Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:40   #1
Huskytaio

Glock holding back on mags?

This might sound insane, but has anyone thought that Glock might be holding back on restocking mags to see what happens in Congress? Granted, the demand is extremely high, but you can't even find 10 or 9 round mags, and they are not even part of the possible AWB.

If they pass the restriction on mag capacity, Glock can release the mags at a much higher price knowing this is our last chance. If the high mag restriction does not get passed, they would be in a position to sell at or at least near the regular prices. Put yourself in their shoes. I have something in my possession that might be worth $30, or if this bill is passed,worth $100, which is what I have been seeing some mags go for. Wouldn't you might want to hesitate and see what happens? That would be a huge profit margin difference.

Just a thought.
Huskytaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44   #2
Leigh

I don't think they do business that way.
Glock handguns have increased in price at a snail's pace compared to most.
The same goes for their magazines.
my first NIB Glock cost me $339!
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47   #3
DannyR

I work at Gander Mountain. Gander is out of all 10+ round magazines, not just Glock magazines. The shortage is due to panic buyers.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47   #4
SJ 40

A more likely scenario would be that for every pistol they produce they need two to three magazines to go with said pistol.
For their LE customers they most likely need Magazines to comply with what ever the contract specs. There are conspiracies but not everything is a conspiracy.
SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 01-31-2013 at 10:49.. Reason: eta
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48   #5
Ratrod

Checkout this thread it seems that they cant meet up with demand right now
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...1468299&page=2
Ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54   #6
Noponer

I agree with Leigh... Glock does not do business that way.

In fact, just before the 1994 ban, Glock offered 9mm & .40 mags for $10.40 & .45 mags (G21) for $12.00 direct from the factory. Store prices then were $25-$35 each. The limited it to 3 or 4 mags per customer (I forget). A couple of friends & I drove down to Smyrna (60 miles) & bought our limit. When the ban was lifted in 2004, prices on new mags hit rock bottom. I bought a bunch for an average of $15 each.

There has been a lot of price gouging going on over the years by dealers & maybe distributers, but not by Glock, Inc. to my knowledge.

Last edited by Noponer; 01-31-2013 at 10:57..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01   #7
4095fanatic

I would bet money they wouldn't. They might profit for a few months... And it'd take decAdes for them to rebuild trust among gun owners.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26   #8
PAGunner

Relatively speaking, Glock mags are actually in abundance compared to other mags. Yes panic buyers have wiped out all stock everywhere but Glock mags seem to be comic into stock way more frequently than other mags. Kudos to Glock on the job they're doing keeping up with demand!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45   #9
Rleee

Sounds like gunshop talk to me.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53   #10
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Money is the great motivator. Glock will continue to sell whatever product they have in inventory that will make a reasonable profit.

They will try to sell any and all mags they have, and if a new law makes more than 10 rounds illegal, they will have sold as many of the "pre-law" they could, just to get them off the inventory.

If a new law passes, they will adjust their manufacturing to include compliance. You can bet they have already determined how to do this and have alerted their suppliers to possible modifications in the process, if it becomes necessary.

In the meantime, they will sell all and any they have, while it is still legal.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:53   #11
Huskytaio

This is reassuring to hear such support for Glock. I have been an active shooter since discharge from the military in 1977, but did not get into Glocks until they came out with the Gen 4. The Gen 4 was finally a Glock that felt good in my small hands, and I love the new textured grips.
Huskytaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 13:45   #12
Saberman

I talked to Glock they said that they are only selling to military and LEO now.
Saberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 14:40   #13
banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskytaio View Post
This might sound insane, but has anyone thought that Glock might be holding back on restocking mags to see what happens in Congress? Granted, the demand is extremely high, but you can't even find 10 or 9 round mags, and they are not even part of the possible AWB.

If they pass the restriction on mag capacity, Glock can release the mags at a much higher price knowing this is our last chance. If the high mag restriction does not get passed, they would be in a position to sell at or at least near the regular prices. Put yourself in their shoes. I have something in my possession that might be worth $30, or if this bill is passed,worth $100, which is what I have been seeing some mags go for. Wouldn't you might want to hesitate and see what happens? That would be a huge profit margin difference.

Just a thought.

Do you have a crystal ball?

How on Earth do you know just what any new AWB would allow/ grandfather/ or how quickly it could take effect.

Simply by way of example...Virtually everyone thinks in terms of a 10 round magazine capacity...Then along comes New York state who says the new limit is....is...eh....SEVEN, yeah that's it seven rounds.

So...there goes your theory on Glock holding back on selling magazines.

If this were to happen, Glock would be sitting on untold thousands of useless magazines sitting in warehouses.

I simply don't see this as a reasonable theory.
banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 15:20   #14
Dmax07

I read somewhere that the British are going to glock and have ordered 26,000 for their forces. I would think that would dry up the production for a while.

Anybody know what their production rates are?
Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 15:27   #15
wacopolumbo

Was at the base exhange today and the gun counter manager said that Glock wasn't shipping mags to hardly anyone right now, the word he had was they were filling military LEO orders first before the civilian mags go out.

Learning from my mistakes since 1974
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 15:30   #16
John_NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
Relatively speaking, Glock mags are actually in abundance compared to other mags. Yes panic buyers have wiped out all stock everywhere but Glock mags seem to be comic into stock way more frequently than other mags. Kudos to Glock on the job they're doing keeping up with demand!
Agree. The prices have gone up but they are still out there.

Donít respond to the stupidity of a fool; youíll only look foolish yourself. Proverbs 26:4
John_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 15:40   #17
DannyR

Glock produces around 60,000 pistols per month. In May 2012 they were backordered 522,000 pistols.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 16:12   #18
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
I work at Gander Mountain. Gander is out of all 10+ round magazines, not just Glock magazines. The shortage is due to panic buyers.
I'd tell people I was a piano player in a cat house before I admitted to working the gun counter at Gander!
Old 01-31-2013, 16:25   #19
CincyBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacopolumbo View Post
Was at the base exhange today and the gun counter manager said that Glock wasn't shipping mags to hardly anyone right now, the word he had was they were filling military LEO orders first before the civilian mags go out.
Military and LEO production always moves to the front of the line, it's nothing new, ammo manufacturers do the same thing. Glock hasn't stopped production of civilian mags, and won't be stopping it either.
Ohio Glockers #58
CincyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 16:40   #20
James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberman View Post
I talked to Glock they said that they are only selling to military and LEO now.
Thats not good news
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote