GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 01:57   #1
TxGlock9
Senior Member
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,859
May seem weird but I don't like shooting 147gr

Not anymore at least. I prefer the 115 or 124gr, OR all 3 grains in +P.

I shot AE ammunition through my g19 today in all for weights and after shooting the 147 it just felt like shooting nothing in a way. A no recoil sensation. Just a small push.

What I love shooting is the Winchester Nato 124grain bullets.
__________________
My name is John
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:42   #2
Kentguy
Senior Member
 
Kentguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kent, OH
Posts: 1,212
TxGlock9,

I too am not a big fan of the 9mm 147g bullet.

I have settled in on the 124g bullet/rounds for all my 9mm shooting from general practice up to serious Home/Self Defense rounds. Works great & feels good in all my Glock 9mm's (3).
__________________
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
óRudyard Kipling
Kentguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53   #3
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 31,495


I like 147 gr in the carbine, generally try to get 124gr for the pistols. As for how it performs, I have no concerns about a modern 147gr load in 4+" guns.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:13   #4
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,620
I like the mild recoil of 147s but don't shoot them due to the cost. I am switching to 147 HSTs for my PM9 because of the recoil and excellent performance from the 3" barrel. Sticking with 124+P Gold Dots for everything else (at least for now, but am thinking about switching to 124+P HSTs).

This is why I'm switching to 147 HSTs in the PM9:


Last edited by cowboy1964; 05-27-2014 at 11:14..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:29   #5
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 31,495


Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I like the mild recoil of 147s but don't shoot them due to the cost. I am switching to 147 HSTs for my PM9 because of the recoil and excellent performance from the 3" barrel. Sticking with 124+P Gold Dots for everything else (at least for now, but am thinking about switching to 124+P HSTs).

This is why I'm switching to 147 HSTs in the PM9:

Ammo Quest 9mm: Federal HST 147gr standard pressure test in ballistic gel - YouTube
That's impressive performance.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 14:48   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 60,768


If I were to want to shoot subsonic loads, I'd use calibers that are already subsonic.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 15:39   #7
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
If I were to want to shoot subsonic loads, I'd use calibers that are already subsonic.
What's so magical about supersonic? I'd shoot a 500 fps round if it performed the best.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 05-27-2014 at 15:40..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 18:33   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 60,768


Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
What's so magical about supersonic? I'd shoot a 500 fps round if it performed the best.
Nothing magical about supersonic rounds. However, I am not going to shoot a caliber that's supersonic by design but now downgraded to subsonic.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 21:53   #9
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy
 
Glock19Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Nothing magical about supersonic rounds. However, I am not going to shoot a caliber that's supersonic by design but now downgraded to subsonic.
I can understand your point if the weight were to remain constant but with such a small gap in velocity and with a significant increase in weight it doesnt matter to me or most others. In fact for many it would make sense for target practice or suppressed firearms because they make less noise and are generally more accurate.

As for me personally, I havent shot 147 grain ammunition in a while mostly due to supply. I still have some WWB 147 grain loads both in FPFMJ as well as JHP and I even keep the JHP in a couple of my 9mms for defense.

My point is that you shouldnt base what ammunition you like primarily on how it shoots because the 147 grain (and other heavy for caliber loads) generally perform very well compared to other weights. With a softer recoiling load this is an advantage when dealing with the recoil sensitive, super compact handguns, and beginning shooters.
__________________
Never mistake Kindness for Weakness
Glock19Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 23:31   #10
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,949
I keep to 115- and 124-grain ammo for my 9mm.

For .357sig I think the 147-grain weight with proper JHP bullet design is a very formidable self-defense round.
__________________
Rocket Scientist

Last edited by unit1069; 05-28-2014 at 23:31..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 00:08   #11
TxGlock9
Senior Member
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post

My point is that you shouldnt base what ammunition you like primarily on how it shoots because the 147 grain (and other heavy for caliber loads) generally perform very well compared to other weights. With a softer recoiling load this is an advantage when dealing with the recoil sensitive, super compact handguns, and beginning shooters.
I agree. I was just talking about for plinking around at the range.
__________________
My name is John
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:34   #12
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy
 
Glock19Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I keep to 115- and 124-grain ammo for my 9mm.

For .357sig I think the 147-grain weight with proper JHP bullet design is a very formidable self-defense round.
These 147 grain 9mm Gold Dots expanded to .81 after 4 layers of denim into gel impacting at 1150 FPS from a 4 inch barrel.


I think I will test the 115 grain +P+ load later but I dont think I will use denim
__________________
Never mistake Kindness for Weakness
Glock19Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:33   #13
TxGlock9
Senior Member
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,859
I would love to try underwood ammo. they use gold dot bullets still?

edit: just checked.
__________________
My name is John

Last edited by TxGlock9; 05-29-2014 at 03:36..
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:36   #14
cadillacguns
Senior Member
 
cadillacguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA
Posts: 4,585
I witnessed a LEO only ammunition test hosted by SPEER/FEDERAL a few years ago, one of the highlights was the ammo rep firing a 165 GR .40 Federal HST into the test media (FBI Protocol) and then a 147 GR 9mm HST (Sig pistols) into identical test media material. The recovered test rounds were almost exact in size and recovered weight, without the calipers and scale for measurement you could not tell a 18 GR differfence (165-147).
__________________
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!


"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:02   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 60,768


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
My point is that you shouldnt base what ammunition you like primarily on how it shoots because the 147 grain (and other heavy for caliber loads) generally perform very well compared to other weights. With a softer recoiling load this is an advantage when dealing with the recoil sensitive, super compact handguns, and beginning shooters.
If the 145-gr 9mm bullet were so great, more people, civilians, cops, and military, would be shooting more of them by now.

Also, talking about softer recoiling...you do realize that you're talking about the 9mm Parabellum round right? It's already soft recoil regardless of load.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:11   #16
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy
 
Glock19Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
If the 145-gr 9mm bullet were so great, more people, civilians, cops, and military, would be shooting more of them by now.

Also, talking about softer recoiling...you do realize that you're talking about the 9mm Parabellum round right? It's already soft recoil regardless of load.
If the 10mm were so great, more people, civilians, cops, and military, would be shooting more of them by now.

Also, do you realize what thread you are in? The OP specifically stated that he didnt like the 147 grain loads because they didnt have enough recoil.
__________________
Never mistake Kindness for Weakness
Glock19Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 16:34   #17
bigviv17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 96
Maybe im weird but I don't feel a difference in shooting 147 or 124, so I like them both. So does my g17. Shot nato, American eagle, wwb, blazer, ranger t, hst, gold dots, all in varouis weights.
bigviv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 18:47   #18
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 60,768


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
If the 10mm were so great, more people, civilians, cops, and military, would be shooting more of them by now.
That's because it's a wussy ass caliber.

Quote:
Also, do you realize what thread you are in? The OP specifically stated that he didnt like the 147 grain loads because they didnt have enough recoil.
Yes, I know which thread I'm in, and I stated my reason for not liking the 147-gr 9mm load.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 20:04   #19
TxGlock9
Senior Member
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigviv17 View Post
Maybe im weird but I don't feel a difference in shooting 147 or 124, so I like them both. So does my g17. Shot nato, American eagle, wwb, blazer, ranger t, hst, gold dots, all in varouis weights.
Just need more trigger time to discern the difference.
__________________
My name is John
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:17   #20
ca survivor
Senior Member
 
ca survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,142
I have a P-7 so I don't buy 147s
__________________
God has been extremely good to me! Thank you God.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:06.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds
GT Store


Users Currently Online: 1,247
347 Members
900 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31