Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2013, 23:45   #1
billdean

BlueDot to much?

When I first started reloading I would read the info in this forum without any regards as to the information being right or wrong. Or I would over look small details pertinent to the safe reloading of the 10mm round. At the time I was more interested in loading the nuclear rounds; heavy bullets, fast speeds and pushing the capabilities of the 10mm cartridge. That was 8 or 10 years ago. I have learned a lot from knowledgeable people here on this forum and have learned not to trust what is written here without first comparing all elements of the loads, and firearms used in their test as well as looking to actually see what the max charge is in different reloading manuals. I believe I know the answer to my question but I though I would put it out there for discussion.

I have 800 rounds of 10mm reloaded ammo done on a 550B Dillon press when I first started reloading. Here's the Spec's.

New Starline or Winchester Brass,
CCI Magnum Pistol Primers,
12 grains of Blue Dot Powder,
200 grain Montana Gold
1.260 OAL.

All rounds have been checked with a case gauge. If the rounds were shot they would be shot from a G20 with a standard KKM aftermarket barrel and a 22 lb spring. I believe the rounds should be disassemble. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by billdean; 02-04-2013 at 00:05..
billdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 23:58   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

What bullet weight? If 180 or above, I would agree with pulling them down.

Did you do careful workups initially?
Old 02-04-2013, 00:08   #3
billdean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
What bullet weight? If 180 or above, I would agree with pulling them down.

Did you do careful workups initially?
Bullet are 200 Grain Montana Gold

Probably not as careful as I am today.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01   #4
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

If they were 10.2 grains of Blue Dot I'd say you were OK...12.0 Grains is way too much!

I shoot 10.5 BD with Hornady 200XTP's from my pistol and consider it to be MAX! Some have seen light smiles in their guns and primers are going to start to flatten out!

Get the kinetic puller out confirm your loads to be what you think is in there, if tey are at 12.0 grains pull them... :(
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24   #5
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
Get the kinetic puller out confirm your loads to be what you think is in there, if tey are at 12.0 grains pull them... :(
Yikes... do this.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:02   #6
Sierra9

I reload 10mm using Blue Dot and would never use that much powder behind a 200 gr. bullet in 10mm. Pull them.
Sierra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:26   #7
TDC20

Add me to column advising to pull them. I did my original 180gr. Win. FMJ load work-up to the max book 11.0gr. Blue Dot using standard CCI #300 primers, and pressure was mild and all was well. I switched the primers to CCI#350 magnums with otherwise the same recipe, and wow! 90fps more velocity but the brass (case head expansion) went from almost no measurable pressure signs to some serious deformation compared to other "hot" reloads I have made with other powders and bullets. With the components that I have on hand (my powder and primer lot), there's no way I would load or shoot 12.0 gr behind a 200gr bullet with a magnum primer. It's better to be conservative and play it safe, than to KB your Glock, or worse, seriously injure yourself.
Old 02-05-2013, 00:40   #8
dm1906
Retired SO

+1. Pull 'em.

I shoot that load, and more, in my Ruger (Super Blackhawk), but would never consider that for an auto pistol. The 22# spring will delay your KB! about 1 ms.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22   #9
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
I shoot 10.5 BD with Hornady 200XTP's from my pistol and consider it to be MAX! Some have seen light smiles in their guns and primers are going to start to flatten out!(
Yeah, 10.5gr is warm, 12.0gr you better have your wife post a Youtube video for us to use you as an example.

12.0gr BD with a 200gr anything is not acceptable in the 10mm. This is what angers me the most about the 10mm. You want to push the envelope, go work in a post office.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49   #10
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Hello freakshow, this guy must be busy snatch'n bullets! Pulling some would reveal if they are what he thinks, weighing bullet will show if they also as heavy as he reports. That's one of the features of handloading, you can undo things just to see or fix a problem!

As a reminder, BillDean is in Alaska where extreme temps are said to effect spikes in pressure from Blue Dot!
Old 02-05-2013, 17:55   #11
billdean

Yes, I have been pulling bullets. I did 200 hundred rounds last night. Why I have them labeled as 12 grains I will never no. The ones I have done so far have 10 grains of bluedot. I will have to pull the other 600 hundred just to feel comfortable shooting them.
Old 02-05-2013, 18:02   #12
billdean

[QUOTE=_

As a reminder, BillDean is in Alaska where extreme temps are said to effect spikes in pressure from Blue Dot![/QUOTE]

Shadow, could you comment more on this. The temp can be very extreme here -80 to +40 in the winter.
Old 02-05-2013, 18:07   #13
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdean View Post
Yes, I have been pulling bullets. I did 200 hundred rounds last night. Why I have them labeled as 12 grains I will never no. The ones I have done so far have 10 grains of bluedot. I will have to pull the other 600 hundred just to feel comfortable shooting them.

`Stuff happens....Good move to un-do & check the stuff....best to be safe friend.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:14   #14
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Pull em all :-)
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:31   #15
jspook
it's all over

check them on a good set of digital scales. 2 grain's is a lot in 10mm. weigh the bullet you just checked that had the 10 gr.s in it case, bullet, powder , primer all together. it may help find the one's that are 12 gr.s a little faster.
jspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:29   #16
TDC20

You can tell if they're CCI#300 std. or CCI#350 magnum primers by the color of the explosive primer material inside. Standard is yellow, magnum is orange. I'm not sure if other primer brands have this distinction. You might be able to see it just by looking through the flash hole with a small light, but if you have to decap one, be sure to wear eye protection. Primers are a lot more dangerous than they look.
Old 02-05-2013, 19:38   #17
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Quote:
Shadow, could you comment more on this. The temp can be very extreme here -80 to +40 in the winter.
There was a low temp warning prior to this one for 357 and 41 Magnum. It seems they removed that page...http://www.alliantpowder.com/safety/safetynotice.htm

Quote:

At Alliant Powder, we take safety seriously. That’s why we periodically test our products in different situations to be sure our use recommendations stay current. Check here for any safety notes or recall information. Stay safe and keep accurate.

Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.

During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

* Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
* Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).

Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44   #18
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Holy crap did you say you were using one of the hammer kinetic pullers...

How's your arm feeling