Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 16:26   #1
45ACP223

Glock 30 powder residue on case, normal?

Hi, I'm new to Glocks and have a question. I was at the range over the weekend and noticed they every round fired from the Glock 30 had a heavy sooty powder residue on one side of the case. Just curious if that is the norm? I fired both cheap Winchester FMJ and some Winchester +P HP's and saw the same thing.
45ACP223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 19:27   #2
lyodbraun

yes I get some that are like that as well from my G30... nothing to worry about...
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 21:31   #3
45ACP223

Thanks for the reply, I guess maybe the brass isn't fully supported and we get some blowback.
Old 01-29-2013, 21:34   #4
proguide

I get that on both my 21's and a 30
proguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 22:26   #5
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by proguide View Post
I get that on both my 21's and a 30
Same here. I get it on all of my guns and in all calibers.

It's caused by the cartridge case failing to seal the chamber perfectly and allowing burning propellant to escape past the case wall and deposit soot.

Not a big deal.
Old 01-29-2013, 23:26   #6
45ACP223

Thanks all! I kind of thought it wasn't an issue, but never had that on my 1911A1. A bud was there shooting an HK 9mm and he picked up a case and said what's going on with this? His 9mm didn't have that either.

Maybe I'm a wimp, but the G30 has quite a lot of recoil/muzzle lift even with the Federal Estate FMJ's. The HST HP +P was about the same, perhaps slightly more but not that much different. I know the 230gr bullet has a lot to do with it, but after all the threads I've read on how mild the recoil was compared to the G36, I was a bit surprised. Using a two hand hold, left thumb forward, after the first few rounds my trigger finger hurt a bit and the palm definately felt it. This being my 1st Glock, perhaps I'm just not used to the plastic frame/grip. It got a little better after a few mags (maybe I was getting used to it), but had some trouble aquiring the target quickly for a rapid fire string. At 10-15 yrds. I was able to group fairly well, but at 25 yrds. I was on, but all over the paper. I just picked up some Winchester White Box so, I may try next. I have to say, that the stock trigger was great. My bud with the HK 9mm said it was much better than his :-)

Last edited by 45ACP223; 01-29-2013 at 23:28..
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42   #7
ca survivor

it's normal, in some rounds, it depends in the powder, primer and bullet combination in the specific loading the manufactured used.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 14:27   #8
proguide

[QUOTE=45ACP223;19928187]Thanks all! I kind of thought it wasn't an issue, but never had that on my 1911A1.

1911's will usually have tighter tolerances while a round is chambered sealing off the case. Glock have loose tolerances as a whole. This "slop" lends to most reliability claims. Combat tolerances to some.
proguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:54   #9
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 7 View Post
Same here. I get it on all of my guns and in all calibers.

It's caused by the cartridge case failing to seal the chamber perfectly and allowing burning propellant to escape past the case wall and deposit soot.

Not a big deal.
Kind of, but not really. In most auto-pistol cartridges, in most chambers, there is sufficient seal regardless of chamber support. When the cartidge is fired, the bullet "uncrimps" and leaves the case mouth and enters the rifling. There are 2 or 3 small pressure spikes associated with this. However, once the base of the bullet has left the cartridge case, the more elastic portion of the case (from about the midpoint to the case mouth) contracts some while the base is left sealed. This creates a vacuum between the chamber wall and the outside of the case in relation to the still high pressures in the barrel. The hot gases hit the cooler side of the barrel and quench creating incomplete combustion and thus the soot deposits.

Sure, in cases of slow powders and or very low pressure rounds, there are similar observations, but the particle size is much larger due to this occurance.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54   #10
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45ACP223 View Post
Maybe I'm a wimp, but the G30 has quite a lot of recoil/muzzle lift even with the Federal Estate FMJ's. The HST HP +P was about the same, perhaps slightly more but not that much different. I know the 230gr bullet has a lot to do with it, but after all the threads I've read on how mild the recoil was compared to the G36, I was a bit surprised. Using a two hand hold, left thumb forward, after the first few rounds my trigger finger hurt a bit and the palm definately felt it.
Man... I have nevver found the recoil of the 30 to be bad. My advice... stay away from shooting a 27 or 29 then!
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53   #11
FNFAN

Often seen with low pressure ammo and guns that don't have excessively tight chambers. The case doesn't expand to fill the chamber quickly enough to prevent powder residue from blowing back on the outside of the case.

Buy some high velocity ammo and you'll likely have nice, shiny, ejected brass!
FNFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 18:21   #12
45ACP223

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
Often seen with low pressure ammo and guns that don't have excessively tight chambers. The case doesn't expand to fill the chamber quickly enough to prevent powder residue from blowing back on the outside of the case.

Buy some high velocity ammo and you'll likely have nice, shiny, ejected brass!
I shot some HST+P and the cases looked the same. When I get back in town, I'll snap a photo of the cases.
Old 01-31-2013, 19:31   #13
ninjag19

I had a similar concern when I was doing some custom work on my WW2 Walther P38! I can't say though that the sooty areas were alarmingly bad, just black discoloration around the upper 1/3 open area. After a lot of "don't worry" type of feedbacks, I felt better, but much better when I started comparing different ammo. In that gun I stick to FMJ 115 gr. Some ammo, like Magtech, left shell casings quite clean and "normal" looking, while Winchester seemed the worse. It is notable that your observation was that the shells were very dirty or dark, I'm not so sure that that fits in the normal range. I hope that other ammo works out well for you!
ninjag19 is offline   Reply With Quote