Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 18:37   #1
smokepole

16 Gage for home defense

I have a Remmington Model 870 in 16 gage that I no longer hunt with nor does any of my family. My father gave this gun to me when I was young and we shared many a quail hunting trips with it, so I will never sell it. It is just going to waste in the closet as it is. I am wanting to have a shotgun for personal defense. I was thinking of getting the barrel shorten to 181/2 inches and see if there is a poly stock and forend to fit a 16 gage. If not the stock could be cut down to make a pistol grip out of it. Has anyone ever tried this project before on a 16 gage if, so I would love to here from you. I can afford to purchase a new 12 gage if need be, but hate to spend money on something that hopefully I will never use except to practice with.
Black Rifle #539
Kalashnikov Klub 2512
G30 G23 G26 9mm barrel
colt 1911 series 70
smokepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 20:54   #2
Aceman

Well, not as good as a 12g, but better than a 20g. Do they even make buck in 16g?????

I'd just cut it down and go on with it.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 21:02   #3
countrygun

As one who thinks that there is nothing wrong with a 20, I think the 16 would be fine from a payload standpoint, but as difficult as suitable 16 ga ammo would be to find, and as easy and as much variety as there is in 12, AND the fact that 12s aren't all that expensive, especially used, I would leave it as it is and get a 12. you have a much better chance of getting a load it likes rather than having to settle for whatever you can get in 16.

I faced a similar problem when my LGS go a Browning auto5 in 16 that had been chopped. The shop owner offered it to me cheap but I didn't want the ammo headache. The gun would have been worth more with the full barrel or chopped in 12, as it was, it was about the most "devalued" it could have been.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 21:35   #4
Aceman

Definitely find SD ammo first...
Old 02-12-2013, 22:37   #5
smokepole

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
As one who thinks that there is nothing wrong with a 20, I think the 16 would be fine from a payload standpoint, but as difficult as suitable 16 ga ammo would be to find, and as easy and as much variety as there is in 12, AND the fact that 12s aren't all that expensive, especially used, I would leave it as it is and get a 12. you have a much better chance of getting a load it likes rather than having to settle for whatever you can get in 16.

I faced a similar problem when my LGS go a Browning auto5 in 16 that had been chopped. The shop owner offered it to me cheap but I didn't want the ammo headache. The gun would have been worth more with the full barrel or chopped in 12, as it was, it was about the most "devalued" it could have been.
Good point on the ammo it would be a hassle getting it. On the other hand, it's not like handgun and rifle ammo in that I would not be buying large quantities of it.
When it is all said and done I will most likely opt for a 12 gage Mossberg in some form.
Then trying to decide between a full butt stock or a pistol grip but that is for another thread.
Black Rifle #539
Kalashnikov Klub 2512
G30 G23 G26 9mm barrel
colt 1911 series 70
Old 02-12-2013, 22:49   #6
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokepole View Post
Good point on the ammo it would be a hassle getting it. On the other hand, it's not like handgun and rifle ammo in that I would not be buying large quantities of it.
When it is all said and done I will most likely opt for a 12 gage Mossberg in some form.
Then trying to decide between a full butt stock or a pistol grip but that is for another thread.
Full stock, trust me on this. Experience speaking. Especially if you are not going to practice with it a lot.
Old 02-12-2013, 22:56   #7
smokepole

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Full stock, trust me on this. Experience speaking. Especially if you are not going to practice with it a lot.
I hear you on the full stock, but I change my mine every other day. Today's choice was pistol grip LOL Is that what you have? I wonder how many have got the pistol grip and regretted it?
Black Rifle #539
Kalashnikov Klub 2512
G30 G23 G26 9mm barrel
colt 1911 series 70
Old 02-12-2013, 23:06   #8
countrygun

Quote:
I hear you on the full stock, but I change my mine every other day. Today's choice was pistol grip LOL Is that what you have? I wonder how many have got the pistol grip and regretted it?
I've had several Mossbergs. I used to get them set up with ghost rings (before it was factory option) and some one would try it and offer me a good profit so I'd get another. I had one with a pistol grip for about 24 hrs. I got it at a heck of a price from some one who wised up fast. I was going to full stock it but I got offered a profit on it as soon as I got back from the range.

I like the Mossberg because of the safety position. A pistol grip makes it very unhandy.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:53   #9
smokepole

Quote:
I guess you could buy one with stock butt and purchase a pistol grip later if you wanted to go that route!
Black Rifle #539
Kalashnikov Klub 2512
G30 G23 G26 9mm barrel
colt 1911 series 70
Old 02-13-2013, 15:21   #10
fiasconva

I wouldn't alter anything that has that much sentimental value. Once it's done you just may regret it. I'd just find a 12 gauge in a pawn shop that has been used. You can find 16 gauge in most Bass Pro's and Dick's but not a lot of it. The standard for 16 gauge in no.1 buck. I think it's the largest they make for a 16. My grandfather killed well over 100 deer with his 16 so it will do the job.
Old 02-13-2013, 15:30   #11
bobmitchum

16g for home defense

I did the following to a similar set up, an OLD Ithaca 16g pump - and really liked the results:

Barrel to 18.25"
Install high visibility bead
Reduce length of stock by 2.5", then installed a good pad
Sling swivels
Renew mag spring - leave at standard capacity
Field strip and clean all internals, then lube it up

Scoured the internet and various (Midway, Natchez, etc) for sale prices on 16g buck (Federal #1 Buck, Power Shok) and slugs (Federal, Remington, etc - easier to find than buck ...)
I would also have no problem using #2 birdshot for close work.

FWIW ...

bobmitchum
bobmitchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 16:40   #12
smokepole

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasconva View Post
I wouldn't alter anything that has that much sentimental value. Once it's done you just may regret it. I'd just find a 12 gauge in a pawn shop that has been used. You can find 16 gauge in most Bass Pro's and Dick's but not a lot of it. The standard for 16 gauge in no.1 buck. I think it's the largest they make for a 16. My grandfather killed well over 100 deer with his 16 so it will do the job.
That sounds like good advice because it does have a lot of sentimental value especially since my father has passed. We share a lot of good times together and that gun is a reminder of that. As you say I think at some point I would come to regret it.

Thanks, fiasconva
Black Rifle #539
Kalashnikov Klub 2512
G30 G23 G26 9mm barrel
colt 1911 series 70
Old 02-13-2013, 19:20   #13
K.Kiser

A 16 will have zero trouble stopping a human... Someone will eventually tell you that they read a story where a guy swallowed a live grenade, but was able to walk to a pay phone and was smoking a cig when the ambulance arrived.. If you shoot an intruder center mass at home distances with any buckshot and said intruder still poses a threat, it wasn't human to begin with..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 16:33   #14
fiasconva

You are most welcome. I've been in your place and sometimes you just have to take a step back and decide which is most important.
Old 02-14-2013, 20:27   #15
Aceman

Do you mean Pistol grip only, Pistol grip + stock, or just stock?

Mossberg is awesome with a regular stock.

I prefer the Pistol Grip + stock for HD purposes, but it takes a little practice.

Just pistol grip? HAve done it. Can do it. Choose not to do it.
Old 02-14-2013, 22:24   #16
smokepole

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to just buy a new shotgun. Today I purchased a Remington 870 Tactical. I don't know if any of you have looked for a new shotgun lately but the supply is pretty well dried up. I had to drive 50 miles to get this one. It's a plane Jane, but that is the way I like it, Less is more with me. I enjoy looking at other peoples guns that have all the bells and whistles. It's kind of like tattoos I like to look at other peoples, but do not want one myself. I will add a light to it for sure but that is about it. May look into adding a side saddle not sure yet.
Thanks again for your posts they were a great help and cooler heads prevailed and I am glade I did not cut up my 16.I can now look back on it with fond memories.
Black Rifle #539
Kalashnikov Klub 2512
G30 G23 G26 9mm barrel
colt 1911 series 70
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08   #17
Gunnut 45/454

I got my Dad's Sweet Sixteen A5 when he passed away. It's a full choke and I worked up a nice 9 pellet buck load for it, I cast my own just got a .31 caliber black powder mold. Paterns very nicely out to 25 yards. Factory ammo is hit or miss and I hadn't seen any buck loads. It's a shame too cause 16 ga is a fine gauge.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:52   #18
smokepole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
I got my Dad's Sweet Sixteen A5 when he passed away. It's a full choke and I worked up a nice 9 pellet buck load for it, I cast my own just got a .31 caliber black powder mold. Paterns very nicely out to 25 yards. Factory ammo is hit or miss and I hadn't seen any buck loads. It's a shame too cause 16 ga is a fine gauge.
I have my grandfathers A5 that shoots the 2 9/16 shell. I have never shot it. Some day I might find someone to load me some up I might shoot it. I agree I liked the 16 gauge very much.
Black Rifle #539
Kalashnikov Klub 2512
G30 G23 G26 9mm barrel
colt 1911 series 70
Old 02-15-2013, 15:20   #19
fiasconva

Smokepole, both polywad.com and RSTshells.com make shells for your 2 9/16 chamber. Check out their web sites.
Old 02-15-2013, 15:24   #20
smokepole

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasconva View Post
smokepole, both polywad.com and rstshells.com make shells for your 2 9/16 chamber. Check out their web sites.
Thanks, I will. Will the 2 1/2 cycle through ok?
Black Rifle #539
Kalashnikov Klub 2512
G30 G23 G26 9mm barrel
colt 1911 series 70

Last edited by smokepole; 02-15-2013 at 15:38..