Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2013, 20:41   #1
Captain Ron

Is it true about Glock not.

Is it true about Glock not making 7 shot magazine for New York? A man brings up the idea in this video.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1469113
Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 22:22   #2
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

You ask if its true and then you say its a fact.
Old 02-03-2013, 22:28   #3
boxer01

Yeah, pretty much answered your own question there.....
boxer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 22:46   #4
Captain Ron

I don't know it is fact the man in the video talked like it was fact sorry for any misunderstanding. He said that if they turn out 7 round mags more states would start to have a ban on normal capacity round mags.
Just thought it was a good idea from Glock. But it doesn't sound like a idea that any company would do.
Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 23:29   #5
EODLRD
AF Veteran

I would put my money on no.

I would be surprised if any gun maker did.
EODLRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 00:24   #6
larry_minn
Silver Membership

I hope they don't make a 7 rd mag (except if they make it for a single stack .45acp/10mm)
All gun/ammo makers should boycott all sales to "gov agencies" in occupied areas. Over these laws. I have heard of ONE manufacture Barret (sp) who did that. Sadly his wares are not in my price/skill area. Otherwise I would strongly look at buying. (for his stand alone)
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03   #7
BlackPaladin

Larry Minn, I hear that MN is looking intently at a similar statewide ban of 7 rds. Last I heard, it's up for discussion this week.......Fight the good fight sir.
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:32   #8
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODLRD View Post
I would put my money on no.

I would be surprised if any gun maker did.
Same.. Unless the gun is specifically designed for 7rds, I can't see a manufacturer trying to make magazines for one state.

However, IIRC, 10rd "preban" mags will still be allowed, you just can't put more than 7rds in them.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01   #9
umadcuzimstylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
All gun/ammo makers should boycott all sales to "gov agencies" in occupied areas. Over these laws.
That would be epic!
umadcuzimstylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member

It never crossed my mind that they'd invest in the design and equipment to manufacture a magazine that nobody outside a single US state would buy, ever. Glock is a world-wide military and law enforcement supplier - they barely care what the whole US civilian market wants (like that single-stack 9mm).

Last edited by Bren; 02-04-2013 at 04:40..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18   #11
Cambo

I will bet no. NJ has 15 rd limit rule, which was fine for my G19, G22, G24. I had to use 10 rd mags for my G17C, G17L and G34. Glock never made G17 15 rd mags.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58   #12
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
It never crossed my mind that they'd invest in the design and equipment to manufacture a magazine that nobody outside a single US state would buy, ever. Glock is a world-wide military and law enforcement supplier - they barely care what the whole US civilian market wants (like that single-stack 9mm).

Which is why they released subcompact guns shortly after the 1994 ban? Because the military and law enforcement were 100% exempt from that nonsense too.

NY's mag ban is going to die in court, and soon after we will be working on revoking some of our most draconian gun laws, but never if you believe gun manufacturers don't kow-tow to state requests...then we would agree you're nuts, because I distinctly remember LCIs/etc as a result of certain states wanting them.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59   #13
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Same.. Unless the gun is specifically designed for 7rds, I can't see a manufacturer trying to make magazines for one state.

However, IIRC, 10rd "preban" mags will still be allowed, you just can't put more than 7rds in them.
That rat thar!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25   #14
KalashniKEV

Why would Glock make a 7 round just for NY? NYers hate guns to begin with, and the samurai law enforcement class will be exempted from the law, even if you used to be a cop... so it won't effect their profits on normal pistols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
NY's mag ban is going to die in court, and soon after we will be working on revoking some of our most draconian gun laws, but never if you believe gun manufacturers don't kow-tow to state requests...
Which one, the 7 or the 10?

I'm a NYer, and although what they did was unconstitutional and just plain Evil, I don't see it. NYers thirst for this kind of stuff. They literally crave tyranny. It's the truth.

New York is "the progressive capital of America..."

The Okie Corral

(according to their own elected leader)
KalashniKEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33   #15
RonS

I'm sorry for the folks in NY, but gun makers need to cut off anti freedom states. Refuse their police business, refuse to qualify guns for their silly restrictions, refuse to service police guns already in the field. We are in a culture war, it is time to start acting like it.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:40   #16
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
Why would Glock make a 7 round just for NY? NYers hate guns to begin with, and the samurai law enforcement class will be exempted from the law, even if you used to be a cop... so it won't effect their profits on normal pistols.

Which one, the 7 or the 10?

I'm a NYer, and although what they did was unconstitutional and just plain Evil, I don't see it. NYers thirst for this kind of stuff. They literally crave tyranny. It's the truth.

New York is "the progressive capital of America..."

(according to their own elected leader)

His previous point:

they barely care what the whole US civilian market wants (like that single-stack 9mm).

My rebuttal was that Glock made a subcompact gun with a 10 rd mag to market in the USA after the Clinton 1994 ban.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42   #17
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Which is why they released subcompact guns shortly after the 1994 ban? Because the military and law enforcement were 100% exempt from that nonsense too.

NY's mag ban is going to die in court, and soon after we will be working on revoking some of our most draconian gun laws, but never if you believe gun manufacturers don't kow-tow to state requests...then we would agree you're nuts, because I distinctly remember LCIs/etc as a result of certain states wanting them.
I wish I shared your enthusiasm, my friend. What's good for NY will eventually be good for MA, so I support you in spirit and pocketbook.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44   #18
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Is it true about Glock not making 7 shot magazine for New York? A man brings up the idea in this video.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1469113
It would be surprising.

A friend suggested to me that despite the USA ranking significantly lower in math skills than Austria, they have faith that we can solve for x in the math problem, 10 - x = 7.

Yeah, he's a brainiac math teacher...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45   #19
kensb2
pistol n00b

Quote:
His previous point:

they barely care what the whole US civilian market wants (like that single-stack 9mm).

My rebuttal was that Glock made a subcompact gun with a 10 rd mag to market in the USA after the Clinton 1994 ban.
I think the difference being, that they knew that the whole country would buy that gun, for at least 10 years. In this case, it's just NYS. I'd think there would be a totatlly different profit margin?
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54   #20
KalashniKEV

Quote:
His previous point:

You're comparing a nationwide market which includes the whole gun-loving American public with the tiny percentage of people living in NY that don't hate guns... and the tiny fraction of that who are not members of the Fudd contingent.

Also, without sidetracking the thread, the "single stack 9mm" thing is a fad that will die. Glock knows this. Nobody serious would willingly sacrifice half of the rounds in their carry gun in order to carry a gun that is .23" thinner but .43" taller (G26 vs. Shield). Only the novelty crowd is crying out for this one.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55   #21
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I'm sorry for the folks in NY, but gun makers need to cut off anti freedom states. Refuse their police business, refuse to qualify guns for their silly restrictions, refuse to service police guns already in the field. We are in a culture war, it is time to start acting like it.
Of they all had the balls of Ronnie Barrett this whole piling of steaming crao would go away.

Imagine. Pass a 10 round limit. Quit making anything other than 10 rounders. Dont make any other mags for LE. It simplifies manufacturing and inventory to only make one mag. If LE only had 10 rounders to buy, they could jump up and down and scream, but they would buy them and carry them.

This is the time for the gun industry to get some balls and end this.

If I owned a gun company, I would refuse right now to ship any mags or ammo to any LE agency. I would tell them that because of govt actions, that civilian orders cannot be filled and they will be filled after civilian gun store orders are filled and stock levels are back to normal.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.

Last edited by DanaT; 02-04-2013 at 07:57..
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02   #22
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
I think the difference being, that they knew that the whole country would buy that gun, for at least 10 years. In this case, it's just NYS. I'd think there would be a totatlly different profit margin?

Once again, I am not speaking on this 7 mag issue, I am addressing his claim that Glock does not care about the non LE market.

The 7 mag limit will not stand, it will roll to a 10 mag limit, and how many states are there in the nation that have 10 mag limits?

CA,HI, MA, NY and possibly DC had 10 rd limit on mags - and Glock still continues to make 10 rd mags for these wastelands, despite Bren's or anyone else's claims.

So in theory all it takes is 5 states to clamor for something - and if two of those fives states are NY & CA, it is more than likely to happen.

Granted, Glock already had complete tooling and setup from the ban of 1994, but that expired 8-9 years ago, and they still crank out 10 rd mags for G17s,G19s, G22s, etc.

Why? Because they sell guns and make money. Never forget that 1st & foremost Glock Inc is a business. A democratic congress or WH actually means MORE BUSINESS for them.

If there are 40,000 Glocks in NY (not a wild estimate) in the hands of non-LE (if we include retired LE), and of those 40k 2-4k were Glock 36s/G39s (which we can immediately discount), there are some 35k Glocks that would need 7 rds mags instead of downloading 10rds to 7rds, there would be some 60k mags that Glock could make for that existing market, plus two for every Glock sold to NON le moving forward.

The point is, there was already a gal or guy crunching numbers in a cubicle/office at Glock 6hrs after the ink dried on the legislation. If the numbers make sense, they will manufacture the mag.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07   #23
KalashniKEV

Quote:
If there are 40,000 Glocks in NY (not a wild estimate) in the hands of non-LE (if we include retired LE),
My father is retired NYPD and has been assured 100% by his government employee union that retired LEOs will be exempt from the law.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08   #24
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
You're comparing a nationwide market which includes the whole gun-loving American public with the tiny percentage of people living in NY that don't hate guns... and the tiny fraction of that who are not members of the Fudd contingent.

Also, without sidetracking the thread, the "single stack 9mm" thing is a fad that will die. Glock knows this. Nobody serious would willingly sacrifice half of the rounds in their carry gun in order to carry a gun that is .23" thinner but .43" taller (G26 vs. Shield). Only the novelty crowd is crying out for this one.

Please note that I am not, nor did I make any claims to any single stack anything.

Answer these questions:

• Did Glock, after the Clinton Ban of 1994 manufacture a sub-compact pistol with a 10 rd magazine to meet the letter of the law?
  • Did Glock make changes to it's pistols (for example, LCI) to allow for compliance in some states?
Those were my points - that despite what you, or Bren, or anyone else might claim. Glock is a business, and NY (like CA) is a big market, and has politicians with big voices and national ambitions. It would be of benefit to most of us to pay attention.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10   #25
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
My father is retired NYPD and has been assured 100% by his government employee union that retired LEOs will be exempt from the law.

It is my belief that this 7 rd mag limit is going away anyways, and the 10 rd limit will stay in place - as it has now, with no exemption for anyone but active duty LE.

LEOSA did not address mag limits, and unless that changes, NY is NOT going to change it's law to exempt retired LEOs, as it would only further to muddy the waters.