Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:22   #1
kooman

I call B.S.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bull...freak-accident
kooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 21:46   #2
noway

I agree, seems very unlikely a bullet to travel 2Km that 2,000meters and 6,500 feet or over mile and after a ricochet off a boar.

I would like to know the caliber and load and see that boar.

A 308win would have dropped over 45ft at 2K yards, would not be traveling supersonic, probably would be tumbling and not accurate at all. And the energy would be under 300fpe
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58   #3
ChiefWPD

There have been a number of well documented cases of long arm projectiles traveling significant distances (after hitting an object) and killing another person. The Brooklyn NY case where a .303 round bounced off water and hit a young woman in the head as she drove along a highway a mile or more away (Open windows in her car. Event witnessed by a following NYPD lieutenant).

I know of another case, this one in NJ, where some young men were shooting at turtles in a pond and one of their military weapon projectiles (another .30 caliber if I recall) bounced off water and killed a man working on his roof miles away.

But, bouncing off the head of a boar, doing a 90 degree turn, and then killing another man? I'd like to see the ballistic labs report on the spent round first.
Old 02-01-2013, 13:35   #4
countrygun

It is the change in direction that makes it suspicious to me, but it is not completely unheard of especially when "redirected" by contact with an animate object.

As far as distance I can agree with Chief about the distance. I know of one bizarre case, involving an M-2 carbine, that proved the "experts don't know everything about how far a bullet can travel.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:47   #5
Atomic Punk

why is it with all of the super long distance, ricochet, random shots. it always hit somebody in the head?
Atomic Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:53   #6
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Punk View Post
why is it with all of the super long distance, ricochet, random shots. it always hit somebody in the head?
In the case of the car mentioned, how else would it have been fatal? We hear about the fatalities because they are more "newsworthy". I have heard of several fatalities that did not involve a head shot, but cracking the skull is more likely to cause a fatality than cracking a rib.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 14:02   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

Looks like a very standard BS story from somebody who fired in the wrong direction.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 15:19   #8
LAWDOGKMS

When I was an MP, circa 1997, during an evening shooting range session, we were shooting M-16's on a 100 yard range with huge overhead bafflesthat you shot under every 25 yards that absolutely, positively kept you from shooting any higher than about 15 feet up the 35 foot berm, we had a similar incident.

A call came over the radio that a Marine on sentry duty was shot in the calf (approx 1.6 measured miles) from the range, and the Marines were claiming the round escaped our range..

We called B.S. and responded, and arrived and watched an almost perfect 5.56 round that the medic pulled from the wound with medical pliers (don't know the terminology)..

Our first thought was that some Marine was goofing off and shot himself, but if that had been the case, he'd have lost his calf, and the wound looked like someone stabbed him with a pencil..

It was sent the GBI lab and balistically matched to one of the rifles on our range..

I was there, and the round had to have hit a rock near the targets, gone straight-up, and then arced down over a mile away.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself..

I'd have to see/hear more on this story...but like I just wrote, I've seen a round do some silly stuff..

And, shortly thereafter, the range was decommissioned..and I see now that the covered shooting areas, baffles and berm are gone, so I assume it is still decommissioned..

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

Last edited by LAWDOGKMS; 02-01-2013 at 15:21..
LAWDOGKMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 22:38   #9
ChiefWPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Punk View Post
The NJ incident I mentioned had the projectile enter the man's body in the lower back before penetrating into his vitals.

If you review long distance shooting incidents on Google you'll find a remarkable number of bizarre events. A little boy shot, while in church, in Atlanta Georgia a couple of years ago (projectile penetrated the building's roof prior to impacting the child), an Amish girl, in a horse drawn buggy, heading home from a Christmas party, shot and killed when a man, clearing a muzzle-loader by firing it into the air, hit her from a distance of over a mile.

I also suspect that in the Arab world, when you hear reports of people being killed by "snipers," you are in fact reading about victims of the wild and random gunfire going on in some of these spots, especially the celebratory gunfire aimed in the general direction of the sky that seems to be so popular there.

To read up on how projectiles react to being fired into the air read Hatcher's Notebook (by General Julian Hatcher, U.S. Army ret.). Basically, he found that a military round, if fired at a 90 degree angle to the ground, will come down at a terminal velocity that, while it might cause injury, should not have sufficient energy to cause death. The rounds under discussion here are traveling at angles that are likely closer to the forty degree range (wild ***** guess on my part) for them to be lethal at such distances.

Oh, I guess I ought to explain that the lecture titled "Bullet Potential" was one I would routinely give while responsible for the NYPD Firearms and Tactics Unit's Police Firearms Instructors School.
Old 02-02-2013, 22:07   #10
phonejack

I can offer this because I was present. Mid-90's Camp Perry National Matches. A 30 cal. Round hit the upright on a target carrier. Bounced back and hit one of the competitors. It left only a red mark on the skin. Match was shut down for an hour or two while judges and officials verified facts. Bullet was recovered.
phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote