Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:22   #1
KK40384

Delaware Machinery stripped lower

After reading up on them a bit I decided to order a couple. I know some were out of spec and some were good. Well out of the 2 I got one is perfect and the 2nd was out of spec a touch. Luckily it was only at the front takedown pin where the upper slides in. The gap was too tight and needed to be opened up a bit (see pic). A small file and some elbow grease and fits like a dream. Of course the finish needs to be redone but that's ok. I planned on duracoating one in FDE anyways so no harm done. I guess if you're planning on a build that's going to require refinishing, then at $65 each you can't go wrong but if be hesitant to buy one if you don't plan on refinishing since it could be slightly out of spec and you may need to "fit" it. That said, would I buy one again? In a perfect world when options are available under $100? No. But since all this AWB talk had everything sold out I took a chance.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00   #2
KK40384

After some Duracoat in FDE

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-03-2013, 12:05   #3
Made in Austria

Looks great! I love FDE.
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:56   #4
KK40384

Thanks

Old 02-03-2013, 15:58   #5
pgg00

Sweet. May need to pick up some myself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:27   #6
Doc McGlock

Being new to the AR world, I think I know the answer to my question but would love to hear some answers, why a stripped vs full lower? Are there different trigger mechanisms for different builds?

Where would one start to learn the building process?
Doc McGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:35   #7
Ruggles

I agree in todays world that is a good deal. Nothing wrong there. Nice Duracoat as well
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:37   #8
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McGlock View Post
Being new to the AR world, I think I know the answer to my question but would love to hear some answers, why a stripped vs full lower? Are there different trigger mechanisms for different builds?

I bought built AR lowers first and then stripped lowers to build myself. I did so that if I ever had to replace parts, rebuild etc I would know how. Other than that I see no reason to buy a stripped vs a full lower. I guess you could buy over time and build slowly and save money that way but I do not have that kind of patience.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 23:23   #9
KK40384

Quote:

Here's why I build them from parts vs buying a complete rifle: I like to configure my rifle a certain way. I have yet to find a quality one built the way I want it. Sure you can buy one then swap out parts with the ones you like (stock, grip, rails, trigger etc). I get the parts I want, choose a quality barrel and BCG, put it together and have a rifle I want without all the extra parts to stash away or sell. And I enjoy assembling it. Is it cheaper? Not really. Does it come with a warranty? No but you built it, therefore you understand how it goes together and functions so a fix is no big deal.

Old 02-05-2013, 23:48   #10
Cole125
Silver Membership

Nice. FDE is the best color for ARs.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 00:23   #11
Doc McGlock

Are there lowers to seek and those to avoid? I have great eye hand coordination and can read any schematic. What do I look for and what to avoid. I would love nothing better than to build an AR 15.

Op, I apologize for the hijack, your work is fantastic and only want to learn.
Old 02-06-2013, 00:25   #12
pgg00

My Google fu sucks. I can't find any for that price :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34   #13
KK40384

Quote:
Are there lowers to seek and those to avoid? I have great eye hand coordination and can read any schematic. What do I look for and what to avoid. I would love nothing better than to build an AR 15.

Op, I apologize for the hijack, your work is fantastic and only want to learn.
I would avoid Delaware Machinery unless you plan on refinishing as some fitment may be required. For your first build look for a good mil spec lower such as PSA, Spikes, Stag, DPMS etc. All should serve you well. Good luck finding one right now due to the AWB talk by our "leaders".

Old 02-06-2013, 08:35   #14
KK40384

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgg00 View Post
My Google fu sucks. I can't find any for that price :(
Yea prices jumped sky high after Sandy Hook. I ordered them the day of before everyone went on a crazy buying spree. I was offered $300 a piece for them when I picked them up at my LGS.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:50   #15
Doc McGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK40384 View Post
I would avoid Delaware Machinery unless you plan on refinishing as some fitment may be required. For your first build look for a good mil spec lower such as PSA, Spikes, Stag, DPMS etc. All should serve you well. Good luck finding one right now due to the AWB talk by our "leaders".

What is your take on New Frontier Armory as there are many at Gunbroker.com? There are both full and stripped lowers.

Yunno, I'm not really in a rush, but with all of the uncertainty of pending AWB, I feel compelled to speed things up sooner than planned, otherwise, I'd just place an order and wait. Seems that there might be an 8- 12 month back order time frame.

As for price, capitalism is in full bloom, Supply/Demand. The prices are as they should be. Unfortunately for many of us, we arrived late at the dance. Please be patient with those of us who are seeing the light later as we seem to be getting the crumbs.

With any panic scenario, there is power in numbers and those of you who are flush with ammo and firearms, might consider helping those of us that might one day have your back but can't due to shortages. Just a thought and thanks.

Last edited by Doc McGlock; 02-06-2013 at 11:43..
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43   #16
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
What is your take on New Frontier Armory as there are many at Gunbroker.com? There are both full and stripped lowers.
They are plastic garbage IMHO. Friends don't let friends buy plastic lowers.

Last edited by Travclem; 02-06-2013 at 10:44..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:46   #17
KK40384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
They are plastic garbage IMHO. Friends don't let friends buy plastic lowers.
I wouldn't go as far as calling them garbage but they are not forged like the mil-spec ones. I wouldn't buy one.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59   #18
KK40384

For those that are wondering about what the receivers are going to be here's a pic and parts list:

Black Rifle Forum

Wilson Combat 18" 300 Blackout barrel
Troy 7.62 Medieval Muzzle Brake
Troy 15" Alpha Rail FDE
Troy Lo-pro Gas Block
Magpul STR Mil-spec stock
PSA MOE LPK w/o fire control group

I'm still waiting on my FCG on backorder and need to find a BCG then decide on optics. It will be a Configured similar to a SPR.