Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 00:11   #41
cliffsta
Who, me?

Seems like everyone here is recommending the Aimpoint and two of the talking points are "precision" and "range"

Well my AR is a personal defense "in the house" gun... so wouldn't the Eotech with the ring be a better option? Faster target acquisition? And its cheaper than an Aimpoint.

Just wondering, since Uncle Barrack is giving me a refund.

NRA Member
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 00:32   #42
Made in Austria

EOTech is where it's at, especially the XPS series. So +1 for EOTech!
Get yourself an EOTech if you like it. I love mine, the Reticle dot sight picture of my XPS 2-0 is great. The Reticle dot configuration makes distance measuring very easy and fast if needed. I also prefer the one MOA dot of the EOTech. The smaller dot doesn't cover up as much of a furhter away target. EOTech's are not intended for longer distances, but it works great for hitting man sized targets 200 meter+ down range. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the EOTech's. Well, the only down side for me of the EOTech is battery life, which is only about 600 hours, but that's no deal breaker for me at all.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 02-14-2013 at 01:11..
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 00:53   #43
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclegto View Post
Picking out a scope, I was leaning towards a red dot sight for about $250. I took a look at a Burris fast fire red dot today and was not too impressed with the red "dot", seemed more like a blob to me. Also, the sight was tiny, looked like it could be knocked off easily. This is the other one I was looking at

Amazon.com: Burris SpeedDot 135 1 x 35mm Red Dot Sights with Weaver-Style Mounting Rings: Sports & Outdoors

Any advice is welcome, can't wait to have this baby ready...
Its your eyes or how youre looking at it. You HAVE to focus on the target NOT the dot. If you look again put it on something at least ten yards away and focus on the target. The dot will crisp up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
Any chance you have an Astigmatism in your eyes? That is a common issue w/ "red dots". TO ME, the EoTechs are unusable, while the Aimpoints are fine.
This too. I have mild astigatism and I also get the blob unless I focus correctly and even then its still blobby sometimes. At the range in the daylight though, the dot is crisp as can be for me, even without glasses.

I have a Burris Fast Fire 2 on my AK. It has stood up to probably 2000 rounds no problem at all. Burris or PA is DEFINITELY the cheapest I would go though. For range and light use the Burris will certainly be a good one for you.

Of course its not going to be as good as the Aimpoint but its certainly worth the 200. I have only used an Aimpoint once and it was when I got to shoot a full auto M4. I had a MONSTROUS **** eating grin after that but it wasnt because of the Aimpoint! I wasnt paying that close attention to the optic really!
NickC50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44   #44
jpwalnuthill

I put a vortex strikefire on my new Bison 6.8 and love it. For less than 200 dollars, cant beat it. Spend money i saved to buy ammo

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
jpwalnuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27   #45
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsta View Post
Seems like everyone here is recommending the Aimpoint and two of the talking points are "precision" and "range"

Well my AR is a personal defense "in the house" gun... so wouldn't the Eotech with the ring be a better option? Faster target acquisition? And its cheaper than an Aimpoint.

Just wondering, since Uncle Barrack is giving me a refund.

I've seen far more EO Tech's fail than Aimpoints. I used to spend a lot of time in military warehouses for work, and I saw far more EO Techs in the return-to-manufacturer and destruction boxes than I did Aimpoints. My personal EO Tech failed (cross-bolt in the mount broke) inside of 6 months, and I replaced it with an Aimpoint M2 that's still going 4 years later - and has only needed 3 new batteries. I think I went through 3 pairs of 123s in the few months I had the EO Tech.
Old 02-14-2013, 19:43   #46
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclegto View Post
well I just realized that for the price of the micro I could have gotten me a nice little xds 45 acp.... buyers remorse?
A little less than 2 years ago I listened to the masses here (and Mr Murphy) and saved a little longer for the H1 w/ LaRue mount. I have not regretted it at all. Could I have gotten another Glock instead? Yeah, but I now have an optic that will probably outlive me, and it's great.
Two points a lot of people sometimes forget to mention;
1) I never turn it off. If something bad happens I just grab the weapon and it's on, ready to go.
2) I'm not going to get called up by the SEALS, but when I'm at the range or the coyotes start going wild in the back field (like two nights ago) and it's raining/sleeting/snowing I can still go out and do what I want without worrying about my optic getting wet. And by the way, I feel the same about my light on the AR.
Buying quality (for me) means I have no limits placed on me or my weapon, no matter the weather. It has nothing to do with being an internet commando.
You'll love it.

Last edited by Teecher45; 02-14-2013 at 19:45..
Teecher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:07   #47
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

We did a test recently timing people with a shot timer in picking up rifles and shooting a 12 yard target twice COM. The comparison was of "always on" sights like Aimpoints, Trijicons, and Leupolds against "need to turn on" sights like Eotech, vortex, and cheaper sights like truglo and BSA. The control was using iron sights. The "always on" group averaged about .2 seconds faster than iron sights while the "need to turn on" sights averaged about .4-.5 seconds slower than irons.

The guy on patrol who can put fresh batteries in his Eotech and leave it on while it is slung is making better use of that sight system than the guy who wants to keep a ready AR in his closet and have it ready to rock.

Different roles require different tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:58   #48
Ruggles

The only downside I see to the Aimpoint Pro is the 2 MOA dot. For me (and just me) it is too small to pick up as quickly as the huge 65 MOA circle of the Eotech. The entire purpose of a sight is for quicker target acquisition therefore the Eotech makes more sense to me. I wish Aimpoint would offer the 4 MOA dot in the Pro.

Lots of great choices these days in AR optics, almost too many to choose from.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 21:17   #49
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
The only downside I see to the Aimpoint Pro is the 2 MOA dot. For me (and just me) it is too small to pick up as quickly as the huge 65 MOA circle of the Eotech. The entire purpose of a sight is for quicker target acquisition therefore the Eotech makes more sense to me. I wish Aimpoint would offer the 4 MOA dot in the Pro.

Lots of great choices these days in AR optics, almost too many to choose from.
How much quicker are you with the eotech than an Aimpoint?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 21:23   #50
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
How much quicker are you with the eotech than an Aimpoint?
No ideal as far timing myself but just that I pick up the small dot much slower than the Eotech huge circle. Like I said it could just be me, but in the end that is of course what matters most to me, how I can utilize it.

I ordered a Trijicon Tri Power today, from what little time I have spent with one the chevron it uses is pretty quick for me to pick up. Time will tell.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:16   #51
jamaicanj

I have a aimpoint comp m4 for rifle usage and the trijicon rmr 02 for my Glock 17. I love them both and have no regrets
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 19:16   #52
philpac33

My two favorites are the Aimpoint PRO and H-1. If you're patient and search your ass off, good deals can be found. Check the Equipment Exchange sections of the many firearm forums. Even Craigslist and Backpage will have the occasional find, especially if you're willing to expand your search area. Get the best mount you can find.

I am also VERY satisfied with my Primary Arms red dots. At $100 or so they are a great value. A better optic than all others under $250 IMHO. Google the reviews, well thought of by several SMEs.
philpac33 is offline   Reply With Quote