220 is what the PPK should be.

Get the PPK if you want a PPK.
Pier23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 18:03   #20
Deaf Smith

Ok the PPK was one of the first call backs and has the strike on the inside of the tang showing it was repaired.. Will think about it as I tried a Beretta Nano (about same price) and hey, they are good.

The Colt Cobra had some nickle flaking at the grips edge so I passed. It had high serial number and one of the last ones made.

Deaf