Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:19   #1
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Mmoja Ajabu front page Indystar.com news.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...AL18/701150388

Indiana Glockers

From rage to redemption
Former radical celebrates spiritual rebirth anchored in lessons espoused by King

By Robert King
robert.king@indystar.com

Mmoja Ajabu didn't always embrace the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s philosophy that protest should be peaceful.

When he led the Black Panther Militia in Indiana, Ajabu specifically left open the possibility that armed conflict might be the answer to black oppression.
When he wanted to bring attention to his concerns about a black man's impending execution, he burned an American flag on Monument Circle.
When his son was being prosecuted for a triple murder in Carmel, Ajabu was jailed for making threatening comments toward court officials.
Ajabu, a man disillusioned by his tour of duty in Vietnam and bitter about racism he saw upon his return, thought more along the lines of Malcolm X, who asserted that blacks should seek justice "by any means necessary."
He was an angry man.
Now, years later, Ajabu has changed. He no longer believes in violence. He regrets burning the flag. He said he was wrong to think only of himself and his son when two Carmel families were enduring the aftermath of the murders his son took part in.
Today, Ajabu will speak at a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event, and he's also leading an effort to rename Michigan Road for the civil rights leader who opposed violence.
So what happened to Ajabu, the man then-Indianapolis Mayor Stephen Goldsmith once called "one of the most destructive forces" influencing race relations in the city?
Ajabu says he has found peace from God, with the help of Bishop T. Garrott Benjamin Jr.
"It was my faith that made me start being more concerned about my behavior and how it was affecting others," Ajabu said. "Now I think about what I do and how do other people think about it."
Foe becomes friend
That Benjamin should be instrumental in Ajabu's turnaround is perhaps the most fascinating irony.
Ajabu once saw Benjamin as his nemesis. He confronted Benjamin in public and lambasted him on the radio as the epitome of the black church's failure to address real social injustices.
Yet it was in Benjamin's Light of the World Christian Church where Ajabu, now 57, was ordained in October and given the title "minister of social concerns."
In his new role, Ajabu is focused on some of the same issues that drove him in the 1990s: poverty, crime and the city's failure to solve them. He is again concerned that a violent uprising is imminent unless the problems are addressed. But this time he is not fanning the fire. Ajabu and those who know him say he has put away the flamethrower in favor of reason.
"I cannot garner support by being out here burning the flag. That is not going to garner support," Ajabu said. "It is going to let people know what is going on. But instead of getting people to look at the issue . . . they are going to look at the tactic."
Promoting Farrakhan
Ajabu spent much of the early 1990s making waves across Indianapolis.
He brought controversial minister Louis Farrakhan to town to raise "defense funds" for the Black Panther Militia. He picketed a Korean-American-owned business, urging blacks to go elsewhere for their sundry needs, presumably to black-owned businesses.
He racked up three felony convictions for handgun possession, an altercation with a service station attendant and threatening the prosecutor in his son's murder case. He served time in prison.
As he waged a personal war, Ajabu made Benjamin a symbolic target for his rhetoric. But Ajabu had never heard Benjamin preach or seen what his church was doing.
"The strategy at the time was to use Bishop Benjamin because he was the most influential pastor, in our eyes, in the city," Ajabu said.
Benjamin said the difference in their styles sometimes masked similar goals.
"I think what he wanted at that point was for people to look at the Black Panther methodology as the way," Benjamin said. "Of course, I was talking about a Christ-centered, Martin Luther King protest, if you will -- peaceful and nonviolent."
Finally, a church member coaxed Ajabu into visiting Benjamin's church.
The invitation came at a key point in his life.
Ajabu had been fired from his job because of the handgun arrest. His marriage had fallen apart. His house burned in what he still thinks was an arson. And his Black Panther Militia was starting to crumble. Then, there was his son's conviction in the murder case.
Ajabu almost didn't make it through the door of Benjamin's church, then on 38th Street. Security guards had heard of Ajabu's rantings against the bishop and stopped him from entering.
Although Ajabu had lost the right to carry a weapon after his handgun arrest, the members of the militia he brought with him that day were well-armed. A dangerous confrontation looked imminent.
Benjamin, hearing about the ruckus, intervened, telling the men to let Ajabu come in. He told them to put Ajabu in the front row, next to Benjamin's wife.
"If you put the light on the enemy," Benjamin said, "he will either run to you or run away from you."
Benjamin's act of reconciliation touched Ajabu deeply, as did the subsequent sermon on Moses -- the great liberator of an oppressed people, and Ajabu's hero.
"I couldn't ignore the symbolism," Ajabu said.
He cried like a baby, he said, and when the altar call came, Ajabu went forward and joined the church. "I think God was trying to tell me something," he said, "and he finally got my ear."
Panther to preacher
Mark A. Russell has seen the change in Ajabu.
While an associate minister at Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church, he nearly came to blows with Ajabu after Ajabu cursed in his church. Quoting from the Bible, Russell said Ajabu "had a zeal, but not according to knowledge."
Russell, now with the Indianapolis Urban League, said Ajabu's transformation means that his actions no longer thwart his interest in bettering the community.
"There is a serenity and sense of peace that Mmoja has now that was not present before," Russell said. "In the past, you could always tell there was a not-so-subliminal sense of rage going on."
Cornell Burris, president of the Greater Indianapolis NAACP branch, said Ajabu was a divisive figure who is now an example of how anyone can change.
"I think he has become less aggressive and more persuasive -- like Dr. King advocated while he was alive," Burris said.
Ajabu's main task these days is directing Light of the World's mentoring program for troubled kids. He shares with them his story, including his time in prison, and his son's crimes, which led to a life prison sentence.
Curiously, people had been telling Ajabu that he was destined for ministry since he was young. After all, his father, Paul West Sr., had been a Baptist minister. Ajabu credits Benjamin for bringing him home.
"He loved the hell out of me," Ajabu said. "Literally."

Call Star reporter Robert King at (317) 444-6089.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

Here is a reference article for the kind of good citizen Mmoja, his wife JANE raised..

http://www.state.in.us/judiciary/opi...30601.trb.html

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...&client=safari

Previous GT forum post:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=600491

RIP:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=7805260&

Indiana Glockers

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=13057357&

Indiana Glockers
Old 01-15-2007, 07:34   #2
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

He's a virtual CELEBRITY with The Star:

Indiana Glockers
Old 01-15-2007, 08:00   #3
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Amazing!

Such a rehabilitation implies a concerted effort on behalf of the editors. Wonder who is really behind this conspiracy?
Old 01-15-2007, 21:44   #4
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
Apparently Mmoja believes he can amass more wealth and power as a Bible thumper than during any of his other incarnations.
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:44   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I know God can change people, so maybe he's changed, I certainly hope he has.

His son though, from personal experience, is trash. He's nothing but a punk, and its no surprise to me that he's ended up where he is. Frankly, I'm thankful he'll never see the light of day again...

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:36   #6
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

His son is just like his dad ,only he pushed it more and got caught,both of them are real POS material.

Dig a deep hole and throw them both in and cover with dirt

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:35   #7
IPDBrad

Didn't his son just pummel a guard recently, to the point of causing him permanent damage?

Regardless, too bad they didn't nuke Kofi.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:24   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by IPDBrad
Didn't his son just pummel a guard recently, to the point of causing him permanent damage?

Regardless, too bad they didn't nuke Kofi.
I know for a while it was reported he had a serious brain injury, but last I heard, he was going to go back to work. If I recall, he hit him in the head repeatedly with a padlock stuck in a sock(one of their favorites)...

igf
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28   #9
rhino465

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
I know God can change people, so maybe he's changed, I certainly hope he has.
You're probably right about the first part, and the world would be better if he really has changed because he's been a significant detriment to society (to put it mildly) for a long, long time.

I remain skeptical of his sincerity.

I'm sure he blames it all on "society" and "racism," but he himself created the monster that his son is. I think the big difference between the two is that the father has not yet been called to account fully for what is probably a lengthy list of predatory crimes.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:05   #10
IPDBrad

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
I know for a while it was reported he had a serious brain injury, but last I heard, he was going to go back to work. If I recall, he hit him in the head repeatedly with a padlock stuck in a sock(one of their favorites)...

igf
That's right, thanks. Gald to hear he is back to work.

Did I ever mention that I am a firm believer that the punishment should fit the crime?
Old 01-17-2007, 20:01   #11
seamus

Didn't somone say that "religion is the last refuge of scoundrels" ???
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:40   #12
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Mmoja again dons the front page of the Indystar.com website.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/705010448

He's behind the guy that looks like someone ran over his dog.

and who is the white guy?

Indiana Glockers
Old 05-02-2007, 14:41   #13
seamus

I don't know who the white guy is, but he doesn't look like he's buying any of it.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:59   #14
KSFreeman
Broken Member

If the Black ministers wish to stop violence in their communities, can't they just turn around and ask Mmoja to tell his followers to chill out?

I say we arm their congregations with rifles and radios and that hip hop/rap rubbish gangsta wannabe behavior would change overnight. I cannot fathom how those people stand it.
Old 05-03-2007, 19:30   #15
4sarge

Send a message via AIM to 4sarge
Does anyone know what Mmoja Ajabu's name was prior to his conversion? I think that I went to HS with him but need his pre enlightenment name. That would make him 55 - 60 yrs of age or there abouts.

The facial expressions in that photo are priceless and who is the dork white guy?
Demand PROOF

"We must all hang together or we shall surely hang separately."

Ben Franklin

Last edited by 4sarge; 05-03-2007 at 19:33..
4sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 17:34   #16
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Mmoja Ajabu was just front and center on CBS News's FIRST story, which was Obama campaigning in South Bend/Elkhart. CBS played him (Mmoja) talking in the microphone to Obama. Nothing like someone that threatened to kill a prosecutor get so much airtime/press.

He'll be President someday, I fear.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:29   #17
4sarge

Send a message via AIM to 4sarge
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sarge View Post
Does anyone know what Mmoja Ajabu's name was prior to his conversion? I think that I went to HS with him but need his pre enlightenment name. That would make him 55 - 60 yrs of age or there abouts.

The facial expressions in that photo are priceless and who is the dork white guy?
From Indianapolis Monthly

Quote:
He felt his identity, too, was false, and he abandoned his Christian name. Mmoja Ajabu was derived from dialects of Western Africa (mmoja meaning “one who is unique,” and ajabu meaning “one who brings and invites surprise”). Paul West Jr. was a white man’s moniker, his father’s name, a name that, to this day, he will not answer to.
I did go to Ben Davis HS in the same era with Paul West. I'd like to think that he has "Changed" but the rational side of me says that he has not. Looks like he has found the "Church" as a tool to spread his rhetoric

I hope that I am incorrect
Demand PROOF

"We must all hang together or we shall surely hang separately."

Ben Franklin
4sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 21:43   #18
rhino465

Ah, good ol' Mmoja. One of the most virulently racist, hateful, spiteful, and dangerous people Indianapolis has ever produced. I'm still not buying the "he found Jesus" crap.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:00   #19
IPDBrad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE6MNaGffp8

Don't be so quick to jump off the Ajabu bandwagon?

Someone as esteemed as Andre Carson thinks highly of the family.

Please not, this post has been previously drenched in sarcasm.
Old 02-11-2009, 20:29   #20
B-58 OTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FThorn View Post
He's a virtual CELEBRITY with The Star:

Indiana Glockers
I'm not a believer, but feel if you choose to follow Christ, one of the very first virtues you must espouse is humility.
See any of that here?
We, as Hoosiers, are honored to have a proud family such as the Ajabus grounded here.
Of course, they are not nearly as deeply planted as Nick & Lisa Allemenos and Chris James. Since 1994. Looking for recreational smoke and hooked by inter-city punk human turds.
James Walls (Google that name, be swamped by felony results, none our killer in three pages), Raymond Adams, and the uber-racist, Kofi Ajabu.
A principal reason I carry (Glock 27, perfection) is to protect the defenseless.
The State of Indiana has neglected the defensless in this case, as Kofi Ajabu is alive and a pain in the ass at Pendleton State Reformatory.
Ajabu (both, in a better world), Walls, and Adams should have been in the ground for at least fourteen years.
They are wasting money, resources, and air.

Authority affects all, benefits few, and has no innate intelligence or morality. Comply as you wish, resist when you must, and ignore at your peril.
B-58 OTH is offline   Reply With Quote