Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:36   #1
chrisw

Gen 2 buyers guide?

I am looking to add a 2nd gen glock 19 to my collection as I already have 2 3rd gens 19's and really like my girlfriend's 2nd gen. I have managed to find one but what things if any should I pay attention to that may be 2nd gen specific issues? Thanks!
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 19:48   #2
Z71

First gen and earlier second gen G17 and G19 were/are subject to the six part upgrade. A small bit of research and a visual inspection will tell if any particular pistol has been upgraded. Could probably call Glock too.

Two piece recoilspring systems...work fine..new one piece spring/guide-rod is nicer/newer/better.

The old NFML mags may be encountered. They probably won't drop-free(which doesn't bug me much)...and they bulge when loaded...and I've seen these split-out(well used mags)...newer FML mags I've not had issues with even old and decrepit looking ones.
Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12   #3
chrisw

So this upgrade can be done after the fact? So for buying the pistol up front if it is not newer it isn't permanent and can be upgraded just the same?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47   #4
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
So this upgrade can be done after the fact? So for buying the pistol up front if it is not newer it isn't permanent and can be upgraded just the same?
Yep you can update the parts yourself or send to Glock. I bought an older Gen 2 G17 last year that had not had the "upgrade." I replaced the old ones in a couple minutes.

Google Glock 6 part upgrade and you'll get all the info you need.

You can order all the needed items online from Midway, Lone Wolf or wherever.

I would inspect the frame closely. That's about the only item on the firearm that you could not replace. Make sure there is no excessive wear or cracks. Next I would look over the slide and breechface for the same. Check the bore and barrel lugs. Everything else is cheaply swapped out. As far as finish wear on the slide, up to you what is acceptable since it's really a cosmetic issue.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-02-2013 at 10:51..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:03   #5
Photoman642

I recently bought a Gen 2 G17 and it was so original and clean I wasn't concerned at all about any problems. I haven't shot it yet. It still has the original "black" parts and I need to figure out if I'm going to upgrade the gun or not.

Last edited by Photoman642; 02-02-2013 at 11:42..
Photoman642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:47   #6
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoman642 View Post
I recently bought a Gen 2 G17 and it was so original and clean I wasn't concerned at all about any problems. I haven't shot it yet. It still has the original "black" parts and I need to figure out if I'm going to upgrade the gun or not.
That's what mine had plus the uncaptured guide rod and spring. I replaced them but kept the old parts sorted. If it ever gets sold or goes to a new home the originals will go with it.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
Old 02-02-2013, 19:12   #7
chrisw

Ok thanks. So it sounds like the older ones are just as good as the 3rd gen I trust, I just need to ensure no damage to critical components.
Old 02-02-2013, 22:39   #8
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Ok thanks. So it sounds like the older ones are just as good as the 3rd gen I trust, I just need to ensure no damage to critical components.
Yep. Just as good if not better in some opinions. I prefer them as I do not like the finger grooves on the newer models. I'll snap up a good condition Gen 2 G17 or G19 in a heartbeat.

Under the important information sub forum is a thread with owner reported serial numbers and dates. You can use that to get an idea what year it was made. Also there is info listed in there when certain changes showed up.

For 9mm I like Gen 2 best then Gen 3. Any other caliber I would personally be more inclined to a Gen 4.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-02-2013 at 22:40..