Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 00:06   #1
rl356

Picking up a model 20 tomorrow.

I had been looking all over for a 3rd gen model 20 and had not had much luck in locating one. Never one in the case at my local gun shops. Finally found a brand new, unfired, specimen being sold by an individual. We came to an agreement we can both live with and I'm meeting up in the morning to make the deal. I can't wait. I'll be headed straight from there to a few gun shops to shop around for ammo and to hopefully get some range time in. I've heard that the lower cost 10mm rounds aren't loaded much hotter than what .40s&w is. Can anyone confirm this information? If that is the case, which factory loaded target ammo would be recommended to get the best bang for your buck? I've heard that buffalo bore makes some pretty hot 10mm, but I don't know that that particular brand would be something that the LGS would keep on the shelf. How does defensive ammo stack up? I tend to favor Hornady XTP's and Gold Dots in my other handgun calibers. Any particular ammo I should steer clear of? I apologize for the multiple questions, I'm just new to the caliber and looking to gather as much information as I can. Will post pics later on for those that want to see them. And a range report too if I'm able to get a stall.
rl356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 00:31   #2
Ski2me
Glock Envy

Congrats! I had a 20C that I sold and wish I hadn't and now have a 20sf. I love them. As far as factory ammo I usually go with American Eagle or Bitterroot Valley Ammunition. They are usually the cheapest (around 30.00 to 35.00) and shoot great. If you're going to shoot much and aren't independently wealthy you'll probably want to reload. The cost is within a couple of penny's per round of reloading 40S&W. Same powder, same bullets, primers are the same price, brass usually costs a bit more.

Again, congratulations and have a great time

The info above is related to target shooting. When I'm on the ranch or in the mountains I use Buffalo Bore. I'd feel secure using these for about anything short of a Grizzly.

Last edited by Ski2me; 02-02-2013 at 00:49..
Ski2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 00:42   #3
vis35

Congrats on your G20! It is the most popular Glock up here in Alaska.

Federal American eagle 10MM is not much more than .40 S&W, a 180 gr. FMJ @ 1030FPS.

The Remington UMC equivalent is better, 180 FMJ @ 1150 FPS.

Federal Hydro-Shok and Winchester silver tips are loaded light, the Hornady XTP’s are better.

Buffalo Bore offers a 200 Grain FMJ @ 1200 FPS, the preferred Alaska bear load for the 10MM. Cor-Bon offers an equivalent, but I prefer the BB.

Beware of lead bullet loads (Buffalo Bore and Double Tap offer them in 10MM), one box should not produce enough leading to be dangerous, but no leading is better, just avoid them.

10MM ammo is in short supply up here right now but you will probably have better luck outside (that is Alaska-speak for the south 48 states) where 10MM is less popular.
- Tang Dynasty
vis35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 00:45   #4
caponec2

i have some double-tap jhp 10mm id sell.. PMed
caponec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09   #5
rl356

Quote:
Originally Posted by caponec2 View Post
i have some double-tap jhp 10mm id sell.. PMed
Much appreciated. Response sent.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43   #6
bac1023

Congrats on the G20.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00   #7
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

The G20 is expensive to feed, and ammo is hard to come by for the 10mm, but your best best is to look online at Underwood ammo. . Their prices are good and they are loaded warmer. Stock runs low frequently though, however they do offer their warmer ammo using XTP and Gold Dot bullets. Speer themselves don't load for the 10mm at all, and Hornady 10mm is mid-level, but not bad overall. Underwood Ammo is still your best bet.

It's not as cheap as reloading, which is almost required if you plan on shooting the 10mm much, or you could buy a .40 barrel for the G20 since .40 ammo is much more widely available and has a broader selection of self defense loads.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 02-02-2013 at 09:06..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19   #8
wdp

Congrats on your G20. I take mine backwoods on hunting and hiking expeditions. So far all the advise here is spot-on. I found some 180 gr. BB at Cabelas when visiting the CT store last year. The advertised data is indeed hot but I never crono'd them for sure. For plinking the American Eagle by Federal cost is somewhat reasonable enough. Start saving your brass and reload down the road.
One more thing, many advocate changing the RSA out to a heavier spring. I have not done so and so far I have no malfunctions but I does have some merit if you plan on shooting only stiff loads. This might be something to consider with experience. Good luck to you!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:31   #9
dakrat

Congrats on the 20. its the only 10mm I would consider at the moment. anything off the shelf is great for general shooting/defense. for bear country, I would look at Buffalo Bore and Doubletap.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53   #10
TheGrimReaper

Congrats on the G20....nest you'll want a G29! It happened to me!
TheGrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:17   #11
TomAiello

Get some Underwood ammo if you can. It's almost all sold out in the current madness, but it's the best value for real 10mm loadings unless you're going to load your own.
TomAiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:00   #12
Glock Master

Congrats on the G20!
Glock Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:41   #13
rl356

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359835974.647219.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	230927

Here it is. Well worth the wait. I did not get the opportunity to get on the range with it as the range I go to is temporarily shut down for maintenance. I did find some ammo though. I called around to a few places to gather prices. Several shops had nothing in 10mm. Found two shops relatively close that had any. One shop had only two kinds (PPU and Blazer) and no defensive rounds at all. The other had target and defense ammo. Target ammo was American Eagle, defensive ammo was Hornady XTP. I chose to go there since they had both types. Picked up 3 boxes of AE and 2 boxes of Hornady. Also picked up some AE .357sig for my 33 while I was there. Probably spent more on it than I really had to, but cash doesn't spend well online, and had I deposited the cash the Mrs would have certainly found a better use (to her) for it.

I brought it home to clean it as I do with any firearm I acquire, it's just something that I have to do. Initial cleaning always starts with a detail strip of the slide, and sometimes the frame/receiver depending on appearance. Slide always gets broken down though to simply make sure that there is no lube in any place that doesn't need it. In the case of this model 20, I did a complete disassembly and cleaning of the frame and slide. Whoever assembled this weapon in the factory wanted to make sure that they got enough of the bronze colored grease on it, as it was in larger quantities than usual, and was all over. I have never seen one with that much of that lube on it. I cleaned it up and lubed with ballistol.

I had been thinking of getting both .49 and .357 conversion barrels for it just for versatility. Will the G20 mags work with those conversions? Thanks all for the helpful ammo recommendations. I will be checking out underwood very shortly, and I definitely have to find some buffalo bore just to have some and try it out.
Old 02-02-2013, 16:29   #14
G36shooter

Congrats on your 20, love my gen4,20. For SD ammo I use Win. STHP they run about 1170fps out of the stock brl. the Blazzer 200gr 945fps To get the max today you might want to roll your own, enjoy.
G36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 17:01   #15
rl356

Are they using Gen4 trigger bars in new Gen3 pistols? I noticed while disassembled that the trigger bar looks like that of the Gen4. Has the dimple that rides the inside of the slide to keep the bar centered on the firing pin safety, and has the curve where the trigger spring connects.
Old 02-02-2013, 18:04   #16
Cwlongshot

CONGRATS on your new FAVORITE Glock!! I know its one of mine!!!

As stated, to truly enjoy this new addition save your brass and start reloading it!!

CW

Last edited by Cwlongshot; 02-02-2013 at 18:15..
Cwlongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:40   #17
rl356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
CONGRATS on your new FAVORITE Glock!! I know its one of mine!!!

6in Silvertip.MP4 - YouTube

As stated, to truly enjoy this new addition save your brass and start reloading it!!

CW
I've thought about reloading my own ammunition on several occasions, but simply never went through with getting the equipment. The start-up cost of doing it the way I know I would want to do it (progressive), combined with having a very small amount of time to devote to the actual process of sitting down and making rounds, are the two main reasons I haven't pursued it further.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54   #18
Jimbojo

Congratulations on the new G20, I just picked up a G20sf gen 3 (used) last week, I replaced the recoil guide spring to a 20lb and put an extended slide stop release. I got to take out yesterday and I have to say I am pretty impressed. The recoil is not that much worse than a 40. I was using some HPR 180 grain hollow points, not cheap at $37 a box(50), but they were available at the LGS.
Jimbojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 18:47   #19
rl356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbojo View Post
Congratulations on the new G20, I just picked up a G20sf gen 3 (used) last week, I replaced the recoil guide spring to a 20lb and put an extended slide stop release. I got to take out yesterday and I have to say I am pretty impressed. The recoil is not that much worse than a 40. I was using some HPR 180 grain hollow points, not cheap at $37 a box(50), but they were available at the LGS.
If I end up feeding mine a steady diet of full power loads, I'll pick up the extra power RSA. Other than that, I'll keep everything else stock.
Old 02-04-2013, 00:30   #20
ak 47

Send a message via Skype™ to ak 47
i got the G20 not to long ago really love it alot it is a keeper
ak 47 is offline   Reply With Quote