Shocking Numbers That Show The Media Is Lying To You About Unemployment

http://www.infowars.com/shocking-num...nt-in-america/
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10   #2
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Noooooooooooooooooo !

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15   #3
MZBKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
The labor force is defined as the number of people working or looking for work.

The unemployment rate is defined as the percentage of the labor force that is not working.

If many unemployed people stop looking for work, even though they haven't found jobs,, the unemployment rate will drop. This may be counter-intuitive, but it is not the fault of the media -- it's just the definition of of unemployment rate.

If people are too ignorant to know what the unemployment rate tells us, it does not point to a giant conspiracy.
MZBKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21   #4
JBnTX
Texas

The US news media has an agenda that they follow for the purpose of guiding American citizens to a predetermined political conclusion.

Lying is a major tenet of that agenda.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31   #5
jdavionic
NRA Member

And to think we used to laugh at the propaganda machine in the USSR.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:48   #6
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBKA View Post
The labor force is defined as the number of people working or looking for work.

The unemployment rate is defined as the percentage of the labor force that is not working.

If many unemployed people stop looking for work, even though they haven't found jobs,, the unemployment rate will drop. This may be counter-intuitive, but it is not the fault of the media -- it's just the definition of of unemployment rate.

If people are too ignorant to know what the unemployment rate tells us, it does not point to a giant conspiracy.
When people run out of unemployment benefits they are no longer considered to be looking for work. I know several people that are looking for work that fall into this category.

Aren't you getting tired of carrying Obama's water?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58   #7
Happypuppy

I know a lot of people that are underemployed as well. These are people that were managers in everything from IT to the financial sector. They hit the magic age of 45 or so lost their job and no one wants to hire them. They now work in retail or at 7-11 type stores.
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08   #8
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Put simply: There are more takers than makers. And the government cannot sugarcoat this much longer.
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
- Rudyard Kipling, 1919

jeanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28   #9
sweetsdream

I personally know tens of people that were laid-off the same time I was (thousands were but I'm only talking about people I know) that ran out of benefits and are desperately looking. They are not counted as unemployed, some are even counted as two or three jobs since that's the only way they can feed their families now. One of my best friends sprays fertilizer on lawns during the weekend, Busch Gardens cleaning trash cans whenever they give him hours and as a waiter at night. He is a college educated engineer with over 25 years of experience. He's too young to retire, makes too much now to collect welfare and is in that unspoken group in America that has been forgotten about.

Another thing most people don't understand about the unemployment rate is that when they say 150,000 are added per month, that is the normal population growth that enters the workforce every month.

Tom

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
sweetsdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02   #10
ScubaSven
PersonaNonGrata

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
Put simply: There are more takers than makers. And the government cannot sugarcoat this much longer.
We have created a system in which the top 1% own approximately 40% of the nation's wealth and the bottom 80% own only 7%. Factor in children, disabled and elderly . . . of course there are going to be more tax revenue "takers" than "makers".
Old 02-03-2013, 12:03   #11
MZBKA

Quote:
When people run out of unemployment benefits they are no longer considered to be looking for work. I know several people that are looking for work that fall into this category.

You're wrong. The BLS conducts a telephone survey to determine the labor force and unemployment numbers. It doesn't look at who gets unemployment benefits.

All I've done is stated facts. Do I have to be ignorant in order not to carry Obama's water?

Last edited by MZBKA; 02-03-2013 at 12:03..
Old 02-03-2013, 13:23   #12
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
And to think we used to laugh at the propaganda machine in the USSR.
To be fair, infowars has about as much relation to reality as Pravda ever did.

If you've got another source, preferably one that doesn't cite infowars as the original, I'd listen. Otherwise, it's like listening to Sarah Brady talk about guns.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:29   #13
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
You're wrong. The BLS conducts a telephone survey to determine the labor force and unemployment numbers. It doesn't look at who gets unemployment benefits.

All I've done is stated facts. Do I have to be ignorant in order not to carry Obama's water?

Why yes they do, they contact employers and they do a household survey which, is the one that they use to tabulate unemployment numbers. That said, people who have expended their unemployment benefits are no longer considered to be in the work force even if they are actively seeking employment.

Here are some more facts for you. In the half century prior to obama the only time that we have had unemployment declines on the order of what the obungo admin. claims, we have had GDP growth between 7 and 10%, numbers that we haven't come close to during his term.
Old 02-03-2013, 14:03   #14
HarlDane

There are various UE figures, their formulas and calculations are all public knowledge and published freely on the internet. If anyone is confused about what the different rates mean or how they are come by, it's only because they choose not to be informed.

It's been that way through various administrations and in good times and bad.
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:18   #15
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
To be fair, infowars has about as much relation to reality as Pravda ever did.

If you've got another source, preferably one that doesn't cite infowars as the original, I'd listen. Otherwise, it's like listening to Sarah Brady talk about guns.
The article cited BLS numbers. How much better a source do you want than that??

Last edited by cowboy1964; 02-03-2013 at 14:18..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:36   #16
walt cowan

green shoots! oh ye fools!
Old 02-03-2013, 15:49   #17
MZBKA

Quote:
Why yes they do, they contact employers and they do a household survey which, is the one that they use to tabulate unemployment numbers. That said, people who have expended their unemployment benefits are no longer considered to be in the work force even if they are actively seeking employment.
Again, this simply isn't true. The BLS doesn't consider whether one is collecting unemployment benefits when determining whether one is looking for work. You are welcome to check the BLS' website or do a Google search to inform yourself - but saying the same ignorant things over and over certainly does not make something true.

Quote:
Here are some more facts for you. In the half century prior to obama the only time that we have had unemployment declines on the order of what the obungo admin. claims, we have had GDP growth between 7 and 10%, numbers that we haven't come close to during his term.
Your attacking a straw man if you think I'm defending Obama's record on the economy. We both don't like Obama's policies - The difference between us is I understand how unemployment numbers are calculated. You do not and this lack of understanding has lead to your believing a conspiracy theory.
Old 02-03-2013, 16:40   #18
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Again, this simply isn't true. The BLS doesn't consider whether one is collecting unemployment benefits when determining whether one is looking for work. You are welcome to check the BLS' website or do a Google search to inform yourself - but saying the same ignorant things over and over certainly does not make something true.

Your attacking a straw man if you think I'm defending Obama's record on the economy. We both don't like Obama's policies - The difference between us is I understand how unemployment numbers are calculated. You do not and this lack of understanding has lead to your believing a conspiracy theory.

Making 9 Million Jobless "Vanish": How The Government Manipulates Unemployment Statistics

http://danielamerman.com/articles/2012/WorkC.html
Old 02-03-2013, 18:50   #19
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSven View Post
We have created a system in which the top 1% own approximately 40% of the nation's wealth and the bottom 80% own only 7%. Factor in children, disabled and elderly . . . of course there are going to be more tax revenue "takers" than "makers".
Well, let me put it another way... More money is paid out by the government than they take in. If you want to redistribute that money from the top 1%, tax revenues would be even less.
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
- Rudyard Kipling, 1919

jeanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 20:41   #20
IvanVic

Quote:

You are either a blithering idiot, or just legitimately mentally handicapped. This has been explained to you I don't know how many times, and none of this has changed under this president, it's always worked that way.
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote