Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2013, 13:14   #1
86brick

Charter Arms 9mm Pitbull revolver.

Anybody have one? How do you like it? Seems like a nice idea, a 6-shot 9mm revolver that doesn't need moonclips.
86brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:27   #2
countrygun

I can't say how well the rimless mechanism works but my .44 Bulldog is a great gun especially for the price and the light weight.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:35   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86brick View Post
Anybody have one? How do you like it? Seems like a nice idea, a 6-shot 9mm revolver that doesn't need moonclips.
It's made by Charter Arms. Back when people regularly carried revolvers, these were classed with Iver Johnson among the cheapo Saturday night specials.
Old 02-01-2013, 13:48   #4
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
It's made by Charter Arms. Back when people regularly carried revolvers, these were classed with Iver Johnson among the cheapo Saturday night specials.

All due respect, in 1969 ALL 2"-3" revolvers were called "Saturday Night Specials" by gun haters. I have bot Iver Johnson and Harrington and Richardson .22s in my collection and they function fine and actually shoot well they just lack a lot of "frills" granted some of the frills we require on more serious guns.

As to the Charter I made quite a bit of coin in range bets on what I could do with one of the original 3" Bulldogs. I gave up on the "Charco" and "Charter 2000" variants but after I saw the new Charter Arms products I bought the new Bulldog 2" without hesitation and it has been great. MY only regret is that they announced the return of the 3" less than two months after I gave up waiting and bought the 2"
Old 02-01-2013, 14:14   #5
4 glocks

The new CA 9mm looks interesting.

I have never gave CA much respect. I bought a Mid 1980's
CA off duty. I got it from a friend so cheap I could not turn it down. All in all it's not a bad gun. It's no Colt, S&W or Ruger
but it will do the job. I do not know anything about the new CA guns.
Old 02-01-2013, 14:59   #6
CAcop

I've been waiting on their .45 model for a back up gun. I may give in and get a 9mm. It might make a pretty good retirement gun or off duty gun.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 15:46   #7
DFin

I would like to get one too or maybe a .40. I have a Charter Arms Undercover snub .38 that I bought new in 1980. There is nothing wrong with it. I later bought a S&W model 60 because the CA was not approved by my Dept. The CA has the following features that are superior to the 60:
Wider hammer spur, bigger sights (thicker front blade & wider channel on top strap), firing pin is not mounted on the hammer & seems more durable. It also has a better trigger than my model 60 and the cylinder can be released by pushing the cylinder latch or by pulling the ejector rod forward. The ejector rod is longer but not as smooth as the 60s'.

Last edited by DFin; 02-01-2013 at 15:48..
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:49   #8
Berto
woo woo

THe tapered case of the 9mmP can sometimes be tricky in revolvers. Along the same lines as the .22 jet in the S&W 53; the cases can back out and jam against the recoil shield, causing the cylinder to bind.
Sometimes it works good for people, sometimes not.
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:22   #9
86brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
THe tapered case of the 9mmP can sometimes be tricky in revolvers. Along the same lines as the .22 jet in the S&W 53; the cases can back out and jam against the recoil shield, causing the cylinder to bind.
Sometimes it works good for people, sometimes not.
I've heard this from a few people that have owned 9mm revolvers. Guess I have to decide whether I want to give one a try.
Old 02-01-2013, 20:27   #10
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86brick View Post
I've heard this from a few people that have owned 9mm revolvers. Guess I have to decide whether I want to give one a try.
You might re-consider getting a 9mm revolver that requires the moon clips. I've never owned one, but have always thought it would be great for reloads.

The price on this SP101 seems high to me, but I haven't been monitoring these recently.......would love to have it, though.

ooc

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=328199800

Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:44   #11
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
You might re-consider getting a 9mm revolver that requires the moon clips. I've never owned one, but have always thought it would be great for reloads.

The price on this SP101 seems high to me, but I haven't been monitoring these recently.......would love to have it, though.

ooc

The new Charters don't use moonclips.
Old 02-01-2013, 20:52   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I might have to get one for giggles but I am not impressed with current or older Charter Arms guns.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-01-2013, 20:54   #13
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
The new Charters don't use moonclips.
Yep, that's what I understand, Country Gun.......I think I'd rather have the moon clips, though.....

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:39   #14
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
All due respect, in 1969 ALL 2"-3" revolvers were called "Saturday Night Specials" by gun haters. I have bot Iver Johnson and Harrington and Richardson .22s in my collection and they function fine and actually shoot well they just lack a lot of "frills" granted some of the frills we require on more serious guns.

As to the Charter I made quite a bit of coin in range bets on what I could do with one of the original 3" Bulldogs. I gave up on the "Charco" and "Charter 2000" variants but after I saw the new Charter Arms products I bought the new Bulldog 2" without hesitation and it has been great. MY only regret is that they announced the return of the 3" less than two months after I gave up waiting and bought the 2"
Countrygun since I load 44 Special by the bucket full I might have to add one just for grins and giggles.
Old 02-01-2013, 21:40   #15
countrygun

Quote:
Yep, that's what I understand, Country Gun.......I think I'd rather have the moon clips, though.....

ooc
I had a 1917 Colt and, for the trouble, and if I was thinking 9mm, I'd as soon have a .38 and speedloaders. Of course as the barrel gets shorter I like heavier bullets in contrast to those who chase velocity, so a .38 would be/is my choice. Of course the only 2" I carry is a .44
Old 02-01-2013, 21:45   #16
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
Countrygun since I load 44 Special by the bucket full I might have to add one just for grins and giggles.
I would get the 3" for two reasons: sight radius, and the lack of a lug which makes opening the cylinder by pulling on the ejector rod an option.
Old 02-01-2013, 21:56   #17
86brick

Quote:

ooc

That is a nice gun, price is definitely steep, but considering Ruger doesn't make them they are probably hard to find.
Old 02-01-2013, 22:47   #18
ronin.45

To me the moon clips are one of the biggest reasons to buy a revolver in an auto cartridge. Loading and ejecting all rounds as a single unit is faster and more reliable. Even with rimmed 38/357 it's not uncommon to have a shell pop off the ejector. A moon clip eliminates that issue. I've not played with CA, but never cared for the aesthetics.