55yrds
110gr pryodex RS
Winchester Primer
TC or Traditions bullet ( i believe they are the same ) 44mag 240gr

Here's she layout in prairie grass

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

WMD

Last edited by noway; 02-03-2013 at 21:51..
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 22:43   #2
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

TD! TD!

Tenderloin Down!

It looks like there might be some tender little pigs running around as well.
And those little targets are harder to hit.
Need some help?

Last edited by bustedknee; 02-03-2013 at 22:44..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38   #3
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
Tenderloin Down!

Good work, Noway, especially with a muzzlegun. At 55 yds., did you get it out in that open country or in the woods?

Curious, too, about the meat. About how much did she weigh and how much meat do you typically get from the wild pigs? Is there a lot more fat than on a deer? Is it good; at all like store bought pork? Do you cook any of the hindquarter like steak or do you sausage all the meat except the backstraps?

Some say the big, older hogs aren't good eating, do most hunters just leave them? Is that legal?

I've long wanted to hunt javelina but have never hunted them or wild pig. Someday maybe....

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:34   #4
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post

Good work, Noway, especially with a muzzlegun. At 55 yds., did you get it out in that open country or in the woods?

Curious, too, about the meat. About how much did she weigh and how much meat do you typically get from the wild pigs? Is there a lot more fat than on a deer? Is it good; at all like store bought pork? Do you cook any of the hindquarter like steak or do you sausage all the meat except the backstraps?

Some say the big, older hogs aren't good eating, do most hunters just leave them? Is that legal?

I've long wanted to hunt javelina but have never hunted them or wild pig. Someday maybe....

Yes open field approx 55yrds, light brush and grass

Weight approx 125lbs

All wild game is lean including deer. Wild pork is leaner than domestic hogs, unnless it fielding on grains

On this hog I removed the tenderloins and wil cut the backstraps into chop cutlets and then grinding the ham and shoulders and make a blended sausage use a country blend of seasons.

I don't know how one would rate a wild hog by age, but any wild older game wouldn't be nice and as sweet as a younger age. Boars ( male ) are typically more stank than a sow ( female ) unless it's a caponize male ( aka barred hog ). Any wild game can be blended with domestic meats to make it taste better.

On killing the hogs and leaving them, ranchers and farmers do this since this a rodent by their recogining. I guess on any state law any animal killed and wasted could results in a willful and waste citation. I would not shoot a hog to leave it.

Javelina are true pig like creatures of the new world , but are not a pig. They are harder to get and some what smarter than a hog. They also graze longer and farther increasing your means of getting one. This due to the areas they roam in W/SW-tejas, AZ,NM,Brazil,etc.....

If you get a chance to hunt hogs/javelina, take up the chance and don't turn it down.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:32   #5
Adjuster

I don't want to know your secret spots(ok, yes I do) but was just curious if that was private land or public land and what general area of Florida?

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:31   #6
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I don't want to know your secret spots(ok, yes I do) but was just curious if that was private land or public land and what general area of Florida?

/
Public lands near chandler slough near hwy98 seasons goes into march
Old 02-07-2013, 11:50   #7
Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post

I just did some Googling. That looks like a very nice area.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:55   #8
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Quote:
Need a hunt pardner Have AK will travel
Here's my last two hogs
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 21:26   #9
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Yes open field approx 55yrds, light brush and grass

Weight approx 125lbs

All wild game is lean including deer. Wild pork is leaner than domestic hogs, unnless it fielding on grains

On this hog I removed the tenderloins and wil cut the backstraps into chop cutlets and then grinding the ham and shoulders and make a blended sausage use a country blend of seasons.

I don't know how one would rate a wild hog by age, but any wild older game wouldn't be nice and as sweet as a younger age. Boars ( male ) are typically more stank than a sow ( female ) unless it's a caponize male ( aka barred hog ). Any wild game can be blended with domestic meats to make it taste better.

On killing the hogs and leaving them, ranchers and farmers do this since this a rodent by their recogining. I guess on any state law any animal killed and wasted could results in a willful and waste citation. I would not shoot a hog to leave it.

Javelina are true pig like creatures of the new world , but are not a pig. They are harder to get and some what smarter than a hog. They also graze longer and farther increasing your means of getting one. This due to the areas they roam in W/SW-tejas, AZ,NM,Brazil,etc.....

If you get a chance to hunt hogs/javelina, take up the chance and don't turn it down.
Noway, thanks for your reply, it answered questions I've wondered about for a while, that it's worthwhile to hunt hogs for food. Gotta do it someday.

I've watched and gotten close to javelinas in AZ, NM and west TX. Had a group of them come into our campground in Ft. Davis. They got within 10 ft. of us looking for food as my wife and I stood on top of the picnic table. Yea, I had my Glock but didn't have a license and didn't want any trouble....

Cute little piggies. Still, I really wanted to hang one over the campfire!

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:06   #10
noway

Javelinas are roamers. Because of this fact they are harder to hunt imho.And from my personal experience any strange smell or sounds they hear cause them to scatter in a wink of a eye.

Btw they ( javelina ) are not pigs but peccaries.

Dwayne,
that area is classified as non-centerfire rifle. Your AK would equal a citation or worst confiscation if caught. Any thing that's not shoulder mounted rifle would be okay for that area. I do wonder tho if a handgun with rifle bbl would be legal since the area summary says no centerfire rifle.

So a contender/encore/xp100 and using let's say 7-30waters/7.62x39 in a pistol frame would be legal but then again I'm not a lawyer.
Old 02-10-2013, 15:11   #11
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Noway, thanks for your reply, it answered questions I've wondered about for a while, that it's worthwhile to hunt hogs for food. Gotta do it someday.

I've watched and gotten close to javelinas in AZ, NM and west TX. Had a group of them come into our campground in Ft. Davis. They got within 10 ft. of us looking for food as my wife and I stood on top of the picnic table. Yea, I had my Glock but didn't have a license and didn't want any trouble....

Cute little piggies. Still, I really wanted to hang one over the campfire!
When the pack of javelina roam through the campground, those little hooves on dry creek bed make lots of noise.

I remember thinking "I bet I dont want them in my tent. We have enough trouble with air mattress leaks."

The slightest noise would send them running though. We could stamd behind a car to photograph them in the evenings, but the noise of a camera shutter was enough to make them detour away from you.
Some evenings you can just watch all the wildlife come to you at Davis Mtns State park.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357

Last edited by Texas357; 02-10-2013 at 15:14..
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 21:51   #12
duncan
Lifetime Membership

That is one sow that will not be breeding! Muzzleloader - cool! Been thinking muzzleloader for elk myself.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29   #13
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Here's my superbowl weekend hog

SOW
Muzzleloader 50cal/44cal
55yrds
110gr pryodex RS
Winchester Primer
TC or Traditions bullet ( i believe they are the same ) 44mag 240gr

Here's she layout in prairie grass

WMD

Nice goin amigo !
Good job !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 22:19   #14
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:

I've only eaten wild hogs under 100 lbs., but IMHO it is the best meat I've ever eaten, way better than store pork. First brown it and then cook at 225 degrees for 4 or 5 hours.