SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2013, 18:40   #1
us3

BTF Skeptic, Bought Gen 4 19 With Said Issue, 8 Ammo Test Results

Hello

Long story short: I just bought a new condition Gen 4 19 SN: SYR### Mfg: 04/12/12

The original owner said he shot 600 hundred rounds thought it and it had a BTF issue. (he said brass would hit his head from time to time)

I just shot 8 different kinds of ammo with watching the ejections and here are my results: (thumbs-forward hold)

50 Winchester Ranger T RA9T 147gr
50 Winchester Ranger T RA9124TP +P 124gr
30 Federal HST P9HST4 +P 147gr
30 Federal HST P9HST3 +P 124gr
15 Hornady Critical Defense FTX 115gr
50 PMC Bronze 115gr FMJ
50 Speer Lawman 115gr FMJ
100 Bulletman remans 115gr FMJ

With the 375 rounds of 8 different ammo's I fired today, I did not get one piece of brass anywhere near my face. Understandably the PMC, Hornady and remans did not eject with the same authority as the SD and +P ammo. (but none ejected anywhere near my head, maybe some close to my right side but none strait back)

The bitter-sweet details of the (edit: my) Gen 4: I waited a year to PPT one of these here in CA. It shoots perfect and I like the dual RSA and bigger mag release but I do not like the finger grooves as well as my Gen 3 19. (the frame feels drastically different in my hand, I've been shooting a Gen 3 19 for many years and it fits me like a glove) I will give the Gen 4 one more range trip and if I still can't get the feel of my Gen 3 I will sadly be selling or trading it. Even thought I like the updates, the difference in the finger grooves maybe a deal braker for me. (the Gen 3 feels that much better to me)

Recap for me: if your looking for a new Glock, buy one and shoot it with a few ammo's you like, don't worry too much about others issues, I did and found out a "BTF problem gun" shoots perfect for me.

Thanks

Matt

a pic of the test ammo
General Glocking

Last edited by us3; 02-01-2013 at 19:27..
us3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:44   #2
kodiakpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by us3 View Post

The original owner said he shot 600 hundred rounds thought it and it had a BTF issue. (he said brass would hit his head from time to time)

With the 375 rounds of 8 different ammo's I fired today, I did not get one piece of brass anywhere near my face.

don't worry too much about others issues, I did and found out a "BTF problem gun" shoots perfect for me.

Thanks

Matt
Yep, I'm not surprised at all
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 19:04   #3
bentbiker
NRA Member

I'm a few miles north of you and I also have both Gen3 and Gen4 models. I find the finger grooves positioned identically. Without any backstrap add-ons, the Gen4 is slightly smaller, but I just stacked one atop the other and aside from the short frame (without any added backstrap), I can't see the slightest difference in grips. The Gen4 obviously has the more aggressive RTF3 finish, but that is easily addressed with a sleeve or Talon grip. I admit to being at a loss to understand your perceived difference in the grips. Worst case, please contact me if you wish to dump the Gen4.
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 19:14   #4
us3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
I'm a few miles north of you and I also have both Gen3 and Gen4 models. I find the finger grooves positioned identically. Without any backstrap add-ons, the Gen4 is slightly smaller, but I just stacked one atop the other and aside from the short frame (without any added backstrap), I can't see the slightest difference in grips. The Gen4 obviously has the more aggressive RTF3 finish, but that is easily addressed with a sleeve or Talon grip. I admit to being at a loss to understand your perceived difference in the grips. Worst case, please contact me if you wish to dump the Gen4.

Hi

If you actually look at the profile where the groove wraps around from the frame you can see they are clealy different. (the Gen 3 is more squared off and the Gen 4 is more rounded) I think that is what I'm feeling. The Gen 3 seems snugger in my fingers that the Gen 4.

Aside of our hand and personal differences, take a look at the area I mentioned and you will see a difference in the frames.

It will go on Calguns if I don't keep it.

Thanks

Matt
Old 02-01-2013, 19:37   #5
kodiakpb

The grooves look identical to me. The texture is a little different, but that doesn't affect finger placement. If the Gen 3 fits you better...put the medium backstrap on the Gen 4.

General Glocking
General Glocking
Old 02-01-2013, 19:49   #6
us3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
The grooves look identical to me. The texture is a little different, but that doesn't affect finger placement. If the Gen 3 fits you better...put the medium backstrap on the Gen 4.

General Glocking

Your pic shows the difference I'm talking about. Look at the last 3 blocks at the edge before the side of the frame and you can see the difference.

(I'm a machinist so I may look at molded parts differently than others)

Either way, thanks for the replies and pics guys

Matt

Last edited by us3; 02-01-2013 at 19:50.. Reason: last 3 blocks
Old 02-01-2013, 20:26   #7
kodiakpb

I guess I'm still not sure what your talking about.
Old 02-01-2013, 20:32   #8
kodiakpb

Ok I know what you're talking about now. Although they may look larger and more "squared" off... they are also more recessed in the Gen 3. Put the medium backstrap on and see what you think.
Old 02-01-2013, 20:33   #9
us3

Quote:
I guess I'm still not sure what your talking about.
sorry but my response will be yours (your full circle man)

Quote:
Yep, I'm not surprised at all
Old 02-01-2013, 20:51   #10
dhgeyer

I don't know if the major changes to the frame happened gen1 to gen2, gen2 to gen3, or gen3 to gen4. I know that they used to call these guns "Blocks", and I could definitely see (well, feel) why when I had a gen1. I like the gen4 much better, apparently for the exact reason you don't. All a matter of what you like, and what you're used to, I guess.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:21   #11
ScottieG59

My Glock 19 Gen 4 has been perfect. The test shot was in July 2012. Right away, I could see why people love the Glock 19. My only change was installing a nice set of night sights. I never saw any strange brass ejection with anything I have used, including cheap white box stuff.

I know some people have issues with a Glock grip, but I found if your grip is right, it is perfect.

Anyway, many people may have ejection issues that may be related to their grip and/or loose wrists. Initially, Glock may have had some issues with Gen4 9mm pistols, but they seemed to have been fixed as far as I can see.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:33   #12
J_P

I own two early model Gen4 glocks both have been flawless from day one! I've never bought into the whole BTF issue, I've fired thousands of rounds though both never an issue, maybe I got working guns but I've yet to come across any person on a range with BTF issues within the three ranges I attend. Despite the Internet BTF issues I've always told people to ignore the hype and go for it. Even if you "happen" to get a defective gun which I know can happen with anything mechanical, glock will take care of you!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
J_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 22:46   #13
jtrudel31

I've never seen Btf out of a glock . Lol . Not . I still like the gen 4 though .
jtrudel31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:22   #14
us3

Hi

I played with these all night and figured out I'd be very happy with either one for the reasons stated. (I can deal with the groove difference)

I'm offering both on Calguns and will keep which ever one does not sell/trade. (or gladly hang onto both if there's no interest)

Thanks

Matt
Old 02-02-2013, 14:28   #15
Markel

FWIW, my Gen4 23 didn't start until 2,000 rounds. Now I get 1 or 2 per mag.
Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 15:46   #16
us3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markel View Post
FWIW, my Gen4 23 didn't start until 2,000 rounds. Now I get 1 or 2 per mag.

I've heard 1k as well. This gun has just under that and shoots perfect for me.

The original owner had the issue and I don't so I'm not sure what to think. If I keep it and the issue arises I will post back in this thread.

Thanks

Matt