Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:16   #1
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Ever wonder if theists discuss logical fallacies?

The results make for quite an interesting read. Seems like bizarro world a few pages in...

http://www.christianforums.com/t7534961/
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31   #2
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,112
Yes they do.
Do atheists ever discuss logical fallacies?

How many forums do you troll?
There's this one, Democrat Underground and the Christian forum,
any others?

..

Last edited by JBnTX; 01-30-2013 at 08:33..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45   #3
Lone Wolf8634
:):
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Yes they do.
Do atheists ever discuss logical fallacies?

How many forums do you troll?
There's this one, Democrat Underground and the Christian forum,
any others?

..
You should get that anger under control. Yer gonna give yerself ulcers.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48   #4
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 15,078


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Yes they do.
Do atheists ever discuss logical fallacies?

How many forums do you troll?
Ad hom... just sayin...
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52   #5
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 15,078


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Ever wonder if theists discuss logical fallacies?
I'm sure they do, but it seems like they only do so to pick up new tips and strategies for debating.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11   #6
Lone Wolf8634
:):
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,549
Quote:
Genetic Fallacy
~The attempt to invalidate a position or belief, merely by showing how the position or belief originated.
Example:"Christianity arose because people feared reality, because people were scared of death. Therefore Christianity is false."


Poor example of a poor argument. Although I believe that RELIGION itself started much this way, Christianity itself came along after humans had become much more adept at manipulating each other.



Quote:
Ad Hominem Fallacy
~An argument that attempts to counter another's claims or conclusions by attacking the person, rather than addressing the argument itself.
Example:"You're an Idiot, only gullible, ignorant fools believe in God."



A tactic I have seen used much more by Theists than Atheists. Again, poor debating.


Quote:
Argument from Personal Incredulity
~An argument thats attempts to disprove or negate a position because the individual either does not understand and/or explain and/or imagine it.
Example: "God seems so illogical to me, he can't possibly exist."


This is hilarious. Really? Are there ANY Atheists actually using this argument??

Again, a tactic much more common to Theists.


Quote:
Appeal to Ridicule
~A fallacy where ridicule or mockery is substituted for evidence in an argument.
Example:"You can claim that God exists all you want, the theistic position is still laughable and illogical."


Again, A tactic much more likely to be in a theists repertoire.


Quote:
The Masked Man Fallacy (Illicit Substitution of Identities)
~A fallacy where an assumption is made that because something is known under one perspective, that it must also be known under a different perspective.
Example:"Thousands of years ago people believed lightning, rain and droughts were caused by a/the God(s). This has been disproved by science. Therefore God played no role in the creation of the Universe."
I can see how a person could misinterpret the "God of the Gaps" argument for this, if the person making the argument wasn't doing a very good job, and the person hearing it were mentally challenged.

Quote:
Appeal to Pity
~The receiver is urged to accept arguments based off an appeal to emotions or sympathy."
Example:"How could you honestly believe in God when there are starving children in Africa?"


Again, I could see how this could be misconstrued, I've seen it pointed out that the two subjects really don't seem to coexist well, but usually its part of a greater argument showing inconsistencies and inability to reconcile a God the Theist believes in and the reality of life.


Quote:
Guilt by Association
~Rejecting someone's argument because of the person's friends, religion, topic standing etc.
Example:"Why should I believe anything you say? You're a Christian after all!"
This is a retarded argument, and any Atheist OR Theist that makes it should be immediately discounted and their posts only read for entertainment value.

All in all, I dunno who these guys have been debating but they sure don't have any game.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31   #7
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!
 
Arc Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 10,956
Blog Entries: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf8634 View Post
You should get that anger under control. Yer gonna give yerself ulcers.
Hmmm, ....... JB's not the one who calls himself a, 'misanthrope'; nor does he use a snarling dog as an avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
The results make for quite an interesting read. Seems like bizarro world a few pages in...

http://www.christianforums.com/t7534961/
This is the Internet. A too frequent caricature of human intelligence; or should I say the lack thereof. It, often, overflows (Kind 'a like a public toilet) with: human naivete, malice, misconceptions, and stupidity.

With specific reference to generalized logical fallacies? Whose definition of a logical fallacy do you expect me to accept - Surely not your own!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50   #8
Lone Wolf8634
:):
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Hmmm, ....... JB's not the one who calls himself a, 'misanthrope'; nor does he use a snarling dog as an avatar.


Umm... He does actually call himself a "Misanthropist".

And it ain't a dog, it's a wolf. And I've never claimed to be a mellow person.

For example: You are insufferably arrogant and seem to push all the right buttons to irritate me enormously. The reasons you're not on my ignore list are:

(In no particular order)

A. I like to be irritated, it reminds me of why I call myself a misanthrope.

B. You are, at times, vastly amusing. Granted, it's an annoying and condescending type of amusing, yet amusing nonetheless,

C. I don't believe in ignore lists.

I do not care about how great you are, how much money you may have, how many friends you think you might have or anything else about you other than the fact that it's people just like you that turned me off to all religion, make me sputter in anger and incredulity and remind me why that, for the most part, I really, intensely, dislike most of the human race.

Congrats.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:36   #9
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,178
Yes they do, they discuss them as if they are valid arguments...

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 19:27   #10
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Ad hom... just sayin...
It's only an ad hom if he has no proof.


What about it JBnTX, got any proof of that. We know that Gunhaver has bragged about posting things to get a certain response, then run off to his liberal friends to laugh it up with them, he's admitted that.

But are you sure he's posting on DU and "the christian forum".

Last I heard, he was only running back to facebook to brag about the conservatives he upset.

You gotta show your cards on this one.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 19:48   #11
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 15,078


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
It's only an ad hom if he has no proof.

What about it JBnTX, got any proof of that. ...

You gotta show your cards on this one.
That is quite true. It's only an ad hom if it is used in place of a legitimate argument (or "evidence" as you put it). Otherwise, it's just a garden variety insult. The ad hom label gets thrown around a lot here by people that don't really understand what it is.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:07   #12
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
That is quite true. It's only an ad hom if it is used in place of a legitimate argument (or "evidence" as you put it). Otherwise, it's just a garden variety insult. The ad hom label gets thrown around a lot here by people that don't really understand what it is.
Religious Issues


Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:12   #13
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 15,078


You are one odd bird doc...
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:15   #14
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
You are one odd bird doc...
I do have an odd sense of humor, no argument there.

Try reading post number 10 after your second cup of coffee tomorrow. It might hit you then.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 22:24   #15
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post

With specific reference to generalized logical fallacies? Whose definition of a logical fallacy do you expect me to accept - Surely not your own!
The definition agreed upon by people who can demonstrate that they understand what a logical fallacy is. Is that so much to ask?
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 23:27   #16
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 15,078


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I do have an odd sense of humor, no argument there.

Try reading post number 10 after your second cup of coffee tomorrow. It might hit you then.
Odd, yes, and fairly simplistic too. It wasn't nearly as clever as you seem to think it was, just offbeat. and a little weird.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37   #17
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Odd, yes, and fairly simplistic too. It wasn't nearly as clever as you seem to think it was, just offbeat. and a little weird.
Those are common elements in comedy. So, you got it after all. Good for you.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01   #18
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
I don't know why I started reading that, but I did.

Someone suggested presuppositional apologetics, which is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

do ngu goi cam do ngu nam goi cam do so sinh ban buon vay cong so album anh be dep
Someone posts a definition of atheist, funny stuff.
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...

Last edited by Syclone538; 05-15-2013 at 05:40..
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 00:57   #19
void *
Dereference Me!
 
void *'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: #define NULL ((void *)0)
Posts: 10,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf8634 View Post
Poor example of a poor argument. Although I believe that RELIGION itself started much this way, Christianity itself came along after humans had become much more adept at manipulating each other.
Frame it like this, though:
a) Religion A claims it arose via X
b) Religion A actually arose via Y
c) X & Y contradict

and it becomes a perfectly valid argument (In the sense that if a can show Y is true, you will know that X is false, and since religion A claims X, you then know Religion A is making false claims)
__________________
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 02-08-2013 at 01:09..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:08   #20
Guss
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,700
I got tired of reading after the 6th page.

If only they could come up with some proof of god(s), they wouldn't have to spend time talking about what's wrong with atheists.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 903
260 Members
643 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31